The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 21, 2007, 07:06 AM   #1
ShootingNut

Markings on .45 Casings

I have been accumulating .45 brass at the range for some time, as I plan to soon reload .45's for a new gun I'm purchasing.
My question, after tumbling and cleaning up good, I notice that some have a "straight line indentation" right at the bottom edge. The strike from whatever (ejection system?), actually is enough to slightly distort the casing so it does not slide into my Lee Shellholder as easily as it should.
My thought is that it will not cause any feeded problems, when reloaded and used, am I correct? Have others seen this, and is it from the ejection of the casings from certain handguns?
SN
Old December 21, 2007, 08:44 AM   #2
Mal H
Staff

I assume you mean .45 ACP.

Are you seeing a lot of those cases with indentations? I would say someone at that range has either a poorly adjusted extractor or ejector or the wrong recoil spring for the load. That isn't normal. If they don't slide into a shellholder without a little force, I would reject them.

My thoughts are that it will cause feeding problems. The resizing process doesn't straighten out bent rims.
Old December 21, 2007, 09:11 AM   #3
ShootingNut

Mal

Yes, .45 ACP
Found quite a few, but most would slide in and out of the shellholder without forcing them. I just thought it was strange, that some had no marks and these did.
O.K., thanks for your help, I'll pitch the ones that are "bent" to that point and load the others. Maybe I'll separate those with marks, and see if they feed normal.
I'm wired, haven't bought my .45 yet, but will soon. Somewhat undecided, after hearing of others problems with some 1911's. Had my mind set on a
Springfield Loaded Stainless, or the S&W .45 model. I want a gun that works,
and doesn't require a lot of gunsmithing to keep it going.
Thanks again for your help, and you and yours have a Merry Christmas!
Old December 21, 2007, 02:45 PM   #4
BigJimP

I would toss out the ones with marks on them too.

On a finished cartridge, I use a "case gague" - you can buy them from Dillon and others - but if a finished round does not drop into the case gague easily and drop out easily when you turn it over - then I reject the round and re-inspect it. It should also sit flush with the top of the case gague and not extend out the bottom - so it's a check there as well.

I run every round thru the gague - and then drop them in a box - it only takes a minute or two to check 50 rounds - and occasionally I'll discover a nick on a case as you describe or even a small crack in a case that opened up as the round went thru the press. Its a good last check so you don't get feeding problems.

I'm a 1911 guy - so I'm a little biased on how good 1911's are - but I think its a great design and a great trigger on a gun that is well tuned. Right out of the box I have a number of 1911's that have run flawlessly, especially from Wilson Combat, but all 1911's like to be kept clean and well lubed. A 1911 is not a gun for someone that does not clean it every time he goes to the range - but a good 1911 doesn't need any gunsmithing either. Springfield makes some good guns - I wouldn't be afraid of them - but keep them clean and lubed - and that goes for the mags too ( but why wouldn't you do that, for something you spend your hard earned money on ),
Old December 21, 2007, 03:24 PM   #5
ShootingNut

Clean Freak

That's me, the minute I'm back from the range, it gets cleaned.
Doesn't matter if I shot 100 or 200 rounds, clean it up nice!
Old December 21, 2007, 04:04 PM   #6
angeldeville

as you know .45acp is plentiful, so toss out the nasty ones and keep re-loading the good ones.

Whn I started re-loading I bought about 200 new brass cases, and now I have about 700+ from picking mine up and others

I still have a few of the new non fired cases...
Old December 21, 2007, 04:11 PM   #7
rwilson452

When using new bullets or whatever I use the barrel of my 45s as a case gauge. If it will "fall in/fall out" of either my 45's then I go for it. I make enough to test both pistols. One is a Colt 1991A1 the other a Springfield XD I must have close to 10,000 rounds down the barrel of the Colt and it shoots with more accuracy than the XD. It could be me that make the difference as there isn't that much difference.
Old December 21, 2007, 05:56 PM   #8
BigJimP

Using a barrel as a case gague ..... come on guys, they're only $ 10.95 each for a case gague from Dillon .......why fuss with using a barrel or risk having a barrel roll off a loading table and hit the concrete floor ?
Old December 21, 2007, 06:16 PM   #9
Mal H
Staff

... not to mention that barrels are often much looser than a true case gauge will be, and it won't indicate a future FTF if the case rim is bent.
Old December 21, 2007, 09:18 PM   #10
rwilson452

I work on the principle that if it fits the gun, it fits the gun. the only true test. as to falling on the floor, if I'm at my desk. it falls on a rug. if I'm at my bench it hits a rubber mat.

no worries mate..
Old December 22, 2007, 04:35 AM   #11
Sport45

The only handgun barrels I have that would roll are out of my Dan Wesson revolver and they wouldn't make a very good case gauge. My auto barrels all have lugs that would prevent rolling and I don't mind using them as a "field expedient" case gauge.
Old December 22, 2007, 10:31 AM   #12
Mal H
Staff

I agree, rwilson452, a handgun barrel isn't a bad gauge to use. However, in this particular case with possible bent rims, it is not a good gauge to use. The case rim still has to fit behind the extractor. If the rim is bent, it might cause a FTF if the planets are aligned just right. Just seeing that it drops in the barrel isn't a good indicator that it will feed into that same barrel from the mag at speed.

Now, when I say a handgun barrel is a good gauge, I mean if and only if you are reloading solely for that one handgun. If you load for different firearms in the same caliber (not at all uncommon), you better use a better gauge since a round that fits one barrel isn't necessarily going to fit another.