The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 9, 2005, 07:03 PM   #1
rugerdude

odd skeet tecniques.

Have you guys seen/heard of/used a really wierd skeet shooting tecnique?
I thought this might be a fun thread because I shoot skeet by first keeping both eyes open and the before I pull the trigger I "wink" at the target and fire. I do this to be sure my barrel is in line with or has the proper lead. The only problem is that I have my head so low on the gun that when I fire it it hurts my cheek and right now (after 3 rounds) it is visibly swollen.

Happy shooting,
rugerdude

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old April 9, 2005, 07:50 PM   #2
K80Geoff

OK Which eye does the winking. Shooting eye or the other one? Which is your dominant eye? The one looking down the barrel should be the dominant eye.

If you shift your focus to the sight from the target you will miss.

You should be able to focus on the target, bring your gun to your shoulder and shoot and hit the target without looking at the sights.

If your cheek hurts, the gun doesn't fit.

Sounds like you are "Crawling" the stock as if you are shooting a rifle.

To be sure the barrel is in proper alignment, try one of those light pipe type sights. They can only be seen if the dominant eye is properly aligned with the barrel.
Old April 9, 2005, 09:03 PM   #3
kudu

Agree with Geoff, gun doesn't fit, and check eye dominance. You really don't want to even notice the beads on the barrel, only on the bird, the beads are just reference points for set up and fit. The light pipes that he talks about are those fiber optic fluorescent front sights. They distract me more than anything, attracts my eyes back to the barrel which is a no-no for wing shooting. Some people love them though.

You might go to ultra-light loads to shoot with to help in the meantime.
Old April 10, 2005, 02:09 PM   #4
rugerdude

I have a fiber opic front bead and my non-dominant eye does the winking. I'm used to shooting rifles so I try to re-create shooting a rifle, but still be able to see the bird until I have a proper lead. This is when I wink and see that my front bead is however far in front of the target it needs to be and BANG dead claybird.

I have improved quite a bit by doing this over things other people have told me to do, like focusing on the bird the whole way. I focus on the bird and get a relative lead, then I wink and focus on my bead, this allows me to correct lead better while still seeing the clay. I get too excited on doubles and shoot too quicly though, so that is what I need to work on. However my method has helped me a lot. I guess sometimes you just have to figure out your own way of doing things.

I have no doubt that the gun doesn't fit (it's a mossberg 500 knockoff) and I have a bruise on my cheek now but I just don't have the money for a new gun. BTW what is "crawling"?

thanks,
rugerdude

Old April 10, 2005, 06:42 PM   #5
K80Geoff

"Crawling" means moving your cheek ariound the stock to get a better sight picture. Rifle shooters do this a lot. Bad Ju Ju for shotgunners.
Old April 11, 2005, 02:08 PM   #6
P102

Couple things....

First off, try to get away from that "wink" you're doing and focus on the bird at all times. If you need to go with a "dot" or tape on your glasses, fine, just stop changing focus from bird to bead.

Sore cheek is not necessarily due to bad gun fit. If you are anywhere near average build a gun right off the shelf should fit fine for the most part. Shooters wanting to perfect their game might need better fit but unless it's WAY off, I wouldn't worry about fit until you become more proficient and solve your other problems first.

P_102
Old April 11, 2005, 05:06 PM   #7
rugerdude

I have tried and tried and tried to keep my focus on the bird and away from the bead and it simply DOES NOT WORK FOR ME. I must have wasted 250 shells not hitting anything trying to do that and getting maybe 5 hits per round. Only when I finally stopped listening to what people said worked for them and doing what worked for me (simulating rifle shooting) was I able to improve. I shot 14 out of 25 using my method for the first time, it would have been more except I get jumpy on doubles. That is a vast improvement over the "better" method.

BTW The 250 shells was split between 3 practices and I had a coach there for 2 of those telling me exactly what I should do. I much rather like the comment given to me by a guy I shot a round with and told of my method, "whatever works for you"

I don't mean any disrespect but this thread was started for the purpose of objective points of view on how to shoot skeet, not for me to be criticized for the way I shoot after the conventional method did not work for me.

I do appreciate the gun fit advice though. I'm certain it has to do with my new method of shooting or rather the new position of my head while using my method. (this was the first time I have used it and have shot the gun numerous times in the past without this problem) I think I need to raise my head up just a tad off the stock.

Old April 11, 2005, 09:19 PM   #8
Skeetin'870

Being one of the main people who shoot skeet with rugerdude you can say is technique is odd, but it has been a vast improvement over what he was shooting. He shot his best this last saturday, and it seems to help him. Trust me he sucked badly :barf: before this last saturday. We werent sure if it was the gun but it seems to fit him just fine. We tought it could have been the ammunition but again it wasnt. winking seems to do the trick for him
Old April 12, 2005, 06:00 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Raising your head off the stock will not help. Your head will be in a different position each shot, so consistency goes to heck.

Use cardboard or something taped to the comb to raise your head's position a little, and see how that works for you. I've a hunch your troubles are partly form related and partly fit. One at a time.

HTH....
Old April 12, 2005, 06:38 AM   #10
K80Geoff

I would suggest doing some work at a patterning board to see where your gun shoots.

You may have problems with eye dominance shifting from one eye to the other. I learned that I had this problem when I became tired, my scores dropped in the last few stations of 100 bird SC shoots. Oddly it took taking up bullseye pistol to figure this out. Found my eye dominance shifted to my left eye when I could no longer see the red dot in the scope during slow fire.I was shooting in an evening league after working all day and was not exactly at full energy.

I believe your left eye is taking over and you are forced to compensate for this by winking and using the bead as a crutch.

Try one of those magic dot stick on thingies (or a piece of frosty scotch tape) over your left eye and then concentrate on the target.

You have to be able to mount the gun and shoot dead center without adjusting (crawling) around the stock like a rifle shooter.
Old April 12, 2005, 08:01 AM   #11
the possum

Quote:
If you shift your focus to the sight from the target you will miss.
You should be able to focus on the target, bring your gun to your shoulder and shoot and hit the target without looking at the sights.
Quote:
You really don't want to even notice the beads on the barrel, only on the bird, the beads are just reference points for set up and fit.

Heheheeheee! It's great reading comments like this. Handgunners swear the above is impossible, and that hits can only be made by focusing on the sights, and ignoring the target completely. So how do shotgunners pull it off? Hmmmm.....
Old April 12, 2005, 04:32 PM   #12
Skeetin'870

Quote:
Heheheeheee! It's great reading comments like this. Handgunners swear the above is impossible, and that hits can only be made by focusing on the sights, and ignoring the target completely. So how do shotgunners pull it off? Hmmmm.....

Shotgunners do it beacouse we dont have 1 specific point where our shot is going thats how we do it. Different story in hunting but in skeet you need to swing and follow the bird not the bead
Old April 12, 2005, 05:20 PM   #13
kudu

Quote:
Yep, if it were so simple, but a shotgun is pointed at a moving target, or ahead as the case may be. Pistols and rifles are aimed at a certain point. If there is only air in front of the target flying, what would you aim at?
Old April 12, 2005, 05:21 PM   #14
rugerdude

The air in front of the target of course!