The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 26, 2013, 06:15 AM   #1
trigger

Ruger M77 II all weather - stock advice

I've been looking at doing some home gun smithing to the stock of my early 90's vintage Ruger M77 Mark II all weather .338 win mag.

Since it's not the best shooter I started with free floating the barrel. thought it would be pretty easy but learned very quickly that they have alot ot forearm up preesure on the barrel. In addition the rubber/plastiic stock material does not repond well to sandpaper. seems like it loads the grit up with plastic in about 5 seconds. Finnally got that completed with decent results of maybe 1/16-3/32 gap between the barrel and the stock.

Now i want to epoxy bed the action but the angeled front receiver screw is a little funny. The rear lug has verty little area to work with as well. I need some advice.
  1. What material bonds well to the Ruger all wether stocks?
  1. Where can i create some sapce for bedding?
  1. Is there a pillar bedding an otopn for the all weather stocks/

Any help would be great. I'm trying to convert this hunting rifle into a big bore long range outfit.

What aftermarket stock would be best for this rifle as a long range rig?

Thanks
Old March 26, 2013, 01:03 PM   #2
jmr40

For a hunting rifle, I'd tell you to just order a new one from Ruger. I know they have gone up in price, but I paid $85 including shipping for one a few years ago. Rugers, with the angle bedding USUALLY work better if not free floated. It would be easier and cheaper to just buy another stock than try to add material backto yours. They turn up in forum classifieds and places like e-bay and gunbroker quite often for under $50.

A walnut stock is also a possibility of you wanted to go that way. I was quoted $150 at the time I ordered my synthetic stock. If you really want to modify the stock it is easier to do with wood than a factory synthetic. It is hard to get good results with bedding a factory injection molded stock. Real fiberglass, yes, plastic, no.

If you want to go with an aftermarket stock there are fewer options for Rugers. There are other possibilities but you won't do any better than a McMillan on a Ruger. If you want to really turn it into a long range precision rifle it ain't gonna happen with the plastic stock. Hunting accuracy would be fine.

Another possibiity is one of the Boyds laminated stocks. They are around $100-$150, but will probably need to be professionally fitted to get good results. After paying for the gunsmith work you will not have much less in it than a McMillan will cost you, plus the McMillan will be much lighter, stronger, and still more stable than laminted wood. The McMillan will end up about the same weight as your factory gun. A laminated stock wil be 1-1.5 lbs heavier than where you are now.
Old March 26, 2013, 04:47 PM   #3
trigger

Ruger stocks

I like the idea of more weight so the McMillan sounds good. And I think it may be a lost cause working with the factory stock as you pointed out.

Thanks for the reply.