The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 17, 2015, 05:32 PM   #1
rebs

Fiber optic sights ?

Is anyone using these sights on their rifle, if so what do you recommend as far as brand and color of front and rear sights ?
Old August 17, 2015, 06:32 PM   #2
skizzums

Not on a rifle, but I sure could use a set on the lever action, the brass ball front sight doesn't lend well to shooting into the sun. I have a fiber optic on a skinny and thinks its fantastic in any lighting conditions. It soaks up the light and directs it to the ends and resembles a bright LED. Not sure the type of rifle you are thinking, but I believe it would be an advantage on anything that doesn't have a super long barrel.

http://www.hivizsights.com/

These have been spoken highly of for being durable and well made. The sight on my revolver is red, its easy to see but, I could see green as being superior unless your hunting in the woods with lots of greenery
Old August 19, 2015, 04:28 AM   #3
bamaranger

shotgun

I've put a set of fiber optics on a turkey shotgun, from the Williams Co I think. Considerably more visible, especially in dim light, than any standard bead and groove arrangement.

My rig has two green dots on the rear leaf, and a red dot up front, and I like the contrast. I was a bit concerned over how durable they might be, after all, they seem like simple plastic tubes. But they have held up over moderate to heavy use in 3 seasons now, both me and bamaboy hunting the gun some.

FO sights are pretty common on handguns as well, several guys in my local club have them on IDPA and 3gun rigs, and woudn't shoot anything else. Every once in a while one will loose a pipe (3gun is rough on gear) but many rigs have replaceable pipes.

big difference for 50 something eyes!
Old August 20, 2015, 07:30 AM   #4
Kreyzhorse

I like them on shotguns. Haven't put one on my Beretta yet but have been looking for one. All the guys I shoot with use green. It works no matter the back ground.