The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 13, 2018, 01:36 PM   #76
Metal god

I've not read the article yet but I don't think I'll notice a difference on target . Now that seems like I'm wasting my time then but I don't think so . I just don't have the rifles or the ability to shoot 1/4 moa or better on every group . If I can't do that then I doubt I'm going to see a difference on paper shooting 1/2 moa groups . The one thing I think I might see is a cumulative result . Meaning over time I may see less 3/4 moa groups while seeing more 1/2 moa groups .

Pointing out the press as a possible weak link in my testing is definitely something to consider . The coax press in not in my near future though . Although It's disappointing to think that If I had just bought the Coax and not the gauges and the seating die I might be better off . The die , die VLD seating stem and gauges total $270 , while the Coax is only $324

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; November 16, 2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old November 13, 2018, 02:09 PM   #77
Unclenick
Staff

It depends very much on how far forward of the geometric center of its bearing surface your bullet's center of gravity is (in most pointed bullet designs the geometric center is behind of the CG). Depending on the bullet, the effect on groups can be anywhere from about 1/16 moa to 1 moa.

Anyway, I wouldn't buy a die to correct this first. i would obtain the means to measure runout first and just sort out some low runout cartridges from your current ammo. Fire, say, 10 each of the best and worst and see if your group sizes are different. If they are, you'll see some benefit to getting the cartridges straight.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 13, 2018, 07:18 PM   #78
BeeShooter

I use the same gauge and get the same runout on my cases. If my bullet has more than a .003 runout it's because the die is dirty most of the time. I've also used the wrong stem for a sharp pointed bullet. When I start seating a bullet, I apply just enough pressure to start a seat and then back off and spin case 180 degrees and finish seating. I have new unfired cases that runout on the Sinclair concentricity gauge at .008. The body is out of round but the head plane is true to the sholder's pitch and both are true to the center line of the neck. These cases will shoot perfect and when you take them, after firing, and check the runout it's back to .0015. - most of the time a cheap Lee die will seat a bullet almost perfect. I always full length and use, many times, a Hornady comp die with bushings to keep the same grip. Nothing fancy and I quit bumping and necking a long time ago. Just keep everything as close to the center line as possible.

Last edited by BeeShooter; November 13, 2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old November 15, 2018, 04:57 PM   #79
Metal god

I separated a 70-ish count load I have that shoots right at 1moa by bullet runout . I loaded these 8 months ago well before I bought the comp seating die .

The load is
168gr smk
43gr IMR-4064
LC-10 cases
CCI-LR primers
COAL 2.805

Runout was
16 @ .0015 or better
20 @ .002
26 @ .003 to .004
14 @ .005 or worse .

I'll test and compare the .0015 to the .005+ next time out and see if I have the ability to shoot well enough to notice the difference on paper . If it's windy I'll do it at 100yds , if generally calm I do it at 200yds . I'll likely do two 7 shot strings with both . letting the barrel cool in between . The rifle was just cleaned so I'll need to do some fouling shots . I have a velocity test I need to do the same day and that will put 16rds down the pipe first then I'll shoot 4rds of the .003 to .004 loads for a total of 20 fouling shots before the test .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 16, 2018, 04:51 PM   #80
oley55

expander ball, to use or not

this thread has ventured into some pretty complicated areas, and my limited grey matter requires me to break things down to individual subject points of near dummy mode. My apologies, in advance.

If what I read and understand is correct, the use of an expander is only appropriate for other than a collet type neck die. Accordingly, an expander is required for full length and neck only dies, with or without bushings. Is that correct?

Or can one pass on the expander "IF" the bushing is appropriately dimensioned to size down the neck just enough to hold the bullet?

I'm so confused.......

Last edited by oley55; November 16, 2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old November 16, 2018, 05:50 PM   #81
Metal god

Quote:
Accordingly, an expander is required for full length and neck only dies, with or without bushings. Is that correct?
No , technically you don't need an expander button at all with a lot of bullets , boat tail being one of them . Standard FL or neck only dies generally size down the neck WAY more then is needed on the up stoke of the ram . The expander button then resizes/expands the neck to the correct-ish size as it's pulled back through the neck on the down stroke of the ram .

A bushing die both FL & neck uses size ( diameter ) specific bushings that only size down the neck to a specific size/diameter of your choosing .

Example : Lets say you want a .002 bullet hold . You measure the outside diameter of a loaded cartridges neck ( bullet already seated ) and use the bushing that measures .002 smaller . The fact you are custom sizing down the neck to it's final size on the up stroke , there is no need to use the expander button because your neck was not OVERLY sized down like it is using a standard die .

I don't remember the exact number but my standard 308 Redding FL sizing die sizes the neck down something like .010 more then is needed . The expander button then has to resize the neck again as it's pulled out . This is working the brass way more then is needed to accomplish the same task as a bushing die does .

If you don't use the expander on a standard die you likely wont be able to seat flat based bullets at all and when seating BT bullets the bullet it self will be resizing the neck as it's seated likely throwing off concentricity .

I'll go see what the actual diameter my standard die sizes a neck to with out using the expander button .

Last edited by Metal god; November 16, 2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old November 16, 2018, 06:24 PM   #82
Metal god

My standard FL die sizes the case neck down from .342 to .327 that's .015 of movement , because the neck was sized down that much an expander needs to be used to stretch the neck back out . Which when used with the standard die , expands my neck back out to .335 which is another .008 of movement over working the brass IMHO . It is that stretching/expanding that many believe is what throws off the neck alignment with the body . Now cw308 ( a member here at TFL ) has found the opposite to be true and has more concentric necks when using a standard die compared to a bushing die .

My bushing die using a .336 bushing sizes the neck down from .342 to .335 that's .007 of movement clearly showing the bushing die works the brass less on the up stroke and does nothing on the down stroke because it's at it's final size already resulting in not needing the expander .

Last edited by Metal god; November 16, 2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old November 16, 2018, 08:17 PM   #83
oley55

thanks MG, I think I got it.

Without going into great detail about sorting, measuring, and trimming efforts for my 7.62 LC (11) brass (different same year stamps??), using only a caliper to measure wall thickness, I am getting a consistent thinnest wall at .015" on one side and up to .018" on the other side.

So after outside turning I expect to end up at or just under .015". Before reading this thread and understanding what the Lee collet die would do, I had ordered the Forster Precision Plus Bushing Bump Neck Sizer die (not planning to use the bump until it is needed). It comes with three popular sized neck bushings (.336, .334, .332), I am pretty certain I can turn to a size that will work with one of these bushings.

168gr Hornady 308 HPBT= .3079"+.015"+.015"= .3379"- 002"=.3359"(.360"). I plan to process a few cases and seat a couple bullets to see how I'm doing.

As I keep thinking through this process, I have just about convinced myself (ignorance is bliss) that all will not be truly consistent until the newly processed batch has been fired again in it's intend rifle. Then the next neck sizing and bullet seating will produce much more physically consistent reloads.
Old November 16, 2018, 10:53 PM   #84
cw308

Hi Guys , just chiming in . I went back in my notes . Using the Standard F/L RCBS Sizing die , my fired Federal cases OD on neck .342 case thickness averaged .014 - 015 Sized neck OD ..333 my expander ball measured .306 With the bushing dies I sized the necks down in two steps was suppose to help in runout , the case body with the bushing setup was like two different units working together , never worked well for me .With the standard full length die is one unit the only wiggle room is I leave the expander shaft with alittle wiggle to self center the ball in the neck , I lube the inside of the necks with a Q tip to help guide the ball through the neck . Bought a Hornady Concentricity gage to check runout , used alot when I was using the Redding Bushing S type dies . Full length sizing with the standard dies I hardly use it , my runout is average .001 .Seating with the Redding Competition Seating die , which I used also with the bushing dies , so my problem was coming from the sizing .I only shooting 200 yards so runout may not be noticable , you most likely are shooting long range . Hope I added some in some way .

Chris