The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 17, 2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Zilmo

80 + Years Of Love

I just inherited this shotgun (I refuse to call it a "shotty"). My oldest brother brought it to me this afternoon. My dad got it from his best friend as a kid and a young man, and it had belonged to his father. From the serial number, I would place it mid to late Twenties. It probably hasn't been used it thirty years, but my brother said he got his first six Chuckers with it on six straight shots.

It has wear, and a small chunk missing from the base of the stock by the buttplate, but I wouldn't change a thing.

Old September 17, 2009, 05:22 PM   #2
oneounceload

awesome looking gun!....that patina on the wood on the grip shows it was used as a much-loved gun......enjoy it!
Old September 17, 2009, 05:24 PM   #3
TxGun

(I refuse to call it a "shotty").

Refreshing. You sound a little more mature than some.

The solid rib adds to the value of your A5. Nice gun.

FYI...Midwest Gun Works, among others, has a nice factory rebuild kit if you feel you need it.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/...rowning-auto-5
Old September 17, 2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Lee Lapin

I don't know Brownings that well, but I'd say the 'suicide safety' indicates it's early 'twenties or older... . No matter what its born-on date, it's very nice and the fact that it's an heirloom makes it priceless.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old September 17, 2009, 06:13 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Just dern purdy! No one with junk Homer Depot screwdrivers tore up the receiver screws!
I would feed it, clothe it and put a roof over it's head. Nice ol' gal!
Brent
Old September 20, 2009, 04:05 AM   #6
jgcoastie

It ain't worth the scrap price of the steel... I feel so terrible about you being stuck with such a junk firearm that I'll give you $20 for it.

Very nice... I would give my left.. err... pinkie toe for one of those... A finer semi-auto shotgun has yet to be made IMO...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 20, 2009, 10:52 AM   #7
Russ5924

Thank You! For not calling it a SHOTTY:barf: Nothing drives me more crazy than calling a Shotgun a SHOTTY what are they 10 years old I think you have yourself a winner there great looking gun
Old September 21, 2009, 07:31 AM   #8
sophijo

A5

Beautiful and that history is priceless. I have an old Parker, pretty beatup, my Granddad carried, my Dad, and now me. I wouldn't trade it for any gun on the planet!
Old September 21, 2009, 07:55 AM   #9
jaguarxk120

Thanks again for not using the word "shotty" I don't think W.W. Greener ever used that term. Iwould think if one walked into Holland and Holland and asked for a shotty, they would show you the door.

By the way realllly nice Browning. Keep it as it is, it has history.
Old September 21, 2009, 03:35 PM   #10
billyj571

sweet I have a sweet sixteen made in belgum nice gun.
Old September 21, 2009, 09:17 PM   #11
LanceOregon

My first shotgun that I got when I was 15 was a Belgium made Browning Auto 5. It is the shotgun that I first learned to shoot and hunt with when out shooting with my Dad.

Sadly, that beloved shotgun was later stolen in a burglary of my Dad's house. He replaced it, but by then production of the Auto 5 had moved to Japan. I still have that Auto 5, and it is a gorgeous gun that still shoots and functions absolutely great. I just wish I had my original Belgium made gun that I shot with as a kid, instead of this replacement my Dad's insurance paid for. Instead, someone somewhere else has that shotgun.

John Moses Browning was such a visionary, and he personally considered the Auto 5 to be his greatest breakthrough achievement in firearms design. In fact, it was his creation of the Auto 5 that lead to his fall out with Winchester, and his leaving them to go work with Fabrique Nationale instead.

Browning realized that the Auto 5 would revolutionize shotgun shooting, and demanded that Winchester give him a royalty for the gun. When the President of Winchester told him a flat no, and only offered him a miserably low fee to purchase all rights for it, Browning stormed out, and never did business with Winchester again.

The Browning Firearms museum in Ogden, Utah has both the first and last production Auto 5 shotguns on display:

I don't own any shotgun quite that old myself. But I am also a Browning fan, and by far my oldest shotgun is one that is a little over 70 years old, and is Browning's first big achievement in Shotguns: The Winchester Model 1897 pump action.

The 1897 was to pump shotguns what the Browning Auto 5 was to automatics: they were both the first guns of their type to be a real big success. In fact, both were huge hits in the market. The 1897 ended up selling over 1 million guns, and the Browning Auto 5 sold over 3 million units.

I'm honestly hesitant to shoot my 1897 much at all, and I've never even taken it hunting. It is a short 20" model, but has a modified choke, making it quite effective for hunting. It balances and swings just great, despite its short length.

Anyway, nothing is quite like these old classic Browning designed shotguns. They are indeed guns to always treasure. And they pay tribute to a true American hero and genius: John Moses Browning.

Here are some pics of my old Winchester 1897:

Here is a close-up of the stock:

And here is a closer view of the action:

Last edited by LanceOregon; September 21, 2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old September 21, 2009, 09:24 PM   #12
sophijo

Lance

Thanks for the great write-up and the pics!