The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 5, 2013, 12:03 AM   #1
smokepole14

Cylinder ball problem

Ok guys I need some help on the right size ball to use. On my 62 colt police by uberti. I'm using .375 balls and after I seat the ball firmly on the powder they creep alot in the cylinder. Actually once I seated the balls one just fell out of the cylinder. There is a tiny bit of lead shaved just on one side of the chamber. Will .380 balls fix this or do I need a new cylinder?
Old January 5, 2013, 12:10 AM   #2
arcticap

It's fairly well known that most of the Uberti .36's need .380 balls.
It's the Pietta's that use the .375's.
That does make the Uberti's a little more problematic to buy ammo for.
Old January 5, 2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Hellgate

Sometimes there is a little overhang of metal along one edge of the chambers after the face is machined flat. When the ball is rammed in it gets shaved out of round or down to a smaller diameter that no longer grips the chamber wall. One way to get rid of "ball creep" (NOT a venereal disease) is to slightly chamfer (bevel) the edges of the mouth of each chamber. Euroarms does this at the factory (all 7 I have owned were/are chamfered). The Ubertis weren't. I have taken either a rounded stone or a countersink drill bit and put a tiny bevel in each chamber mouth. A shallow taper will swage each ball like the Euroarms Remingtons. A short bevel might still shave a ring. The opinion that just because a gun shaves a ring that all will be well is bogus as you have experienced. You could get a chain fire with loose fitting balls or at least a jamming of the cylinder when they migrate forward. I have slightly beveled 2 or 3 revolvers to cure thm of ball creep.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old January 6, 2013, 08:27 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

Got the solution.....

....Send it to me.

I'll figure out what size ball to use.

Probably won't send it back though.

. ;o)
Old January 7, 2013, 05:15 AM   #5
Rainbow Demon

A stopgap method till you obtain the proper size ball is to set the balls on a steel plate and give then a light rap with a light hammer. This turns the round ball into an oblate sphere, increasing diameter at its equator.
The rap with the hammer should leave a small flat on top and bottom of the ball so you just have to be sure to seat the ball with the flat up and well centered.
Old January 7, 2013, 11:58 AM   #6
Hellgate

Maybe squeezing them in a vise to the same degree of handle turning would give a more consistent bulge of the ball.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old January 7, 2013, 08:07 PM   #7
smokepole14

Thanks guys! I got a vice I'll try to flatten the balls a bit to see how they work. Doc very good answer sir!!!