The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 27, 2000, 09:39 PM   #1
Coolray

Being new to reloading I'm not sure how to tell ball from flaked and be sure....Yet Also can I mail order WW 231? The retail store where I live really suck in service but have good prices but I'd rather support anybody else.
Old October 27, 2000, 09:56 PM   #2
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

Yes it's a ball powder and yes you can order it from another source. However, if you have it shipped, you must pay a hazmat fee.

Some dealers will eat the hazmat fee if you buy large containers i.e. 8lb kegs. In some cases, they'll eat the hazmat if you buy either a 8lb or 16lb keg.

Around these here parts, W231 is readily available in almost every gun shop.

Regards

------------------
Son
1911 Addiction
"The tree of liberty will grow only when watered by the blood of tyrants."

[This message has been edited by ArmySon (edited October 28, 2000).]
Old October 28, 2000, 12:33 AM   #3
bk40

Son is correct. Many other powder makers (AA, Hodgdon...) manuf ball powders, but Winchester owns the trademark on "ball", so they are marketed under different descriptions such as spherical
Old October 28, 2000, 08:01 AM   #4
SKR

First of all, there isn't a dealer alive who will eat a $15 HazMat charge on an 8 pound caddy of powder!

Secondly, Hodgdon does NOT manufacture powder. Their powders are made by several manufacturers and simply re-packaged and distributed by Hodgdon.

Old October 28, 2000, 09:59 AM   #5
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

SKR
You sure are one angry fellow.

T&T Reloading consistently pays the haz mat fee for 16lb keg or 25,000 primer orders. On occasion, I believe they run specials where they eat the haz mat if you order 8lb kegs in conjunction with bullets, brass whatever.

I thought Cabelas at one time ate the haz mat fee too with 8lb keg orders.

Then again, I could be wrong.
Old October 28, 2000, 01:35 PM   #6
Coolray

Thanks for the Info I'll check out T&T. I plan to use ww231 for all my pistols I have tried CCI primers and Not happy so I'll try the winchesters(reccomended here at TFL) I'm loading .44spl .45 ACP and 9mm

Handloading is a blast
Old October 28, 2000, 01:59 PM   #7
Nevada Fitch

I have shot W231 a lot it is a good powder a little smokie though.Dont forget about Bullseye powder.In my opinion it is cleaner burning.Also I read that someone did a test and found that Bullseye would give the same velocity with less powder in the 45ACP and with Less pressure.Just food for thought.
Old October 29, 2000, 10:05 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

Many of Hodgdon's powders, including HP 38 and H110, are made by Winchester, or were at one time.

HP 38 is a virtual twin of WW 231, and H110 is almost identical to WW 296.

------------------
Smith & Wesson is dead to me.

If you want a Smith & Wesson, buy USED!
Old October 31, 2000, 01:14 PM   #9
Cheapo

Yup, Win 231 is a "Ball" powder. It just looks like a flake because it is flattened in the manufacturing process.

It's the old adjust the burning characteristics by altering the physical shape trick. It's a ball just like oatmeal is a grain. Both get smashed before delivery to the user.

Re: Bullseye...I once watched a guy chrono 9mm loads with 90-grain bullets all the way up to 1500 FPS. DO NOT TRY THIS!!! He was obviously way over pressure before he reached 1400 fps. It was an experiment, using a pistol which is no longer made. I think his top experimental loads would blow even a Glock 17.

He did *not* repeat the experiment and sticks with published loading data for all loads now.