The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 29, 2011, 09:14 PM   #1
danfromeasthampton

Sight Options for Buckmark 22LR

I have a Buckmark 22LR with open sights I would like to upgrade to either a scope or a red dot type of sight. After researching holographic sights, the reviews for lower price versions are consistently poor with complaints such as cheap material, poor sight retention and such.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a decent sight that doesn't cost more than the pistol? Also, what would be required for installation? The gun does not have a rail so I am assuming I would need that as well. Dan
Old June 29, 2011, 09:56 PM   #2
CortJestir

I have a Burris FastFire on my Buck Mark Hunter. Couldn't be happier.
Old June 30, 2011, 12:29 PM   #3
Poodleshooter

Two options for rails:
1. Regular rail that replaces your rear sight. This precludes use of sights. Cost is about $20-30 from several manufacturers such as B-Square.
2. Picatinny rail with imbedded rear sight. Only TacSolutions makes these currently. They run $65-75.

I recently stuck a huge old ATN red dot reflex sight on my Buckmark, after suppressing it. It's nice for late night trash can possums when irons would be invisible or too slow to use.
My chief problem with compact red dots is that most are made for shotguns or centerfire rifles, and use huge 3-8 MOA reticles that aren't suited for the tiny targets my Buckmark will be shooting. Finding adjustable sized "dot only" reticles cuts your choices down. Finding dot only and tiny size is rather tough.

The Primary Arms micro dot reflex sight, the Primary Arms regular microdot, the Vortex Sparc and the Burris Fastfire are all just barely in your price range. Those are all a step above the $30-$50 "BSA type" red dots that you find at Walmart and sporting goods box stores.

Don't expect $30-100 red dots to do that well. Sometimes you get lucky, but it's rare. Even $100-200 red dots, while ok, are not going to suffer being knocked around like $400+ Aimpoints and Eotechs.
Old June 30, 2011, 12:53 PM   #4
geetarman

Follow the link to an aluminum sight base with integral rear sight for Buckmark.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=790216

Take the old base off and toss it. This sight does not use the star washers.

Locktite the base in place and you are good to go.

I have a Sig Sauer red dot on mine and my son has the same rig on his.
http://www.sigsauer.com/SigStore/Sho...&productid=286

Several manufacturers market them. I got mine from Botach. They were about $100.
I just checked and it seems they do not have them any more. You might Google them and give them a call. They may have a closeout.

Sig wants about $199 for them. You can get them a lot cheaper.
You will just have to search a little.

Once dialed in, it is just about perfect and it will not shoot loose and you can flip the thing off and use your irons.

You have a good gun. Change out the sight base and you have an almost perfect gun.

Geetarman

Last edited by geetarman; June 30, 2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old June 30, 2011, 01:01 PM   #5
jhansman

I put the Sightmark Sure Shot reflex sight on my Buckmark and it has proven to be the best $50 I've invested in some time. It holds zero consistently and the four reticles are all visible in the brightest of light. With a Weigand rail, it is a great, inexpensive way to move up from the stock sights.

Tags
optics , scope help , scopes , sights