The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 9, 2006, 09:53 PM   #1
rifleman2

suppressor barrel threads

I'm currently a California resident and having a custom rifle built for me. I tend to move around a lot for job reasons and this new rifle will 'live' in several different states over the coming years. Just because a suppressor is illegal here in CA, that doesn't mean that this new rifle shouldn't be prepared for future suppressor use. So I'd like to have my 'smith prepare my new barrel with proper threading (and a thread protector) for future use.

BUT......is there something like a 'standard' thread spec for suppressors? do commercial suppressor manufacturers all use the same type of attachment? In other words, is it feasible for me to prepare in advance for some unknown future suppressor? I know that I could just have the barrel threaded later, but I'm spending some serious coin on this rifle and I'd rather have the barrel threaded by the actual barrel builder, not some guy down the street working out of his van with stolen tools.

thanks
Old April 11, 2006, 01:11 PM   #2
Zak Smith

There are some standard thread patterns, but then there are always exceptions.

223/556 suppressors are usually 1/2-28 (unless they use some QD system).

308 suppressors are usually 5/8-24. It makes sense to get centerfire rifles chambered from 6.5mm up to .30 caliber threaded 5/8-24, and swap a .30 caliber suppressor on all of them.

-z
Old September 5, 2008, 09:38 AM   #3
johnwilliamson062

can anyone help me with the functional difference between a QD attachment and threads? Will threads give a quieter rifle if done correctly?
Is the difference significant?

Obviously QD can be removed faster, but otherwise...