The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 8, 2014, 07:56 PM   #1
FloridaGuy

Sold all Semi-Automatic Pistols

I sold all of my semi-automatic Pistols since I have realized I am happier shooting a revolver. With this said I have probable close to 10,000 rounds of 9mm once fired range brass. I am thinking about trading with a local ammo remanufacture here in Florida for some loaded ammo. I spoke to him the other day and he is having problems getting brass to load for common pistol calibers.

On the internet I see that 9mm brass is going for $35 - $40 per 1k. I am thinking about asking him for 1k .45LC and 500 .44 Special loaded rounds. Does this sound like a good deal for both of us?

Just asking for options.

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
Old February 8, 2014, 08:34 PM   #2
Rob62

It really depends on how bad he needs the brass. I would guess that you will only be offered 500 -1K loaded in total of either cartridge you need.

But that's just my guess. I think if he were to take the trade you listed, it would be a good trade for you.

Regards,

Rob
Old February 9, 2014, 10:02 AM   #3
g.willikers

Yeah, your expectations do sound high.
The two calibers you need are a couple of the higher priced ones.
But I share your preference for revolvers.
While there's no denying the advantages of auto loaders, they just don't have the same appeal.
There's definitely something special about those clicks and spinning parts of a well made revolver.
Old February 9, 2014, 12:00 PM   #4
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by g.willikers:

Yeah, your expectations do sound high.
^^^I gotta agree. I'm thinkin @ the high end you have $400 worth of brass and you will get about that amount of their ammunition for it.
Old February 9, 2014, 06:41 PM   #5
FloridaGuy

buck460XVR - I was thinking close to $400 dollars also.

I just checked his prices and to purchase 500 rounds of 45LC and .44 Special it would cost $190.00 each per 500 rounds. But if you purchase 1k rounds he is asking $360.00.

I would also be open to some .38Special which he sells 500 rounds for $130.00 and 1k rounds for $240.00.

Maybe I'll just offer him the brass and see what offer he comes back with.

Old February 10, 2014, 01:00 AM   #6
kilimanjaro

He's going to have to prep your brass, you will get loaded ammo ready to shoot. I'd expect maybe 500 rounds, 1,000 only if he's generous.
Old February 20, 2014, 10:16 PM   #7
FloridaGuy

Well I spoke to the Ammo Reman guy today. He was really interested in my 9 mm brass but all he wants to give me is a discount when I purchase ammo from him in return for the brass.

Since I reload all of the ammo that I shoot . I am not really looking at buying ammo that I can make for a lot less. I'll probable just take the brass to the range and dump it in the recycle bin.

Old February 20, 2014, 10:39 PM   #8
Dc777

Don't be dumb about it. Take it to the scrap yard. Brass us a little up there in price as scrap metal goes. A dollar is a dollar.... Right? Heck if you want to give it away and get nothing out if it I'll pay for the shipping to send it to me.

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old February 20, 2014, 10:40 PM   #9
Greybeard

You can probably get some decent fun money for it by taking the brass to a local recycling center. The last time I sold such (mixed calibers), three 5 gallon buckets with 50 pounds in each resulted in about $200. Serious reloaders have jumped all over it (mixed calibers, with some steel and aluminum cases in it) for $100 per bucket.
Old February 21, 2014, 08:59 AM   #10
wayneinFL

You can't find someone to sell it to? You said you have 10K cases, and 1K cases are going for $35 online. That's $350.

Sell it and buy 45LC and 44 special brass.

Or see if someone will trade you for it.