The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old May 2, 2002, 07:20 AM   #51
Jody Hudson

I am planning on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even if three or four come I'll be here as your host. And, Woody and Mrs. Woody and Soda will be deputized for everything And others as well. Heck, we can deputize lots and lots of folks so that there is always someone to help keep things on-the-rails!!!

It should be lots of fun, and lots of different kinds of fun.
Old May 3, 2002, 11:17 PM   #52
David Park

Jody, I'm hoping to attend, although I'll need to buy some camping gear (it's on my "survival" shopping list already).
Old May 5, 2002, 10:00 PM   #53
Jody Hudson

By the way, the camp site is located on the east side of Rt. One and the north side of Cedar Creek... Here it is on www.MapQuest.com
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...bF0BGsawtCsKc9
Old May 5, 2002, 11:56 PM   #54
Jamie Young

Wow thats not that far away from me. I thought it was a lot further south. Looks like its only about an hour and a half from me.
Old May 6, 2002, 08:23 PM   #55
jthuang

Is it definite then? June 21-23? What time do we show up?
Old May 7, 2002, 06:25 PM   #56
S.F.S

My wife and I would also be interested in going. We would leave in the evening and just come back the next morning since Im only about 45 minutes away.

Please confirm the dates, times and place to meet..

Also what does the range cost that we will be shooting at? Is there any other costs involved besides food and drinks?

Thanks
Scott
Old May 13, 2002, 07:58 PM   #57
Matrix

Just read this thread - sounds fun! I'll throw the tent, a few guns and some ammo in the truck and come on down.
Old May 13, 2002, 08:20 PM   #58
S.F.S

Justin,
You oughta try emailing Jody directly and he may be able to give you a time.
The dates 21-23 of June should be considered a definate as far as I know.

Im not the one delagating it, Im just trying to help Jody set it up so thats why I say check with him on the time.

Scott
Old May 15, 2002, 07:51 PM   #59
jthuang

Jody would you please clarify something for us campers?

I am not the usual casual camper so I am not lacking for camping equipment -- but if I don't need to bring it, I'd rather not. People who are interested can go to my website for a pic of me with a 40-50lb pack on my back in the middle of Montana -- that was me with the kitchen sink.

1. Water: already mentioned. I'm bringing my trusty PuR Hiker filter and Camelbak hydration unit.

2. Fire: is it just a fire pit or is there a brick grill-type structure available? This is one thing I don't currently have -- I am used to camping in areas where open flames are prohibited so I use my MSR Whisperlite Internationale stove. If this is just a fire pit then I think we would need some sort of foldable grill, which I was gonna buy anyway from Campmor.

3. Food: let me know what we should bring for said grill. Otherwise I'm going to the butchers at Reading Terminal Market and coming with a very non-vegetarian supply of food.

4. Rain tarp: if it rains, do we have a tarp to cover the cooking area? There is an annex fly available for my tent (Timberlite 2XT) which I can bring for a small covered cooking area, although it probably will not work with an open flame (hm, mebbe I should bring the Whisperlite anyway).

5. Seats: dunno if there's gonna be logs available for seating like in some National Park campgrounds, I'm bringing a small collapsable seat anyway.

6. Transport: I assume we don't need to lug our gear for any real distance. If we do, I have the appropriate pack(s), ammunition pouches and slings for long guns but if I don't need to come ready-packed and ready to hit the trail, I won't.

I think that should do it.

Justin
Old May 20, 2002, 05:01 PM   #60
RAY WOODROW 3RD

Have any events scheduled Jody? How about some form of compitition with .22's or something to that effect with pistol and rifle. What is the distance on the pistol range? How about a time on Saturday scheduled for everybody to show up like 3:00pm or something? Just some thoughts. Let me know. Maybe I can set something up for you down there.

"The key to success in ANY battle is effective communications."

From NJ? Check out "njcsd.com"
Old May 20, 2002, 06:02 PM   #61
David Park

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend. I have plans with my family in DC that weekend.
Old May 21, 2002, 12:05 AM   #62
Jamie Young

Jody I emailed you like two weeks ago about holding My little "Squad" competition down there. Did you forget about me?
Old May 28, 2002, 03:23 PM   #63
RAY WOODROW 3RD

Jooooody........................

Where are you?

Old June 1, 2002, 02:29 PM   #64
Jamie Young

I think Jody got nabbed by the feds or something.

I am taking off for the 22nd and 23rd so I hope things are still set in stone

We all need to do a lot of planning and packing so.........................................SCOOBY DOO WHERE ARE YOU?
Old June 6, 2002, 10:54 AM   #65
Jody Hudson

Kate and I have moved to another temporary home. We are now in a temporary office so we had all that stuff to move as well. Kate has had two surgeries. We've lost both computers and had to buy new. We bought a third just for backing up the other two. Kate has not been at work much due to her surgeries and I'be been taking care of her a lot. We have new operating systems on the computers. We've had them networked. We had a two hard drive crashes, possibly as a result of hooking up to the company networks. AND, we've been extra busy with kids, home and much more.

So, now with all that... I have to borrow a computer at the coffee shop here to check my e-mail...

The shoot is still on... Sorry I've not had ANY time to answer up.

There are hundreds of acres at site one and a long range but narrow strip at site two; suitable for very long range rifle. There are some sandy areas where fire is fine in fire pits in the sand. There is plenty of old downed wood on 40 acres or so. But gas grills are fine as well. A large tarp would be nice in case of rain. Fishing is very close to several areas to park. Paintball is fine and there are several areas that will work. I will be back and forth to both spots. Cell phones work fine in both spots. Chairs will be needed as there are no big tree logs around. There are no facilities of any kind so you may want a solar shower bag, a privacy curtain, and certainly a shovel will be needed for a latrine area or two or three. The soil is sandy, no rocks at all, so digging is easy. Tent pegs will need to be long due to the sand in most areas.

Sorry, I seldom have a computer or e-mail that works for more than a few hours it seems.... Growlllllllllllllllllllll I HATE computers....
Old June 6, 2002, 11:08 AM   #66
Jody Hudson

By the way... bugs, chiggars, mosquitoes, flies, etc. are bad in these parts... You will need plenty of your choice stuff for such critters. What I do when I go is take a few huge cans of yard gard type spray and hose down the whole area we plan to use and that lasts several hours.
Old June 6, 2002, 11:18 AM   #67
Mike11b

Count me in.

The only time this month I am unavailable is 15 June. Open any other times.
Old June 6, 2002, 11:30 AM   #68
Jody Hudson

Come on to the Bang-Chat-Chew. We have a local lady that wants to do axe, hatchet, tomahawk and shovel throwing and plans to beat everyone!!!

Soda and the Woodys will hopefully take a load of this planning on and we need others to help them. I just came back to add that... as soon as I posted above... I got a cell phone call and Kate and I need to move again in the next two weeks.... Plus, we may need to change offices again on the 17th..... ARggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh I feel like my life is the opening scene of Raiders of The Lost Ark...
Old June 6, 2002, 11:46 AM   #69
Jamie Young

Quote:
We have a local lady that wants to do axe, hatchet, tomahawk and shovel throwing and plans to beat everyone!!!
I'm up for that!!

Ray,
I'll give you a call sometime this week so we can put something together.

How I'll see if I can pick up some bowling pins and sporting clays.

What time should we get there and is there an exact meeting point?
Old June 6, 2002, 01:41 PM   #70
Jody Hudson

I THINK I have a computer working again (for a while at least)...

Let's plan on meeting for breakfast perhaps... There are several inexpensive places nearby. And I'll put up some sort of identification on the road for people to come in by and post it here.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...=246&map.y=169
Old June 16, 2002, 09:25 PM   #71
jthuang

double tap.
Old June 16, 2002, 09:29 PM   #72
jthuang

Woo hoo. Good to hear the shoot is still on. Please let us know when to meet for breakfast -- I need to reserve a car so I need to know in advance.

Quote:
There are some sandy areas where fire is fine in fire pits in the sand. There is plenty of old downed wood on 40 acres or so. But gas grills are fine as well.
Ok good. I love fire cooking but admittedly because most of my camping expeditions have been into places that don't allow open fires (cf Colorado) I am gonna bring the Whisperlite and wing it on the fire cooking.

Quote:
A large tarp would be nice in case of rain.
This I don't really have ... I have an extension annex to my tent but that is really small. Hope it doesn't rain.

Quote:
Tent pegs will need to be long due to the sand in most areas.
Gonna have to do what I can with my standard tent pegs, I don't have sand pegs.

See you all there, I can only stay Friday night and then I have to leave by mid-day Saturday to high-tail it to a dinner appt. in Malvern, PA.

Justin
Old June 16, 2002, 09:50 PM   #73
RAY WOODROW 3RD

Roll Call........

O.K. people.................

Who is coming to this thing? We have one week left in order to get a head count. As far as I know, The following people are coming:

Jody Hudson
Kate
Ray Woodrow 3rd
Mrs.Woody6
SodaPop
jthuang

Any others?
Answer up so we can get a head count.

Old June 17, 2002, 01:45 AM   #74
Jamie Young

I talked to Jody Hudson on the phone tonight because he doesn't have access to a computer. If anyone has any questions please post them or email me. I can give you Jody's and My phone numbers if you are afraid you'll get lost.

Its too late for me to post everything that Jody told me about, but I'll post the meeting place and other info in the next 24hrs.

Justin-If your planning on going down Saturday and coming back Sunday you can hitch a ride with me. I'm bringing My Nephew down in My van and I'll have plenty of room. If your in the center city area or no more than 15 minutes from me.
Old June 17, 2002, 07:03 PM   #75
jthuang

Soda - thanks for the offer but I can only stay Friday night. Got a BBQ to attend on Saturday and an IDPA match on Sunday.

See you there.

Justin