The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 8, 2007, 11:39 AM   #1
YoungGun

223 Dies Combo?

I plan to use the following .223 dies combo in the Dillon 650 (use the same setup for target practice and precision reloading).

RCBS X-Die Full Length Sizer
Redding Competition Seater Die
Lee Factory Crimp Die

Is there anything that I am missing?
Do I need a separate step to fully resized the brass, trim to the proper recommended length before using the RCBS x-die? If yes, what is your recommendation?
Do I need any special adapter/locking rings for using these dies in the Dillon 650?
Any additional recommendation?

Yg
Old September 8, 2007, 12:16 PM   #2
Linear Thinker

YG - you won't need any adapters to use RCBS or any other make of dies on a Dillon.

Your die selection is good, I use the Redding comp die and Lee crimper as well with excellent results.
223 seems to need less trimming compared to most other cartridges, in my experience.

I have not used the X-dies, and am slightly dubious of their advertising claims.
Please let us know of your experience with it.
LT
Old September 8, 2007, 02:18 PM   #3
CrustyFN

The powder die for your powder measure. I am also very curious how well you like the X-die. If it would keep from having to trim without shortening the life of the brass too much then it would be a great die to have.
Rusty
Old September 10, 2007, 11:22 AM   #4
Alleykat

You have to trim once, after the initial f.l. resizing, when using the X dies. I use the X die for .223 reloading, and I'm not dubious about RCBS's claims. They work well, as advertised.

Most competitors don't crimp rifle ammo.
Old December 26, 2007, 04:05 AM   #5
totalloser

I use the X dies. They do what they say. I am WAY too paranoid of an excessive length KB, so I use a dillon trim die, but use the x-die to shrink the case first. More life outta my brass (in theory ) But I have a RCBS SB die too, and the x dies make so the dillon barely trims anything. The SB it takes more. I am guessing like a difference of .004" on average (?) Get a case length guage and check 'em before you load them.
Old December 26, 2007, 10:35 AM   #6
Alleykat

Quote:
but use the x-die to shrink the case first
The X die isn't designed to shrink the case. You're supposed to trim to .010" more than standard trim-to length, the first time you use the X die. The X die then prevents the brass from "growing" beyond max trim length.