The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 5, 2001, 09:26 PM   #1
Sid K

I have an Ithaca Model 200E in 12 gauge that I purchased in 1966 and I've grown rather attached to it. I don't remember the grade but it has a single trigger and automatic ejectors. Lately it has started firing both barrels at once occasionally. I logged on to the Ithaca Classic Doubles website but they don't even list a service department and from the prices of their curren line of doubles I couldn't afford them if they did. Can anyone recommend a gunsmith who is familiar with this type of gun?
Old February 5, 2001, 09:42 PM   #2
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Dont load SLUGS!
Old February 5, 2001, 11:09 PM   #3
PJR

Your gun was made by SKB in Japan and imported under Ithaca's brand name. I would try SKB to see if parts are available and if they could recommend a gunsmith. I believe the 200 action is the same as the current sxs made by SKB.

http://www.skbshotguns.com

The Ithaca Classic Doubles are a revival of the older New Ithaca Double one of the classic American shotguns and unrelated to your gun except for the name stamped on the barrels.
Old February 6, 2001, 02:41 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

You've likely got a worn sear seat in the mechanism for the second barrel.

I THINK that the SKBs set the mechanism for the second barrel by inertia. When the mechanism sets, the sear is slipping, giving you the double.

A friend of mine had a NEW Ruger Redlabel 20-gauge trap gun do that for him after about 20 shots. He sent it back to Ruger, and the problem was with the sear seat not having been cut correctly.

Old February 9, 2001, 01:11 AM   #5
JK

Mike is correct, the sear engagement is worn. Any good smith should be able to fix your shotgun. If replacement parts arn't available the parts can be tig welded ,recut and surface hardned.
Don't shoot it anymore until you have it fixed. You most likely won't want to shoot it anyway as it 's kinda hard on the sholder! God Shooting - John K