The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 26, 2011, 07:29 PM   #1
zachkuby87

best way to carry when riding sportbike? sw9ve

Ok so I ride my suzuki tl1000r "v-twin" gsxr pretty much rain or shine everywhere I go unless its snowing I just received my permit to carry and the only pistol I own at the moment is an sw9ve and I'm lookin for a comfortable and easily accesable way to carry I haven't purchased any type of holster at all cause I didn't wanna jump the gun before the permit was in hand.. do any of you guys ride and carry? How do you carru what holster do you use? Thanks ahead of time. And please don't give me any mall ninja answers I hate that **** with a passion that's the entire reason I haven't logged in in months and sure enough I still find mall ninjas all the time I just freaked out and got kicked off another forum for completely freaking out on a few of them talking about how there lasers and flashlights were optimal for lowlight tactical combat situations knowing damn well they've never had to use there weapon once in there life. How those guys even get guns is beyond me and id love to personally slap every one of them. Sorry I'm stil frusterated about it..
Old July 26, 2011, 07:49 PM   #2
justinpar

I carried my SP101 in a Crossbreed Supertuck on my honda 919 and was 100% comfortable.
Old July 26, 2011, 08:36 PM   #3
joehorner

Carry a Tarus 709 slim using a quality leather IWB at 4 o'clock riding a Harley Ultra. Very comfortable. No problem. Even when my wife rides passenger,it does not get in the way. During the hot weather I just leave my t-shirt out.....Joe
Old July 28, 2011, 12:38 AM   #4
zachkuby87

Anyone else? Or anyone that carry's the sw9ve? Which holster do you like? What holsers will work with my sw9ve? Won't a few glock holsters work if so which ones?
Old July 28, 2011, 01:59 AM   #5
scottycoyote

i have a tankbag i switch out between my bikes, always put my goodies in there and then transfer them to my person (or take the bag off and carry it as a backpack).
Old July 28, 2011, 07:17 AM   #6
Yung.gunr

When I was riding more I used to carry my XD9 in a generic OWB nylon holster. It was cheap and did the trick. I carried mine at about 4 o'clock. I now have a nice IWB holster that I would carry at 3 o'clock when I start riding again. I like the idea of the tank bag. Maybe if you get a cheaper pancake holster you could mod it with magnets or something to be a tank holster. I know it sounds ghetto but it would be the most accessible I could think of and it would not dig into you IF you lay it down.

Just a thought.
Old July 28, 2011, 10:17 AM   #7
Pond, James Pond

Don't carry it on you: carry it in a bag or something.

Statistically, you are more likely to get knocked off your bike, or fall unaided than you are of getting attacked whilst riding.

I have been riding a fair few years, and I have seen people with all sorts strapped to their body, whilst on a bike.When I was younger and stoopider, I used to ride with my security chain over my shoulder: unbelievably daft.

You fall with a pistol on you, and there is a very good chance you will break bones. Bones that you need: it could be your hip, ribs, or back. A life long limp, time off work and no earnings, life in a wheel chair etc...

I say wear a leather holster, under the arm, and discreetly put the gun in there whe you get off the bike, and put it back in a tank or seat bag when you get back on.

People who carry seem to do so for protection, and so I say do what will keep you safest most of the time. On a bike that means don't strap lumps of steel to your person!

My 2p: take it or leave it. Either way, ride safe!
Old July 28, 2011, 10:50 AM   #8
LordTio3

Quote:
i have a tankbag i switch out between my bikes, always put my goodies in there and then transfer them to my person (or take the bag off and carry it as a backpack).
On my Ninja I have a matching Icon tank bag and the zipper pocket on the right of the main compartment is perfect for my mid-sized Glock. From there it's just a matter of transfering it from my bag to my holster, or just taking the bag with me. It also doubles as a backpack, so no problems there either. I would definitely recommend this method; but you could also look into some deeper concealment options, such as a bellyband that holds the weapon on your side/ribcage, or something like the 5.11 Tactical concealment holster undershirt.

Hope this helps.

~LT
Old July 29, 2011, 10:27 PM   #9
shawn .223

Cross Draw

Hey Zach, I ride a Road Worrior 1700 and also cary ALWAYS. Normaly I always have a Ruger LCR in a Kramer pocket holster...but this will cause accessibility problems if you need it from a sitting position on the bike. Therefore depending on where I intend on going and if I know I will be riding all day and not just a quick ride to the store I will slip it into a Kramer cross draw holster and where two T-shirts, one tucked in and the other untucked. This hides the small revolver perfectly and is very handy should I need it quick. I use the same set-up if I know I will be driving all day long, very comfortable and extremly easy to grab from a sitting position. Just my opinion works well fo me.

Shawn
Old July 30, 2011, 12:21 AM   #10
chack

I think a Sigma is kind of big for CCW.
Old July 30, 2011, 07:27 AM   #11
zachkuby87

Yea it is kinda big but its what I own now and I can't afford to buy a new pistol atm so its gonna have to do the trick cause I'm working on getting an apartment and saving for a deer rifle right now because I came up on hard times last year and sold mine to my sister. That and I really don't like the little pocket pistols I can shoot them but its not very comfortable for me and I'm not very accurate with them. With my sigma at the range the other I set the target at 15 yards and was able to keep a 4-5 inch group with a few straglers here and there through 100 rounds with some complete junk ammo I've never heard of but for 8 bucks per 50 rounds I couldn't pass it up. Sigma functioned flawless btw only problem I've ever had was one time it failed to lock the slide back after the last round... but last night I purchased blackhawk serpa for he glock 21 after some research I found 5 or six guys who all use it with there sigma. And I bought the shoulder rig for it too.. I also ride with a back pack cause I can't stand tank bagsfor whatever reason. There's an extra compartment in the top I'm gonna bring it to my aunt and see if she can't modify it to hold my sigma nice and snug and still be easily accesible
Old July 30, 2011, 08:22 AM   #12
Wag

I ride a Busa and I've given a great deal of thought to this issue.

Carrying on body is hazardous for reasons mentioned above. You fall on your pistol, it's going to hurt at best.

One time only, I carried the 92FS in my belly band holster for a short ride but it's at 3:00 and it sits ride on that hip bone. I was comfortable carrying it there but very concerned about how that would feel if I went down. Even the armpit carry mentioned above (optimal, if carrying on body, I imagine) bears a significant risk.

Generally speaking, I don't care for the idea of carrying off body. However, in order to carry on the bike, I have to make a compromise in this area or a compromise in taking the risk of falling on it if it's off body. My tank bag is a suitable location for a Makarov and spare mag. However, I have to make sure to keep it close at hand at all times and never walk away from it for any reason whatsoever.

Same with the fanny pack that I use to carry from time to time. The fanny pack is a compromise but I feel it will get stripped off in a slide down the road so I feel a bit more okay with it. It's also not, in my opinion, a good conceal.

Another thought about carrying on the bike: Don't plan on shooting while riding for any reason. It's not tactically feasible. Your best option on a bike is to escape from any threat. If you're at an intersection, you may be able to fend off a bike jacking (a reason not to use a tank bag for guns or valuables) but even then, dicey. My only real reason to carry when riding is to be sure I can protect myself when I'm off the bike at a restaurant or gas station, etc.

Just some thoughts.

--Wag--
Old July 30, 2011, 09:18 PM   #13
zachkuby87

Ya I would never even consider shooting while riding unless it was really a life or death situation and odds are unless someone riding another 1000cc sportbike or a buggati veyron was shooting at me I can pretty much dissapear on em in the blink of an eye so that would never happen. And yeah I figure it'll be easier to just carry on me because I make a lot of random pit stops and stop to eat on the bike I really wouldn't wanna have to take the gun out of the tank bag and holster it everytime I stop and go in somewhere. Cause I would never leave it on the bike regardless if I was only running in to pay for gas... but thanks guys I'm just gonna wait on my blackhawk set up to get here and I hope it works out....
Old July 31, 2011, 10:17 AM   #14
Wag

When I have to carry in the tank bag, I just take it in with me wherever I go. I still don't like it, though.

--Wag--
Old August 3, 2011, 07:08 AM   #15
zachkuby87

Ok so I ordered a holster and shoulder rig from blackhawk last Friday july 29th I paid in full with my credit card and on their website it says my order is still being processed and its now Wednesday the 3rd of august is this normal? I called them and left a voicemail asking for someone to call me about my order on Sunday "they were closed" and I e mailed them yesterday morning and no response yet I'm starting to wonder what the hell Is going on... with anything else I've ever ordered on the internet it would have been here by now. Does anyone have experience with them is there usually a wait time like this?
Old August 3, 2011, 09:33 AM   #16
Wag

I don't about Blackhawk specifically, but some of the holster makers build your holster when it's ordered.

YMMV.

Check your credit card and see if it's been charged. If it has, then it should also be shipped.

If you just ordered it last Friday, depending on the time of day, it could easily take until this coming Friday for you to receive it.

--Wag--
Old August 3, 2011, 01:07 PM   #17
reppans

I agree with others about not having a lump of steel next to bones in case of a get-off, and that the tank bag is the best option. JMHO, but I think the shoulder holster is the most dangerous place to carry.

If you go down, some form of the fetal position is often an instinctive reaction. You land, or hit something, and your arm gets smashed up against the gun/holster and the gun/holster gets crushed into your ribs and if they break... well, let's just say you need your ribs to breath - perhaps one lung is enough though.

Just make sure you don't go down with that shoulder holster .

Tags
motorcycle carry , riding , sw9ve