The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 20, 2020, 03:39 PM   #26
HighDesert

I'm not excited about this crazy run of first time buyers at all and find it the least bit humorous. It's been mentioned already, many of these folks are never going to take the time to learn how to use or store them properly, so the number of thefts and NGs, and all thise bad things that happen when idiots hold guns is about to unleash. The second part of this is their motivation. How is a long time gun hater somehow converted to gun loving by a virus scare? Answer, they are betting we are going to take them when things go bad. Not sporting aspirations, not rogue governments, but their neighbors and those crazy conservatives with snake and flag stickers! Now call me crazy, but worse things have happened and they have never been moved a millimeter from their position. Now all of a sudden they are 2A supporters? I don't think so.

The good thing about the 2A they hate is it applies universally to all citizens. Wish they'd think a bit harder, before giving everything away as they have. maybe this will change their attitude, but to me, guns in the wrong hands just makes the stop more bold.
Old March 20, 2020, 03:46 PM   #27
triplebike

Here in PA , Gov has shut down all non essential business. So all gun shops are closed until further notice. At the same time Filthadelphia police have stopped prosecuting thieves and burglars. As well as letting non violent criminals out of jail.
Old March 20, 2020, 04:02 PM   #28
HighDesert

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebike View Post
Here in PA , Gov has shut down all non essential business. So all gun shops are closed until further notice. At the same time Filthadelphia police have stopped prosecuting thieves and burglars. As well as letting non violent criminals out of jail.
And yet, so many continue to place their faith in government!
Old March 20, 2020, 08:43 PM   #29
Cheapshooter

Quote:
How is a long time gun hater somehow converted to gun loving by a virus scare?
I'm thinking the majority of the new buyers weren't gun haters. Probably neutral to just not justifying the cost before. I'm sure among a wide spectrum of economic ability. So not all will be buying "approved" brands. In fact most are probably buying some of the more affordable guns that are in reality quite well made with modern,cost saving technology today. Some maybe even buying the lowest priced guns that although bulky, ugly, and hated by gun snobs, but have proven themselves as reliable as any other, and even more so than some of the top level "approved" brands.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 20, 2020, 09:31 PM   #30
Death-Ninja

Waiting until their is a national catastrophe in full blossom before you decide a firearm is in order, is what can only be described as "impossible stupidity!" During the Katrina debacle NOLA jackboots went as far as attempting to seize lawfully held firearms from citizens on their own property, this resulted in many shootings which a dutiful media lied to you all about as being gang related, they weren't gang related, or rather they were gang related, and the gang was the local government. Not already having a firearm with which to defend yourself and your family at the ready at the very onset of such calamities, well that makes you food....
Old March 20, 2020, 10:42 PM   #31
stinkeypete

You can't fix stupid.

People hoard toilet paper, that's stupid too. No one ever got killed from the improper use of toilet paper- but I am sure there is a headline somewhere starting out "Florida Man..." just to prove me wrong.
Old March 21, 2020, 12:20 AM   #32
bamaranger

stated honestly, but for grins

Here in AL, at least in my north west area, it seems business near as usual. There is a run on ammo, and some retail sales limits, but sporting centerfire rifle, shotgun and rimfire fodder all seems very available. There are no lines at gun shops or pawn shops that I have seen.

Maybe we all have our head in the sand........or maybe we all have guns and ammo to begin with.
Old March 21, 2020, 02:00 AM   #33
Cosmodragoon

I was happy to help a few friends and family figure out their first-time purchases over the last couple of weeks. Despite all the inconvenience, difficulty, and danger for high-risk persons; I'm glad to see some people getting their much-needed wake-up call here.

Coincidentally, I know some previously anti-gun people who are beginning to rethink their worldview. Here is a fun video on the phenomenon from Colion Noir:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiZZJitkKvA
Old March 21, 2020, 03:50 AM   #34
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Waiting until their is a national catastrophe in full blossom before you decide a firearm is in order, is what can only be described as "impossible stupidity!"
Is it?

Some might call it adapting to an evolving situation which is a greater sign of intelligence than not.

Almost everyone is guilty of some degree of "it won't happen to me-ism" in one area or another. And sometimes it takes a reality check like this to make people reassess their stance.

How many people have decided to buy a gun after having a close-call with a would-be criminal, for example.

Sure, realising that you might be a victim before becoming one is preferable, but I don't begrudge people learning from their mistakes and trying to rectify them.

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; March 21, 2020 at 03:58 AM.
Old March 21, 2020, 03:57 AM   #35
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
It's been mentioned already, many of these folks are never going to take the time to learn how to use or store them properly, so the number of thefts and NGs, and all thise bad things that happen when idiots hold guns is about to unleash.
I wouldn't be surprised if most firearms in private ownership don't get shot or handled that often. I bet there are 10's if not 100's of thousands of guns sitting in sock drawers that have never been fired and sit there in case an emergency arises.

How is this any different?

And, ultimately, are you saying that you don't think they should buy those guns?

Quote:
How is a long time gun hater somehow converted to gun loving by a virus scare?
You make it sound impossible. I converted simply because I started educating myself about firearms. If that can happen to me, an average Joe, then I can't see why it shouldn't when risk to family and property suddenly becomes a realistic possibility.

Quote:
Answer, they are betting we are going to take them when things go bad. Not sporting aspirations, not rogue governments, but their neighbors and those crazy conservatives with snake and flag stickers! Now call me crazy, but worse things have happened and they have never been moved a millimeter from their position. Now all of a sudden they are 2A supporters? I don't think so.
I'm not sure if I get your point, but if you are suggesting that the new surge in gun purchases is somehow an anti-gun ruse, I would say you give them waaaaaay too much credit.
Old March 21, 2020, 01:57 PM   #36
dannyb

PA new owner problem

Not me, I've been shooting for years.

The current problem is that the ranges are closed. Unless you know somebody with sufficient land and something like a backstop, it's hard to offer instruction that includes live fire. So people are buying these firearms without the ability to get real lessons.
Old March 21, 2020, 02:49 PM   #37
mrcharlie3531

I was visiting a friend in Sarasota Fl. (Shoot Straight gun Store) A large southeast firearm retailer. The line to get in was around the building , arx 100 people in line.
Old March 21, 2020, 03:02 PM   #38
Death-Ninja

Quote:
Is it?

Some might call it adapting to an evolving situation which is a greater sign of intelligence than not.

Almost everyone is guilty of some degree of "it won't happen to me-ism" in one area or another. And sometimes it takes a reality check like this to make people reassess their stance.

How many people have decided to buy a gun after having a close-call with a would-be criminal, for example.

Sure, realising that you might be a victim before becoming one is preferable, but I don't begrudge people learning from their mistakes and trying to rectify them.
I'm sorry James but you and that particular logic are woefully erroneous, a person who stupidly(and it is stupid)cedes their personal safety to a telephone, a three digit telephone number, and a local governing source and its police agencies isn't a sign of intelligence, its a brazen display of grotesque personal irresponsibility and stupidity.

In effect you are saying such folks are smart because as reality unfolds before otherwise blinded eyes, they decide "hey maybe a firerarm ain't such a bad idea!" That is exactly what they should have done long long ago, and sought proper instruction to operate a weapon at the same time.

That logic kills a great many of the herd, a very very great many when calamity strikes on a national scale. These people are the ones who manifest themselves on these websites and bitterly complain when suddenly they cannot buy what they need, and if they can how expensive it just became!

They whine about price gouging, hoarding, and every other thing, all because they blew off "totally" their own personal responsibility for themselves and their loved ones! There's the way things ought to be, and then there is just the way things are....
Old March 21, 2020, 04:35 PM   #39
fl_rich

Well the good news is once they buy a gun they will generally fight to keep them. Weather they shoot or not no one wants something they have invested in taken from them.
Old March 21, 2020, 04:43 PM   #40
Kreyzhorse

I saw the madness today.... lots of guns flying off the shelves, lots of first time gun buyers and owners to be sure.

Taurus was flying off the shelves today with some slightly more expensive, better made guns sitting untouched. My opinion is that first time buyers, as the OP suggested, were buying the cheapest guns that were available.

As the day wore on, I suspect that the average gun price increased as the bottom tier wasn't available.

One of the staffers also noted that they have had in excess of 30 people waiting to simply get into the store at most times.

Rifles were the slow movers with plenty of AR types still available.
Old March 21, 2020, 07:10 PM   #41
Ruger45LC

I was at Buds in Lexington the other day, it was absolutely packed. It seemed like they were moving a lot of the cheap Taurus items.
Old March 21, 2020, 07:36 PM   #42
norcalAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobsmack View Post
I totally cannot wait for all the used guns to hit the market in about 3-6 months! Never fired... Gonna suck for the dealers but it will be great for the folks who buy guns for fun.
Yep, my lgs owner said the same thing when I was in there last week picking up my latest acquisition out of the ten day wait.
Old March 21, 2020, 10:20 PM   #43
Onward Allusion

Does anyone know if the gun stores in CA, CT, IL, NJ, NY, OR, & PA are considered "essential" and can stay open? The States have Shelter-at-Home orders so can folks even buy guns?
Old March 22, 2020, 01:10 AM   #44
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
I'm sorry James but you and that particular logic are woefully erroneous, a person who stupidly(and it is stupid)cedes their personal safety to a telephone, a three digit telephone number, and a local governing source and its police agencies isn't a sign of intelligence, its a brazen display of grotesque personal irresponsibility and stupidity.
Where exactly did I say that not having a firearm was a smart thing?
Where did I say that leaving it all to the authorities was a smart thing?
In fact, if you re-read my post, I implied the opposite in the last sentence.

Quote:
In effect you are saying such folks are smart because as reality unfolds before otherwise blinded eyes, they decide "hey maybe a firerarm ain't such a bad idea!" That is exactly what they should have done long long ago, and sought proper instruction to operate a weapon at the same time.
Again, you seem to have read what you wanted to read, not what I said.

I said that realising that there may be potential danger in the approaching future and seeking to mitigate it is smarter than not trying to.

Quote:
That logic kills a great many of the herd, a very very great many when calamity strikes on a national scale. These people are the ones who manifest themselves on these websites and bitterly complain when suddenly they cannot buy what they need, and if they can how expensive it just became!
This seems to be opinion passed off as fact and not really relevant to the point I was making.

Quote:
They whine about price gouging, hoarding, and every other thing, all because they blew off "totally" their own personal responsibility for themselves and their loved ones! There's the way things ought to be, and then there is just the way things are....
As does this...
Old March 22, 2020, 04:46 AM   #45
AzShooter

Good guns are getting hard to find now

I wanted a new gun for personal defense. I went to a few local LGSs and wanted a .380 or a 9 mm, preferably a S&W or Ruger. There was nothing to be found at first. I then went into a Sportsman's Warehouse and they had lots of guns but no ammo.

I ended up with a S&W M&P Shield EZ 9. I got the last one in stock. I bought the 9 because I still had lots of ammo for one at home.

There must have been 50 people behind me waiting to buy a gun. There was no ammo so what are they going to do,throw the gun at the bad guns?

Checking on-line for ammo and it's the same story, either nothing available or the high price stuff is still out there for .22s if you want to spend .20 a cartridge. Honker down for another shortage my friends.
Old March 22, 2020, 05:45 AM   #46
URIT

Congrats on getting the last 9Shield EZ. Gun sale increases and an ammo shortage is not surprising in light of the current media-generated panic and the unknowns a pandemic brings with it for most of us.

I'm thankful to have a year's shooting supply onhand and will not be buying any ammo until the supply chain is replenished. I suspect this may take six months.

I don't want to be part of the problem so I plan to tailor my range trip ammo count down by focusing my sessions on drills that use less ammo but achieve the desired results. I'm not going to cut the number of range trips because the guys that operate the ranges need my financial support more now than they did last year.

Stay safe and healthy!
Old March 22, 2020, 07:51 AM   #47
44caliberkid

Arizonans looking for guns and ammo might consider a road trip north to Nevada. During the last AR-15 shortage, there were plenty in and around gun stores in Las Vegas. Also look rural, farm and ranch supply stores for ammo. But the big lesson is don't wait until the calamity is at hand to have a supply of ammo or a gun.
Old March 22, 2020, 08:46 AM   #48
norcalAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion View Post
Does anyone know if the gun stores in CA, CT, IL, NJ, NY, OR, & PA are considered "essential" and can stay open? The States have Shelter-at-Home orders so can folks even buy guns?
CA bay area resident here, all of our LGS are closed and not considered "essential." I am well prepared, but I witnessed throngs of folks making their first purchases that they will be unable to have released from the ten day waiting period.
Old March 22, 2020, 10:24 AM   #49
blchandl2

And people make fun of me for reloading 9MM and .380.
Old March 22, 2020, 11:08 AM   #50
triplebike

I was able to order 9mm online. Purchased 500rds which I feel is enough to last me until hopefully this all blows over. There was no price gouging and it was delivered Sat, took 4 days from when I placed the order. I found an old 38 special revolver that was found stashed in a piece of furniture when my Dad passed 15 yrs ago. It's nothing special (Titan Tiger) but I decided to give it a good going over and cleaning. I don't think its ever been fired, probably 60+ yrs old. It locks up tight and the barrel looks good not great but good enough to use as a last resort. The only 38 special ammo I could find a laying around the house was 12 Speer +p hollow points. Didn't feel comfortable loading that ammo so I ordered 50 rds of regular 38 special from same place as the 9's. Once again no price gouging and I suspect it to arrive mid next week.
Closed Thread