The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2010, 03:47 PM   #1
iblong

Lee Die question

I have a Lee delux turrit press using Lee dies.When using my deprime/sizing die I have to sometimes press in on my 45 brass to get them to go into the die and a friend of mine with the same set up has to do this on every round.
This is only with the 45 acp,changing positions in the press does nothing. does not happen with 9mm,38spl. or 357.anyone else have to do this?
is it a die problem.On my old press using RCBS I never had this issue.
Bob.
Old February 15, 2010, 03:50 PM   #2
RidgwayCO

Yes, I had that same problem using Lee 9mm Luger dies with the Lee Classic Turret press. Switching to RCBS dies solved the problem for me.
Old February 15, 2010, 03:58 PM   #3
gregjc9

I've not had this problem with mine. Maybe send a note to Lee or call them?

Greg
Old February 15, 2010, 04:10 PM   #4
sewerman

Lee Die question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
question:
I have a Lee delux turrit press using Lee dies.When using my deprime/sizing die I have to sometimes press in on my 45 brass to get them to go into the die and a friend of mine with the same set up has to do this on every round.
This is only with the 45 acp,changing positions in the press does nothing. does not happen with 9mm,38spl. or 357.anyone else have to do this?
is it a die problem.On my old press using RCBS I never had this issue.
Bob.

answer:
the picture i get from your description is you are having to press the case into the shell holder inorder to aligin the case with the die opening?

you can adjust the timing of your turret, the directions for doing so are in the instruction/set-up sheet that came with the press.
i have occasionaly had this problem when operating the press too fast.
the shell holder doesn't grip the case rim tight and the force of motion can cause the case to misalign. rotating the opening of the shell holder can also help to bring the case into better aligment with the mouth of the die.
i have set the shell holder at 90 degrees to the left as you face the press or straight forward and even 45 degrees to the left whatever helps.
hope this helps......

sewerman

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!
Old February 15, 2010, 05:26 PM   #5
CrustyFN

Don't know if it will work with the deluxe turret but most of the time this will fix that problem with the classic turret. Turn the shell holder so the opening is at the 9 oclock position, straight out to the left.
Old February 15, 2010, 05:31 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Try turning the shell holder.

Also, loosen the sizing die just enough so that it has a little "wiggle room", then run a case up into the die and, while the case is still fully in the die, tighten down the die.
Old February 15, 2010, 05:44 PM   #7
iblong

Thanks guys Ill give these things a try tonight ,Ill also throw in my RCBS die and see if it makes a difference.I do not use the auto index function I rotate it manually so out of sinc is not an issue.
Bob.
Old February 15, 2010, 10:18 PM   #8
uncyboo

Make sure there is not some hidden crap in the groove of your shellholder.
Old February 15, 2010, 11:13 PM   #9
boston

I've had the same problem, usually when changing calibers. After calls to Lee and reading forums and just plain messing with it, it turns out that readjusting the die from scratch, cleaning everything, and I mean everything, the press was back to normal. My guess is that even though the dies are supposed to stay aligned, after repeated use, they don't. Hope it works for you.
Old February 16, 2010, 01:58 AM   #10
Tex S

I have had the same problem, and I know how to fix it.

Here's whats happening... The holes drilled in the turret were not squared with top of the turret. To verify that this is the problem, I suggest you get a square and lay it up against a die (no lockring) that has been screwed into the turret. The side of the die should be square to the top of the turret.

I had this problem with my .380 turret. I found that the hole I had the FL die screwed into was way out of square. It was constantly crushing cases if I didn't guide them in with my hand. I simply moved the expander die (because it has the widest mouth) to the out-of-square hole. Everything is fine now.

If you get your square out, I promise you will find the root of your problem. The LCTP is a fine press, but since it is made of such cheap parts, it does have its quirks.
Old February 16, 2010, 06:17 AM   #11
NCMountain

crusty is right. I rotated my shellholder plate where the opening is at 9 o'clock and all is good.

But I also have the Classic turrett but that should make no difference.
Old February 16, 2010, 01:48 PM   #12
Taroman

Hmmm. I just had the same happen last night with a new .38 Special Lee die set in a new turret on my classic.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old February 16, 2010, 02:39 PM   #13
Uncle Buck

I have the same problem with my lee die in the single stage press. Usually it is because I have not placed my shell all the way into the shell holder (Which I keep at the 9 O'clock position).
Old February 16, 2010, 04:05 PM   #14
Taroman

E-Mail Sent to Lee Precision

Just sent this. I find them to be very responsive. Will post their reply.

I have just set up a new 38 Special Lee Deluxe Pistol 4-Die Set in a new 4-hole turret head in my Lee Deluxe Turret Press.

When using the De-prime/Sizing die I find that the case mouth is hitting the die mouth with a sharp interference and I must then guide the case into the die using my fingertips. Then it sizes fine. The shellholder is firmly in place and the cases are fully inserted into the holder. It feels like I could smash the case if I’m not careful here.

This is using once-fired Remington cases from factory loads.

In the past, I have loaded a large amount of 44 Special and Magnum with that Lee Deluxe Pistol 4-Die Set and never encountered this issue.

Please advise if this is normal and, if not, how I should adjust my setup.

Old February 16, 2010, 04:23 PM   #15
NWPilgrim

Three things have caused this for me:

- powder in the shell holder goove prevents the case from going all the way into the shellholder and aligning with die

- shellholder not quite snapped all the way into the ram slot

- shellholder opening toward the left as I am facing the press, and just as Lee describes the case can rattle out a bit with vigorous turning of the turret. I turn the shellholder opening more toward me and slow down on the press handle.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old February 16, 2010, 04:33 PM   #16
wild willy

Mine does it doesn't matter which way I put the shell holder even switched the ram around still does it I just kinda guide the case in. Mine press is an old three hole When they first started making them.If I knew for sure the new cast press didn't do it I would get one. I don't think there is any press quicker to change calibers than a lee turrent
Old February 16, 2010, 05:44 PM   #17
Taroman

Brand new shellholder, rotated every which way, so its not the issue. My guess is that the carbide insert needs a bit more countersinking at the mouth. As I noted to Lee, the .44 die works perfect.

Old February 16, 2010, 06:00 PM   #18
Tex S

See post 10. I have had the same exact problem and this is how to fix it.
Old February 17, 2010, 12:14 PM   #19
Taroman

Lee Confirms: Tex has the answer.

02-17-10

James,
That interference is not normal. Try indexing the dies in the turret one hole clockwise. Move them over 1 hole.
It may solve the problem. The key is find the hole that the resizing die works best in. The other dies have more clearance in them.

Bill
Tech Service