The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old April 16, 2005, 10:11 PM   #76
Jamie Young

That was one of the most successful days I've had in years.

Sighted in my Mini 14 and Bulgarian SA93. Tested out my Sig 228 15rd mags and did some SD shooting and shot with about a 77% hit ratio.

Quote:
I finally got to shoot my new .308 700 LTR and it shoots pretty good.
It shot better than that. Can we say SUB MOA??????

I got my Winchester zeroed at 100yds and took a few shots at the 200yds targets right after you left. My 175gr Matckings grouped so well I zeroed it in a little more at the 200yd range and put 6rds in a 2inch group on a 3inch Shoot N C target. That stock work Art Eatman suggested really made a difference. My Winchester Model 70 is hands down a MOA rifle. Not bad for a 50yr old gun.

I gotta get up there again and spend the day shooting at the longer ranged now that I've found such an accurate load.

I'm going to look into a new range. Details in a few days..........
Old April 17, 2005, 06:58 AM   #77
K80Geoff

Well I did not have the best of shooting days, but at least I was shooting

My 625 still has light strike issues, the newly installed Optima sight on my Gold Cup NM shot loose (Although it was accurate) and the front sight on my Commander is loose. But I did zero my new crimson trace sights on the commander, even in bright daylight!

And I did some surgery on my trigger finger courtesy of Mr Pop's AK

That Remington shoots nice, but I do not need another rifle Nor another Glock thank you!

I did get to shoot the dust outta the barrels of some of my guns, regardless of the misfortunes I endured
Old April 17, 2005, 09:33 AM   #78
Jamie Young

Yikes!! Now I have blood on my AK. I thought that was ketchup.
Old April 17, 2005, 10:37 AM   #79
Dead

K80 you have no luck with those AK's

Sounds like you had some fun though, sure hope you are ok!
Old April 17, 2005, 01:02 PM   #80
K80Geoff

Well now at least I can claim being wounded by an AK, where's my purple heart? I spilled more blood than Kerry did.

And worst of all the lady behind the desk asked if I was over55!!!!

I did get a $2 discount however
Old April 17, 2005, 01:23 PM   #81
9mmMike

Forgot to mention that Geoff let me shoot his G30 with a cool integral laser. Neat gun with the Scherer extensions.
When I left, the Winchester was already connecting the dots so I am not surprised to hear that you could do that kind of work at 200 yds. Jamie.
As far as my own rifle goes, I am anxious to see how those groups translate to 200 and 300 yds. I'll tell ya one thing, that LTR leaps up and pulls that bi-pod off the table with every shot. I do not have the Harris with the notches in the legs and everytime it cam down, the right leg was slowly geting shorter.
If anyone is considering a Harris (and I do like it very much) please consider the ones with the notches in the legs if you are going to take more than one shot during your sniping.
Also, shoot three shot groups. They make you look like an expert!
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old April 19, 2005, 07:57 AM   #82
K80Geoff

Try shooting without the bipod, use a sandbag. IMHO it gives a steadier rest and dampens recoil.

Mr Pop uses a bag and and does well with it. I would not want a bipod if in the field and having to carry any distance.

My G30 uses Pierce magazine extensions, not Scherer. I recommend the pierce extensions for the G30 10 round mags without reservation. The gun has an internal lasermax and a 3.5 trigger plus an extended slide stop. All add ons that make the G30 more user friendly.

I still do not care for glock triggers but the 3.5 lb trigger is the best I have used on any Glock. I believe the 21C comes with the 3.5 lb trigger.

Quite a difference between the 21 and 30 as to comfort and feel. I did not notice any blowback from the ports when I shot the 21C. If I were into Glocks I would definitely get one

How about our next shoot as a Bolt gun long range shoot. Get people off the pistol range and shooting rifles as they are supposed to be shot. It annoys me to always have to shoot my handguns next to some guy with a BAR!

All these folks with ubertactical guns shooting at 25 yards!!! And not very well either
Old April 19, 2005, 08:20 AM   #83
Jamie Young

Quote:
How about our next shoot as a Bolt gun long range shoot. Get people off the pistol range and shooting rifles as they are supposed to be shot. It annoys me to always have to shoot my handguns next to some guy with a BAR!
I wouldn't mind a bolt action shoot.

The guy with the BAR is going to get punched in the face if I see him at that range EVER AGAIN. To date....... he is the most unsafe individual I have ever come across at a club. In the course of 15 minutes I looked down the barrel of an M1A, F/A BAR and an Argentine FAL. The guy had over $30,000 worth of firearms and not an ounce of gun safety. When he pointed the M1A at me (while unloading his truck) he said, "it's not loaded" and I felt my right hand itch to pull my Sig 239 on him. An ass a total ass.

Still looking into the PA range.
Old April 19, 2005, 01:30 PM   #84
9mmMike

I only have one bolt-gun to shoot except for the .22 which is only fun for a little while at 100 yards. I do plan on doing some 200 & 300 yard shooting with the LTR on the next outing. I need to get a log book so I can start making scope adjustments on the VXII that are repeatable. I've no idea where to even begin as I transistion to 200 yards.
Not sure why I thought those were Scherer extensions. I used to have grip extenders on a couple 26 mags and I recall that one brand was cheap and brittle and the other was high-quality but I do not recall which, Pearce or Scherer, was which. I took them off and got rid of them.
My 21C has a 3.5 but I do not know if it is original as Joe replaced the entire trigger group (trigger to connector) with something fancy from Glockmeister.
I have since put a stock trigger, trigger bar & trigger spring back in but I left the "original" connector. I like the current set-up very much.
I may try a non-comp barrel just to see how much of a difference it makes.
How about a bolt/lever/pump (non semi) gun theme?
I would miss MikeB's interesting stuff though. Where else would I ever get a chance to shoot a Beowolf .50 or S&W 500?
Mike

PS. We need to do a trip to Lehigh Valley for some clay bustin' soon.
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old April 19, 2005, 03:42 PM   #85
Jamie Young

Quote:
I've no idea where to even begin as I transistion to 200 yards.
Tell me the bullet weight you are shooting and I'll be able to tell you the MOA adjustments on your scope. I had the same scope on my Winchester for years and I shot virtually the same ammo you shoot.
Old April 19, 2005, 07:48 PM   #86
GeorgeF

Wait a minute - a BAR? Are you allowed to shoot full auto at this range? Darn! When's the next outing?

Also itching to see how incredibly inaccurate my 10.75 rifle is (it couldnt possiby be me!).

But seriously, if this range allows auto fire I am intensely interested.
Old April 19, 2005, 08:47 PM   #87
Jamie Young

I'm still trying to get in contact with the NEW owner of the place. You are not allowed to shoot Full Auto there (new rules for the last 3yrs) but I've seen them there numerous times. Including last week. There is nothing illegal about it just that the former owners said they didn't want it.

June 11th is still a date everyone should put aside. There are two ranges that we are thinking of having this at.

Stay tuned.
Old April 20, 2005, 04:37 PM   #88
nvrquit

New Date...

... works for me(so far!).

The new date falls on a Saturday when I've got a early NRA-style action pistol match, which usually wraps up around 11:00AM. From there I should be able to make the gathering, dependent on location, of course.

Keep the update(s) coming!