The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 15, 2010, 01:28 PM   #1
KingEdward

When would you dial 911? During or After

After reading stories and hearing tapes, It seems that often times
bad things continue to progress/happen (even to the victim) while calling
911 for help.

Medical emergency, calling asap makes sense.

If there is an outside threat (and particularly one that is trying to
force entry), my thinking is it's okay/fine if others are available
and they can call. I'm going to secure bad guy repellent and protect
home and family by trying to stop threat.

If I'm dealing with an imminent problem my mindset is focus
on the problem. I can call 911 if/when the threat either stops
or is stopped.

Most people say, "call 911 asap and get cops on the way". Sure,
if your alarm has sounded and glass is breaking and you are safe
in "safe room" with family. Or if as some are in the position of big
house, big dogs, sleep on the second level, time is abundant, etc.

But other times that simply isn't going to be the case. Why would I
tie up one hand and my thoughts and speaking while on the other
hand trying to focus on the threat level, the number of possible
assailants, taking cover, is the intruder armed? I would be asking myself
these questions internally.

How could one be doing that WELL (internalizing/assessing) and also carrying on another conversation with a third party?

I see reaching out to 911 as an after-thought once 'the dust settles'.

Maybe I approach it too much so in this line of thinking.

What is your view? When do you dial 911? 'During' or 'after'
Old February 15, 2010, 01:36 PM   #2
jhenry

Just as soon as it is safely possible to call. There is no possible way to answer firmly in either direction. The variables are too, well, variable.
Old February 15, 2010, 01:36 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

As soon as possible.

Unless, that is, you know that you are 100% capable of dealing with ANY outcome that may arise as a result of the situation.

There could be several attackers and you may not prevail. You may prevail but be injured so severely that you are unable to call for help after the incident. In an attack that occurred near my house some years ago, the defender was injured so badly he was unable to reach up to get to a phone. Fortunately he was able to crawl a few feet to a shop adjoining his in the strip mall where the attack took place. Had he been at home, alone and waited to dial 911 until after the incident, he would have died.

You don't have to "tie up one hand and my thoughts and speaking", just dial 911 and if you really can't spend the time/effort it takes to speak then leave the phone off the hook.
Old February 15, 2010, 01:43 PM   #4
Sixer

As soon as you are a safe distance from the incident, and can find a payphone...

Just kidding. Call the cops ASAP.

Before - NO
During - mmmm, probably not
After - YES!

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old February 15, 2010, 01:50 PM   #5
michael t

Where I live EC is 15 mins in good weather Sheriff or state police can be as long as 30 min again if weather good . I'll call if possible at start but myself or family will have to handle trouble. Sheriff told me one day to call him and he will bring corner to carry off the body. They know people in the country have to defend them selves. He has maybe 2 deputies on duty at night.
Old February 15, 2010, 02:14 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I think that the only answer that you can give in a general sense is "ASAP".

That doesn't mean "now", or in 30 seconds or 5 minutes. It mean As Soon As Possible. "Possible" is dictated by the ever changing circumstances of the developing situation.
Old February 15, 2010, 02:24 PM   #7
Wild Bill Bucks

If my car is parked outside, it would be my assumption, that someone trying to break in my home, would know I was inside with my family. If he is planning on coming in my house, I would naturally assume that he intends to do me harm.
If this be the case, then he should assume that I am going to blow his A$$ away.
Calling 911 is a great idea, if you have time to wait on a cop, but I can get to my shotgun in approx. 15 seconds, and I don't think any police departments response time is that quick. The difference in time could make the difference in life or death.
911, in this case, is who you call when the shooting stops.

If you have never heard a shotgun go off inside a house, it is a BIG bang, and will generally make almost anyone leave, but if they don't leave with a warning shot, then they are dog meat at my house.
Old February 15, 2010, 02:30 PM   #8
mete

OK, you've called 911, then what. I'm sure you all have heard some of the 911 calls where the person is completely hysterical and the operator has to work very hard to get critical info.
First take a couple of deep breaths and calm down as much as possible .No matter how much info you have to give or how critical ,the operator MUST understand you. Give only important info ,speaking clearly. No rapid talking, no shouting. Give info in order of importance in case you have to go ,but leave the phone off the hook. Remember it's being recorded that may help later [don't say anything stupid]. Some 911 systems automatically give the operator your house location - but be careful ,if you are outside the house make sure you tell them your exact location. Make sure you DON'T have a gun in your hand when cops arrive !!
Old February 15, 2010, 03:24 PM   #9
rburch

Quote:
Calling 911 is a great idea, if you have time to wait on a cop, but I can get to my shotgun in approx. 15 seconds, and I don't think any police departments response time is that quick. The difference in time could make the difference in life or death.
911, in this case, is who you call when the shooting stops.
No rule says you have to do only one of those things.

I plan to arm myself first, and if time allows to dial 911. No reason the police shouldn't be on their way. I'll still shoot if I have to.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old February 15, 2010, 03:28 PM   #10
MCCALL911

I used to be a 911 dispatcher, so I can vouch for the fact that mete gave the best advice I've seen. The dispatcher has to understand what is going on or there will be a delay in help arriving. I can't count the times that I've heard "Just get someone over here now!" and the times I've said, "Someone is on the way. But I can help you better if you tell me what's going on."

Moe Howard: "Fire at will!"
Larry Fine: "Which one's Will?"
Old February 15, 2010, 05:53 PM   #11
Uncle Ben

My thinking is that I first need to KNOW that someone is in my house before I call out the police, since there have been too many times that I thought someone MAY be in my house, yet it turned out there was not.

I'm not going to waste their time unless I know I actually need them, and by the time I actually know that I need them, it is more than likely too late to call. I would probably tell my wife to "call 911" as soon as I know there is a threat, but I don't think calling the police myself would even come to mind once I knew someone was in the house.

I would be thinking about the harm that they could cause my wife and daughter, and I would only be thinking about protecting them and ending the threat as quickly as possible. That's why I have guns in my house anyway, cause I'm not going to wait for anyone else to show up to protect my family for me.

If there is someone still outside the house when I discover them, gun will go in hand first thing, then call the police, or preferably have my wife call them. That is very different from me discovering them INSIDE the house when there is likely no time for phone calls.
Old February 15, 2010, 06:49 PM   #12
Doc Intrepid

In court, tremendous effort often goes into proving (beyond a reasonable doubt) "who shot whom", "who said what", who was present (and who wasn't), etc.

By dialing 911 and just putting the receiver down, a digital audio recording is made of everything within the range of the receiver.

Assuming your actions during the confrontation are appropriate, this can go a long way towards establishing your position later, in court, "beyond a reasonable doubt". Any sort of technology that can later serve your interests deserves to be taken into consideration in your defensive planning.

JMHO. FWIW.

YMMV.
Old February 15, 2010, 06:55 PM   #13
BillCA

In my case, it's likely to be AFTER the event. Here's why...

I live in a townhome complex, slightly back off the street, about 50 ft up a walkway. If I hear someone breaking glass or jiggering the front door at night, my first priority will NOT be dialing 911. It will be arming myself and taking a concealed position to cover the entrance. If they're taking their time, then I might be able to call 911 before they're crossing a threshold. But I'm not expecting that to be the case.

I've heard "odd noises" in the wee hours of the night before. Not being sure of the source, I've checked out the house. Keeping in mind a 2Bed/2Bath townhome isn't terribly big (i.e. not large enough for any dog bigger than a Yorkie!). So if the security is breached, someone can be in the back of the house in about 5 seconds just walking fast.

I'll call 911 if I think I have time. Otherwise I'm focusing on repelling invaders the moment I see them coming through the door or window. If I believe there are multiple attackers, I'll retreat to the bedroom and use the 3.75 yard hallway as a funnel. It'll turn into a freeway jammed with 12-ga buckshot and/or Speer Gold Dots if they approach.

If it's a case of a "prowler" checking for unlocked doors and windows, I'll probaly call 911 while maintaining alert status.
Old February 16, 2010, 02:02 AM   #14
vince972

id try and defuse a situation, and if i cant then id move onto plan b which is 1/2 lethal force, gettin the legs then if theres more than one person coming after me then lehal force, then id call
Old February 16, 2010, 06:05 AM   #15
Dylan Alexander

Try to call 911 first, explaining the situation, who you are, if you are armed, etc, etc.
If not possible try calling after it is safe to do so.
Old February 16, 2010, 07:35 AM   #16
FireForged

I cannot speak to what is best for someone else, as all situations unfold differently. I can tell you what I have on my mind as a plan. My plan may or may not be best for someone else...

When talking about a physical danger, I want a help response to be on the way but I also have to consider the danger right here and right this second. The short answer is that I would call 911 as soon as safety allows.
Old February 16, 2010, 08:05 AM   #17
Yankee Doodle

Where I reside, once you dial 911 a cop is going to come ASAP.
You don't have to say a word, and your address comes up at the dispatchers location.
Dial 911, scream "HELP", and drop the phone on the floor so that they can hear what is going on.
You can shout any information you want them to have without holding the phone in your hand.
Old February 16, 2010, 01:24 PM   #18
Stevie-Ray

Naturally, each situation is going to be completely different from another. Like a broken window during the night. Did somebody throw something? Did somebody try to get in? Is somebody now in your house? If the former, call police now, in case there is somebody outside vandalizing houses at random. Or maybe an unsuccessful attempt at entering your house. If the latter is suspected, call 911 now if you are relatively safe in a locked room, or of course, later if you are confronted and your hand is forced. All these presuppose there is a valid threat or circumstances that have made you feel unsafe. I have checked countless "bumps in the night" and called police only a few times. Closest I think I've come to being invaded, other than theft from my porch, was hushed voices, followed by scrambling, and when I looked out, all my security lights were on. I called then, as there had been a number of break-ins in the area at that time.
Old February 16, 2010, 01:39 PM   #19
LordofWar

It happened eons back when I was still an undergrad freshie at BU.

So one night I got pulled into a dark alley. I sneaked out my cellphone but pressed '6' instead of 9. Didnt get the chance to Press 11 as it was already 1 on 1. :P

I was 'conceal' carrying but the perp had a 36 guage SxS pointed at me.

It was a stale mate.
Old February 16, 2010, 01:49 PM   #20
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Doodle
You don't have to say a word, and your address comes up at the dispatchers location.
Dial 911, scream "HELP", and drop the phone on the floor so that they can hear what is going on.
You can shout any information you want them to have without holding the phone in your hand.
Your address comes up for the dispatcher only if you're calling on a land line. If you call 911 on a cell phone, the first thing you do should be to give the dispatcher your location, whether or not you're at home -- otherwise the police have no clue where you are.
Old February 16, 2010, 02:14 PM   #21
JohnH1963

If you don't call 911 right away during a shooting/firearm incident, then the question the Prosecutor or investigating detectives is "why not"? If there is any delay in calling, then it could be used against you.

Another thing is that if you call 911 and hangup then they will send the police anyway. Just calling and leaving the phone off the hook should be enough to send over a responder.

I know they will do this because I have had kids who did just that fooling around with the phone. I dont know how the tracking is with a cellphone, but calling and saying nothing is better then not calling at all. For example, you dial real quick and put the phone down on the ground and resume your stance. That wont take as much time and be more stealthy then explaining into the phone.
Old February 16, 2010, 10:48 PM   #22
BillCA

Quote:
If you don't call 911 right away during a shooting/firearm incident, then the question the Prosecutor or investigating detectives is "why not"? If there is any delay in calling, then it could be used against you.
Only if there is something suspicious or "wrong" about the shooting in the first place. No D.A. will risk a prosecution solely based on the fact that you didn't stop to dial 911 first. Trying to explain that to a jury when a pair or trio of armed thugs has kicked in your front door will only leave the prosecutor looking as if he usually wears a "Stupid" sign.

Among other valid reasons...
- I didn't believe I had time to reach the phone
- They were already inside
- I was intent on getting [my child] to safety
- The phone is in the [room closer to the BG's]
- He was coming in the bedroom window already!
- By the time I dialed 911, you'd be talking to him, not me.

Let's not forget that the dispatchers tend to ask 1,001 questions to get information, splitting your mental processing time between planning for action and responding to their queries. They have their job to do, but it's secondary to your staying alive.
Old February 16, 2010, 11:46 PM   #23
scorpion_tyr

As soon as possible. The situation will dictate when that is.
Old February 16, 2010, 11:53 PM   #24
Miketodd04

With us (my family) I think we have a pretty good plan.
If we here someone trying to force entrance (not just a ruckus outside) my wife knows to grab the phone and she gets the 20ga shotgun. I grab the 9mm (hope to upgrade to a .40) and flashlight and grab the baby to put on the floor in our room with her behind the bed (his room is next to ours) while she is calling 911. Our bedrooms are at the back of the house and I have very good vantage points from the hallway that anyone has to come down from the living room. She knows that if the door opens and it is not me or a LEO declaring themself, she is to shoot. If she can do it...well I hope to never have to find out. But for now, this seems like the best "plan" for our family and home.
Old February 17, 2010, 12:01 AM   #25
grubbylabs

Well the one time I have been in "that" situation so far. I called 911 as I was getting my shot gun out of the safe. The worst apart about it was the stupid and I repeat STUPID dispatcher kept telling me "Sir for your safety you need to put the gun away" I naturally told here no way in hell was I going to put my gun away until the guy was in cuffs or dead. Granted the guy was only in my back yard, but at 2 am That is exactly the wrong place to be. I told here I was staying in side but if the guy tried to come in I was going to shoot him so the police should hurry and get there. Well the police finally got there and took him into custody so I emptied my shot gun and left it open so that when the officer came inside to take my statement he could see it was open. But like I told him Out side my house they get to live, inside my house not so much. But the main point is that in that particular situation I was able to call while I was getting my gun out. And the 911 recording was exactly why I kept the phone with me, that way if it came down to me shooting him it would be recorded.