The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old March 14, 2010, 02:29 AM   #1
Ben Towe

Concealed Carry Badge

Anybody got one? I was thinking it would be nice to have one clipped on your belt if your coat opened then it would be visible along with your weapon. Might keep it from scaring people so bad. Thoughts?
Old March 14, 2010, 03:18 AM   #2
Powderman

Do a search of the forum for this one.

Here it is in a nutshell...

A reasonable person would believe that you--with a badge clipped to your belt--are a LEO. That COULD--based on the totality of the circumstance--be interpreted as impersonating a peace officer, which is a felony anywhere I can think of.

Not worth the trouble.

Save your money.
Old March 14, 2010, 04:43 AM   #3
troy_mclure

Might as well get a badge that says mall ninja.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old March 14, 2010, 05:30 AM   #4
Ben Towe

I fail to see how that would be impersonating a police officer. You cannot purchase a police badge without proof that you are a police officer. Maybe if you went in somewhere flashing it around and saying that you were.

And before anybody starts calling me a mall ninja. I'm not wanting to play cop. I just stumbled across them on the net and it pipqued my interest.
Old March 14, 2010, 06:11 AM   #5
jughead2

badge

these thing just wont go away will they????
Old March 14, 2010, 06:17 AM   #6
drail

The problems are perception and some cops will come down on you for impersonating. Right or wrong it will generally cause more problems that it will solve. I would much rather keep a low profile.
Old March 14, 2010, 07:19 AM   #7
Elvishead

Quote:
Ben Towe

I fail to see how that would be impersonating a police officer. You cannot purchase a police badge without proof that you are a police officer. Maybe if you went in somewhere flashing it around and saying that you were.

And before anybody starts calling me a mall ninja. I'm not wanting to play cop. I just stumbled across them on the net and it pipqued my interest.
I've been a little curious myself about this concept.

If you got a BG down at gunpoint, should you just drop your gun when the police show up, so as to maybe the BG can pick up your gun and shoot you, or the police?

Or best case scenario whip out your CCW badge and show him your legal?

That's a tough one for me! At least give a good reason to not get one, and not saying mall Nina BS.
Old March 14, 2010, 07:34 AM   #8
teeroux

Quote:
whip out your CCW badge and show him your legal?
1 You can just as easily whip out a permit if you carry it in a separate Id wallet.

2 You don't need a permit to buy a badge therefore just because a person has one does not make him or her legal.
Old March 14, 2010, 08:07 AM   #9
Blue Steel

In a perfect world we would have enough people carrying guns that it wouldn't freak people out if they saw your jacket flap open or something. Luckily most people are so obtuse that they don't notice anyway.

Side note: Have you ever noticed how so many TV cops have their gun on one side and their badge on the other? Someone ought to tell them that a belt clipped badge goes just forward of the firearm.
Old March 14, 2010, 08:09 AM   #10
rogelk

Here's what you need...

Last edited by rogelk; March 14, 2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old March 14, 2010, 08:10 AM   #11
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
If you got a BG down at gunpoint, should you just drop your gun when the police show up, so as to maybe the BG can pick up your gun and shoot you, or the police?
Not sure what you mean by "BG down at gunpoint." Do you mean that you have effected a citizen's arrest?

If you are holding a gun on someone when the police show up, you are at some risk of being shot. The really important thing is to drop the gun immediately and without hesitation when the police tell you to do so.

Quote:
As teeroux pointed out, having one of those things does not substantiate that the carrier may carry concealed.

More importantly, in the scenario you describe, the lawfulness of your possessing a gun is a secondary consideration and will be the farthest thing from the policeman's mind. Foremost in importance to him will be whether you pose an immediate danger to him, and that applies whether you are crook, a law abiding civiiian, or an FBI agent. With a gun in your hand, he will presume that you do, no matter what.

After that comes the rest of the situation at the scene. Are there others, does anyone need medical help, etc.

And after that comes the question of whether you are "legal." No, not in carrying concealed, that's not very important in comparison with everything else. What had the guy on the ground been doing? What did you do? Was your presentation of a weapon justified? Were you in imminent danger of death or death or serous bodily harm? Did you have a duty to retreat? Was retreat possible? Did you try to effect a citizen's arrest improperly?

Answering all of that could take anywhere from hours to months, and there will be more than ample time for the police to determine whether you were carrying your weapon lawfully.
Old March 14, 2010, 08:33 AM   #12
Ben Towe

I'm not talking about holding anyone at gun point when the police arrive. I'm talking about day to day carry and people not freaking out if they see my gun. Chances are if I've been forced to draw my weapon and someone has given up instead of running (and I haven't been forced to shoot them) then I've subdued them and I'll be reholstered long before anyone arrives.
Old March 14, 2010, 08:37 AM   #13
BlkHawk73

Quote:
The problems are perception and some cops will come down on you for impersonating. Right or wrong it will generally cause more problems that it will solve. I would much rather keep a low profile.
Bingo! Be an actual LEO or a private citizen, people will see a badge and automatically think "cop". Wanna be a badge carrier, go through the training but even then it's not about the gun. Wanna carry a gun, take it serious and not bother with such infantile things. Heck, in my opinion, even thinking of one of these, considering one scream "mall ninja". At a minimum it says to me, and probably others, the person doesn't fully comprehend the responsability nor take it as serious as it should be taken. (let me guess minimum course only )
Leave the costume jewelry to the old ladies at the bingo hall and for the kids on Halloween.
Old March 14, 2010, 08:49 AM   #14
Ben Towe

BlkHawk73, thanks for the useless post and insult. I get really tired of this "holier than thou" attitude. It sounds like that DEA agent right before he shot his foot off.
Old March 14, 2010, 09:00 AM   #15
kgpcr

You have a card why do you need a badge?? Mall ninja at if best.
Smith M&P 40
Old March 14, 2010, 09:03 AM   #16
KenpoTex

First, You asked for people's thoughts...don't get butt-hurt just because most of us think CCW badges are a stupid idea.

Second, you said:
Quote:
I was thinking it would be nice to have one clipped on your belt if your coat opened then it would be visible along with your weapon. Might keep it from scaring people so bad.
Is "being made" (i.e. people noticing your weapon) a common occurrence for you? Whether it is or not, you're obviously concerned about it. So, why not re-evaluate your carry method (holster type, etc.). I've carried for years and have never been made, not even by people who not only know that I carry, but where I carry it. In other words, training partners who now what type of gun and holster I use can't tell whether I'm wearing it or not.
As a result, I'm not worried about the average doofus in public being able to notice it.

Matt K.
Old March 14, 2010, 09:03 AM   #17
kraigwy

Badges?? Badges????..................we don't need no stupid badges.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 14, 2010, 09:04 AM   #18
mikejonestkd

Its recognized as a really bad idea with no redeeming qualities. its also been beaten to death several times on this forum.
This one is a fun one to read:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...es+in+the+wild
Old March 14, 2010, 09:20 AM   #19
Elvishead

Quote:
OldMarksman

Quote:

Not sure what you mean by "BG down at gunpoint." Do you mean that you have effected a citizen's arrest?

If you are holding a gun on someone when the police show up, you are at some risk of being shot. The really important thing is to drop the gun immediately and without hesitation when the police tell you to do so.

Quote:

As teeroux pointed out, having one of those things does not substantiate that the carrier may carry concealed.

More importantly, in the scenario you describe, the lawfulness of your possessing a gun is a secondary consideration and will be the farthest thing from the policeman's mind. Foremost in importance to him will be whether you pose an immediate danger to him, and that applies whether you are crook, a law abiding civiiian, or an FBI agent. With a gun in your hand, he will presume that you do, no matter what.

After that comes the rest of the situation at the scene. Are there others, does anyone need medical help, etc.

And after that comes the question of whether you are "legal." No, not in carrying concealed, that's not very important in comparison with everything else. What had the guy on the ground been doing? What did you do? Was your presentation of a weapon justified? Were you in imminent danger of death or death or serous bodily harm? Did you have a duty to retreat? Was retreat possible? Did you try to effect a citizen's arrest improperly?

Answering all of that could take anywhere from hours to months, and there will be more than ample time for the police to determine whether you were carrying your weapon lawfully.

Old,

thanks for putting your words fourth!

I've been under the/a gun a few time's. TBS, you're words are absorbed and are greatly appreciated.
Old March 14, 2010, 09:25 AM   #20
Dustin0

Are you looking for one of these ?

Old March 14, 2010, 09:27 AM   #21
BikerRN

Quote:
I'm not talking about holding anyone at gun point when the police arrive. I'm talking about day to day carry and people not freaking out if they see my gun.
OK, without responding in a manner that you would find insulting, from what I've seen of the post here, let me just say that perhaps you should learn to conceal better.

Biker
Old March 14, 2010, 09:37 AM   #22
Losov

I must admit that I agree that this is at best a bad idea that could conceivably turn into a bad and costly one. Your concealed weapon should be just that, therefore obviating the need for a "badge". The card says it all if need be.
Old March 14, 2010, 09:40 AM   #23
Puntmefar

I would personally thing maby a see through pocket on your holster to put your license in would be closest to practal (for the holsters that are easly vissible when exposed eg. belt,ankle,shoulder). but not for when your peice gets noticed by the avrage joe more for the LoE that pulls you over for a routine stop and you have to inform him of your weapon and present your permit he can see both in a instant upon exposure and proceed as he wishes. but even that has its MAJOR problems and possible misunderstandings. I dont see either one being practcal badge or pocket but if i had to choose one i would go pocket
Old March 14, 2010, 09:45 AM   #24
jhenry

Exactly correct BikerRN, carrying concealed is just what it says. Done right, and it would be a pretty rare occurance for you to be made. I generally use an inside he waistband holster anymore, which I find to be easier to hide.

The CCW badges themselves are generally considered something to be avoided for a vartiety of reasons.
Old March 14, 2010, 09:46 AM   #25
pax

Looks like this one has been asked and answered.

Closed for declining civility.

pax
Closed Thread