The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 21, 2012, 07:45 AM   #1
Arkmaker

Federal SP vs Federal Match SP

Hi guys,
I am new to reloading and the forum. So far I have loaded arounf 1K of 38 spl with various powders, bullets and used Federal SP and Tul Ammo SP primers.

I have been having a hard time finding SP primers in any brand, but when I was at my local store, I saw they had Federal Match SP primers in stock. I did not get them because I have not heard anything about them. What's your take on them and would they be ok to use in place of the standard small pistol primers other than the increased price? I prime using a hand primer, not on the press.

Thanks.
Old December 21, 2012, 08:02 AM   #2
spacecoast

They will be fine.
Old December 21, 2012, 08:26 AM   #3
Arkmaker

Thanks, that os what I thought, but figured it would be best to ask! Also, found the search which is what I should have used before posting the question. Live and learn!
Thanks again,
Now to see if they still have them ;-)
Old December 21, 2012, 08:42 AM   #4
jwrowland77

You can use magnum primers too. Just drop your load by 10% and work back up to load you have.
Old December 21, 2012, 09:07 AM   #5
Arkmaker

Magnums? I did not know that. If that is all they have in stock, I will give it a try.

I have not used the chrony on any of my loads yet. Need to get to the outdoor range for that. Been staying to the low loading limits on everything, except for my Accurate #2 loads, which started off light (3.0 gr) and I increased after testing out the previous loads. Up to 4.5 gr on this last batch of 50 and hoping to get to the range for testing today or tomorrow. I'm thinking that is going to be about as hot as I want to go. Truthfully, I like the low recoil from the light loads although the 3.0 loads were too light and 3.5 was a joy to shoot for 10-15 yards!! Ramble over..

Thanks again, looks like this forum will help me out a lot. Hope to help when I can, but really need more experience before that happens!