The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 24, 2020, 08:07 PM   #1
LeverGunFan

NRA cutting staff, salaries, blames Corona virus

In addition to the cancellation of the NRA convention this year, NPR is reporting that the NRA has announced layoffs and pay cuts due to the Corona virus. The number of layoffs wasn't disclosed, but the staff work week was cut to four days with a 20% pay cut. Not sure how these cuts are related to the Corona virus. Not a good sign for the NRA in an election year.

Here's the link to the NPR story.
Old March 24, 2020, 09:06 PM   #2
Kreyzhorse

I'd giving the side eye to any thing that is coming from the NPR.

If it's true, let's see what the NRA counter point is.... the truth is some place in the middle.
Old March 24, 2020, 09:58 PM   #3
Dean C

What a perfect time to downsize and reorg. without admitting defeat.
Dean
Pro 2A Washington (Charter Member)

Last edited by Dean C; March 25, 2020 at 09:59 PM.
Old March 24, 2020, 10:19 PM   #4
MarkCO

I have seen that elsewhere. The NRA Convention is a huge moneymaker for them as SHOT is a huge moneymaker for the NSSF. Neither is a bad thing, just is.
Old March 25, 2020, 06:03 PM   #5
Mike38

Quote:
I'd giving the side eye to any thing that is coming from the NPR.

If it's true, let's see what the NRA counter point is.... the truth is some place in the middle.
I am a member of a forum that a NRA board member frequents. According to him, it is true. Wayne Lapierre even had to take a 20% cut, which is good, but would be better if he lost his job.
Old March 25, 2020, 07:23 PM   #6
SHR970

They still have more than one Fudd on the board and several years ago changed the rules to protect them....especially Jouquin Jackson. I'm a lifer but I won't shed a tear for a forced reorg.
Old March 25, 2020, 07:33 PM   #7
littlebikerider

20% of a couple million? I hope that doesn't crimp WLP's lifestyle too bad...

He might have to pay for those mailers requesting donations out of his own pocket!!
Old March 27, 2020, 10:44 AM   #8
langenc

I am a member of a forum that a NRA board member frequents. According to him, it is true. Wayne Lapierre even had to take a 20% cut, which is good, but would be better if he lost his job.

+1-no way on any green earth is he worth what he has been getting paid.

Join Gun Owners of America (GOA) today and your state Gun owners assn.
Old March 27, 2020, 05:53 PM   #9
Mike38

Quote:
Join Gun Owners of America (GOA) today and your state Gun owners assn.
I think, but don't know for sure, the Illinois State Rifle Association requires members to be NRA members also.

That, and the range I belong to does require it.

Also, to compete at the Regional, Sectional and State championship levels, NRA membership is required.

I would not renew my NRA membership if it wasn't required.

Does Wayne care? Nope. He's locked in for life at his current income. There isn't a NRA Board member out there with the nads to butt heads with him.
Old March 27, 2020, 06:27 PM   #10
Onward Allusion

Up until 10 years ago, our club required the same thing. One could not join w/o already being a NRA member.
Old March 27, 2020, 07:00 PM   #11
TXAZ

You mean the NRA didn't negotiate a $M support program out of the $2.2T?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 27, 2020, 08:27 PM   #12
starnbar

The NRA has really changed and the days of Harlan Carter are long gone I have been a member since 64 and things sure are different now.
Old March 27, 2020, 08:47 PM   #13
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike38 View Post
Tell him to fire W.L.
Old March 27, 2020, 08:50 PM   #14
reynolds357

Quote:
I think, but don't know for sure, the Illinois State Rifle Association requires members to be NRA members also.

That, and the range I belong to does require it.

Also, to compete at the Regional, Sectional and State championship levels, NRA membership is required.

I would not renew my NRA membership if it wasn't required.

Does Wayne care? Nope. He's locked in for life at his current income. There isn't a NRA Board member out there with the nads to butt heads with him.
Seems like your club needs to change its rules. Bring up a rules change at a meeting.
Old March 27, 2020, 11:21 PM   #15
Mike38

Quote:
Seems like your club needs to change its rules. Bring up a rules change at a meeting.
I doubt that would happen, as they just made that a requirement a year ago. The club I belong to is hurting for funds, so they made NRA membership mandatory to make them eligible for loans and grants for maintenance / repairs.
Old March 29, 2020, 02:11 PM   #16
reynolds357

Quote:
I doubt that would happen, as they just made that a requirement a year ago. The club I belong to is hurting for funds, so they made NRA membership mandatory to make them eligible for loans and grants for maintenance / repairs.
So, they sold out.
You can still bring it up and make them deal with the awkward situation. Whenever someone chooses money over morality, I always do my best to publicly put their choice on record.

Last edited by reynolds357; March 29, 2020 at 05:58 PM.
Old March 29, 2020, 02:32 PM   #17
KBP75

Political party

I have been a NRA member since the 1960's and today its main role seems to be a balance between being a Political Party and a fund raising corporation. Everything else is on the back burner. Today as a member you are subjected to an onslaught of political adds and fund raising requests. Its more about the politics and money than anything else. It is unacceptable to me that it has become necessary to buy our 2nd Amendment rights and belong to an approved political party. Our Veterans paid with BLOOD for our rights and no enemy foreign or DOMESTIC has the right to take them away.
Old March 29, 2020, 04:42 PM   #18
JWT

Agree with Mike 38 on things being better if Lapierre lost his job.
Old March 29, 2020, 06:47 PM   #19
ATN082268

Quote:
So, the only way for this club to stay open is require everyone have NRA membership and then milk the NRA for funds? What if everyone paid the equivalent in NRA dues directly to the club?
Old March 29, 2020, 07:31 PM   #20
Mike38

Quote:
So, the only way for this club to stay open is require everyone have NRA membership and then milk the NRA for funds? What if everyone paid the equivalent in NRA dues directly to the club?
Good point! Membership at this club is only $75 per year. I'd gladly let them double that, if the extra funds went directly to maintenance and repairs of the building and grounds. $150 per year would still be about half of what other clubs in the area charge.
Old March 29, 2020, 08:01 PM   #21
reynolds357

Quote:
Good point! Membership at this club is only $75 per year. I'd gladly let them double that, if the extra funds went directly to maintenance and repairs of the building and grounds. $150 per year would still be about half of what other clubs in the area charge.
Do yall have sporting clays? Its the big money maker. Prior to us putting in sporting clays, we could hardley pay the bills. Now, we have a lot of excess money.
Old March 31, 2020, 05:13 PM   #22
Scorch

Quote:
Not sure how these cuts are related to the Corona virus.
When your people can't get face time with politicians, you've got to start thinking about cutting back. After all, they want to still have money when the whole thing goes away. When people start going back to work they won't have money to contribute because they've been off work for two months. If the NRA spends all the money now keeping their employees they won't have any left when things do get back to business as usual. It's a business, and most job people don't understand business.
Quote:
the days of Harlan Carter are long gone
Whoo, man! He was sure a fire breather! Miss him!