The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 4, 2018, 12:55 AM   #1
Pops1085

ASC AR15 Magazines? Good or Bad?

So I am wondering if anybody knows the history and reputation for quality these magazines have. There's a local deal on them for less than $6 a piece and am thinking about buying some. Just don't know anything about them.

Edit: I'm talking about the 5.56 aluminum ones. Looks like theres ones that are smooth aluminum and others that appear to have a parkerized finish.
Old December 8, 2018, 09:22 AM   #2
arlaunch

They claim you can load bullets to 2.315 instead of 2.260. I have heard echo's in other forums about how good the 6.8 mags are.

I emailed them a few questions a couple of weeks ago about one of their custom products. They never got back to me. I don't buy from companies that are too disorganized to respond.

This likely has nothing to do with the quality of their products?
Old December 8, 2018, 10:46 AM   #3
Nodak1858

I've used the smooth finished black ones, no issues with them.
Used some with a new follower for my 450 upper, work well also.
Old December 8, 2018, 09:04 PM   #4
smee78

I have used them in 5.56/223 and in my 7.62x39 AR and I have had no problems with any of them. They are the only X39 AR mags that I have found to be reliable every time and I recommend them as the "go to" mags for the X39 AR's. I also run their 20 round mags (I prefer 20 rounders in an AR) and they have been great with no problems either but I only have a few of them. For $6 a piece I would pick up some, they come in a few different colors and mag followers and also come in SS or Alu.
Old December 9, 2018, 05:18 PM   #5
stagpanther

They are overall excellent. The 2.315 OAL reference is for the specially-modified ones with the front cut out--available at cavity back bullets. Just realized those are PRI mags that go well past 2.3--but ASC's are still very good in my experience. You can actually go a ways beyond 2.31 (you'll probably hang up in the mag well or extension edge at around 2.356 or so) with the PRI's assuming your freebore and lands engagement allow. There is one guy on the 6.8 forum who actually drills channels in his magwell to get even further beyond the depth limitation imposed by the magwell dimensions.

Last edited by stagpanther; December 9, 2018 at 05:27 PM.