The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 9, 2017, 10:38 AM   #1
Fusion

Savage 212 vs 220 Youth

I have the option to buy either a Savage 212 12 gauge bolt action slug gun or a 220 youth model 20 gauge at a greatly reduced price. I see the 20 gauge seems to get favorable reviews, but I'm unsure about the youth stock. I'm 5'11" and it felt okay, so i think I'd be okay with it, but that makes me hesitant. The 212 is a full size and seems to be a slightly better deal, but I don't know that I want that recoil for something that doesn't seem to hit any harder. It's only $30 more than the 220, while it is about $100 more online. Which is the best choice here?
Old August 9, 2017, 12:22 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

"...I'm 5'11"..." You don't need a "Youth" model. You need a big kid's LOP. Don't seem to be any actual numbers anywhere. Put the butt in your elbow. If you can easily reach the trigger with your finger, it fits. Too short can be fixed with a recoil pad though. Usually adds about an inch. Too long(highly unlikely to apply for you) with a synthetic stock depends on the stock. Some of 'em are not solid and can't be cut. Boyd's makes wood/laminate stocks for 'em though.
Otherwise the 2 are virtually identical other than the chambering and rifling twist. Within tenths for OAL and weight. No 12 gauge slug will do anything a 20 will not.
Not much comparison of recoil. No figures for like weight shotguns and shot/slugs. However, recoil is subjective. And is easily tamed. Recoils pads can be about felt recoil too.
Old August 9, 2017, 12:26 PM   #3
FITASC

Quote:
Put the butt in your elbow. If you can easily reach the trigger with your finger, it fits
That is NOT how shotgun stocks are determined to fit or not. There is more to fit than LOP.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa