The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 3, 2013, 11:03 AM   #1
pete2

Concealed carry

I have a 642 revolver and an LC9 pistol. I bought the auto some years after the 642 and I find the auto easier to shoot but after carrying both I find the slight weight difference to be quite noticeable, the 642 seems much lighter than the LC. The difference is about 3 ounces, I wouldn't have thought I could tell the difference in a pocket but I can. Will continue to use the 642 as my pocket gun.
I don't know how much difference there would be in a holster.
Any ideas on this?
Old January 3, 2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Gaerek

First of, I'm hoping you at least use a pocket holster. Second, what kind of holster are we talking? I'm pretty surprised that you can tell the difference between 3 oz. I don't really notice the weight difference too much of any gun with less than about 6oz of difference. For me, when a gun is attached to the hip on a holster, I don't notice it nearly as much as I do when I have a gun in my pocket. My 15oz (loaded) LCR, is more noticeable in my pocket than my 30+oz G19 in an IWB holster. But that's just me.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:00 AM   #3
kraigwy

Quote:
I bought the auto some years after the 642 and I find the auto easier to shoot but after carrying both I find the slight weight difference to be quite noticeable, the 642 seems much lighter than the LC.
It's pretty much a certainly that you'll carry more then you will shoot. The lighter and more comfortable the gun is to carry, the less chance you'll leave in in the truck or home, defeating the purpose of the CCW.

My opinion on the subject is choose the one that easier to carry, THEN, practice with it until you can shoot it as good or better then your heavier gun you now shoot better.

Any gun is useless if its not available when you need it.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 4, 2013, 03:59 PM   #4
testuser

Don't worry, you're not the only one. I've found that a 15 ounce J-frame is the maximum I can comfortably carry in my pocket. (The more rounded profile of the revolver is also a plus.)

Despite their profile, a lot of the single stacked autos like the Ruger LC9, Walther PPS, and M&P Shield are actually quite heavy guns for their size. Heck, an LC9 weighs about the same as a Glock 26 and is actually heavier than a Walther P99c.

Many of these single stacks are best when carried on a belt. They're going to work well for people that find a double stacked auto to be uncomfortable due to the width. I've never had a problem concealing a slightly fatter gun inside the waistband, so I usually stick to compact double stacked models, which can do double duty as house guns with full size magazines and a grip adapter.

Although, I can't argue about the Keltec PF 9, it comes in at just over 12 ounces, but like a lot of single stacks also has a LONG double action only trigger...definitely not my favorite.

Last edited by testuser; January 4, 2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old January 4, 2013, 04:54 PM   #5
bt380

For me, conceal carry had more to do w/ understanding clothing vs printing and especially getting used to carry. In certain times of the year, conditions for type of carry change. The initial carrying of a weapon was not natural and had to be a learned condition. It took a few differnt holsters before I found the right fit for me. You may find that there will be 10 different people with 10 different weapons w/ 10 different holsters and none of them work for you. Then you will settle on something and it will become your new learned natural carry. You may hit the perfect comnbination right off. I didn't.
Old January 4, 2013, 05:18 PM   #6
BigJimP

Comfort is primarily a result of --- the holster and the belt you choose to carry with, in my view...

Personally, I don't find weight to be a big factor...I primarily carry a 5" full sized 1911...and while its relatively thin...its not light / but in the right holster and with the right belt ...its no more difficult to carry than another 1911 I have that has an alloy frame and is a 4" gun...( and while there is a differnce of about 9 oz in those 2 guns that I have..) ...its really no difference in terms of how they feel in the holster.

Now I do notice a big difference - if I were to carry a double stack gun - like a Sig 229 or 226 ...because of the width, I don't like either of them in an IWB holster - because they're too wide to be comfortable.
Old January 4, 2013, 05:25 PM   #7
jimbob86

Quote:
Now I do notice a big difference - if I were to carry a double stack gun - like a Sig 229 or 226 ...because of the width, I don't like either of them in an IWB holster - because they're too wide to be comfortable.
This.

I gave up on revolvers because I could not find a way to carry them IWB comfortably...... that and I have never been a very good DA shot.

A good gun belt and a good IWB holster make weight almost irrelavant.
Old January 4, 2013, 07:00 PM   #8
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I don't know how much difference there would be in a holster.
Do you mean carrying the gun in a belt holster? As an aside, even with pocket carry, you should be carrying it a holster.

Anyway, with a proper gun belt and holster, even heavy guns can be very easy to carry. A good gun belt will transfer the weight evenly rather than concentrating the weight in one area, like say your pocket.

So yes, carrying with a proper belt and holster really makes a difference.
Old January 4, 2013, 08:39 PM   #9
warningshot

Since we are talking 3 onces difference...

I'd carry an extra 3 onces of additional ammunition on the oppostie side and balance out the load.
Old January 4, 2013, 10:11 PM   #10
michael t

You know years back before CC was common We carried steel frame S&W 36 or PPK/S in pockets and didn't think a thing about weight I used a good leather pocket holster and carried every day.
People CC carried S&W 19 snubs on the belts with good holsters. 1911 's also. To day every one wants some lite weight pistol The complains that they have 2 much recoil or that 1 lb is to heavy in the pocket .
Get a good Belt and holster and carry a steel frame . You won't really notice the weight and the recoil even with a hot load be a lot less.

Never carry a pistol in your pocket with out a holster or stuck in your pants gangster style. Use proper equipment.
Old January 5, 2013, 12:53 AM   #11
jimbob86

Quote:
I'd carry an extra 3 onces of additional ammunition on the oppostie side and balance out the load.
Only works if you have a good belt and holster to distribute the weight.

A wet noodle won't balance anything, as both sides will sag.

I've always wondered about these saggy pants "OG's" always rappin' 'bout their "gat" ..... how do you carry a "G-lock" without a belt, especially when your pants are so loose you need to hold them up with one hand to keep them from falling down around your ankles?
Old January 5, 2013, 02:11 AM   #12
warningshot

Street creep types like to tie one end of a string around their waste and the other end onto a pistol and have the gun tangle inside those clown looking pants.

Maybe that's how that famous pro basketball play took a round from his own .380acp to the thigh. (Backseat, Limo, New York) ("Tuffest guy in the world won't search you there"...The Sting, Movie, 1973.