The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 3, 2017, 12:47 PM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

Kel-Tec KSG-25 - 25 rounds of 12ga.

Apparently, Kel-Tec decided to make a longer version of the KSG that holds 25 2.75" shells or 41 minis. Something tells me it is a bit front heavy.
Old August 3, 2017, 01:55 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Can you blame them? It will sell.
"Bigger is better."
Look at all the people putting mag extensions on their conventional guns- they are pretty front-heavy.
Old August 3, 2017, 02:47 PM   #3
TruthTellers

Not at all interested in how front heavy that long KSG will be but a similar shotgun of the same OAL will hold less than 50% of what that KSG will.

That long KSG will also hold 40 rounds of the Aguila Minishells. Let's hope NY and CA politicians don't find that out or they'll have panic attacks.
Old August 3, 2017, 07:45 PM   #4
FITASC

Except those mini shells don't feed that great a lot of the time.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa

Last edited by FITASC; August 4, 2017 at 06:16 PM. Reason: STUPID spelling error.... :(
Old August 4, 2017, 05:38 PM   #5
chardin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
Except those mini shells don't feel that great a lot of the time.
Aren't they supposed to hurt?

(Yeah, I know what you meant. I'm a silly guy.)
Old August 4, 2017, 06:17 PM   #6
FITASC

good catch!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 4, 2017, 06:20 PM   #7
brian33x51

Looking more and more like the startgate atlantis genii shotgun? http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Genii_shotgun
Old August 4, 2017, 07:46 PM   #8
chardin

Quote:
good catch!
Have you tried the mini shells in a repeater? I have not.
Old August 4, 2017, 07:47 PM   #9
chardin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian33x51 View Post
Looking more and more like the startgate atlantis genii shotgun? http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Genii_shotgun
Quote:
Range: 3-5 meters
So, shotguns got worse?
Old August 4, 2017, 09:17 PM   #10
FITASC

Quote:
Quote:
good catch!
Have you tried the mini shells in a repeater? I have not.
Yes I have, which is where my comment came from. One guy brought his to a local shotgun club - it was the Keltec bullpup (as opposed to the CSMC DP-12). It had a lot of feeding issues with the short shells - enough I wouldn't use them in this gun for anything serious.
Old August 4, 2017, 09:26 PM   #11
Screwball

Kel-Tec KSG-25 - 25 rounds of 12ga.

Bottom ejecting shotguns are not ones you want to play around with mini-shells... a real pain when the shell flips around backwards.

One shortcoming of those designs, which if you look at an Ithaca 37, it is very similar to the KelTec, just one tube instead of two. Short stroking is another downfall, as then bottom ejecting action is doing stuff the entire way through the pump. Mess it up, then you are digging through that one port opposed to having a separate ejection port to remediate the jam from.

And I'm a fan of the Ithaca and KSG...

In regards to the long KSG, no thanks. The KSG is even enough loaded... rather not have ten extra shells. But the one good thing, people magazine dumping will have further area between the muzzle and their fingers, when they slide of the forend.
Old August 4, 2017, 09:29 PM   #12
chardin

Quote:
Yes I have, which is where my comment came from. One guy brought his to a local shotgun club - it was the Keltec bullpup (as opposed to the CSMC DP-12). It had a lot of feeding issues with the short shells - enough I wouldn't use them in this gun for anything serious.
Interesting. That's good to know, especially given how often I see people citing the magazine capacity for these guns in terms of mini-shells. I'd rather have two shots for sure than 40 where I spend my last thirty seconds of life as if I were in a firearms-oriented episode of I Love Lucy.
Old August 6, 2017, 04:39 PM   #13
Dfariswheel

Many people have good reliability with the Aquila mini-shells in the KSG.
However, I'll be using the Italian Noblesport 2 1/4 inch buckshot load that has low recoil and 6 pellets of 00 or a standad 2 3/4 inch low recoil load.

The standard KSG is an effective HD shotgun and has had the bugs worked out to the point where it's being used by the South Korean "White Tiger" and French R.A.I.D. antiterrorist units, some police departments, and some unnamed US special ops units.

The ultra long KSG looks more like a range toy.
Old August 6, 2017, 05:13 PM   #14
TruthTellers

It definitely does look (and weighs enough) to be a range toy. Idk, I'm thinking Kel Tec must have wanted something to compete with the DP12 and they figured "SIZE MATTERS" so they made the KSG as long as possible and now it can hold 25 rounds of 2-3/4" shells.

Why would any man or woman want the fat and ugly DP12 that only holds 16 rounds when they could have a big, long, and sleek KSG that holds 25 shells?

It serves no purpose, but I can see a purpose for a KSG that's longer than the standard, but shorter than the 25. The KSG isn't as quick to reload as a standard pump shotgun, thus an extra 1 or 2 shells per tube could make a difference.
Old August 7, 2017, 07:38 AM   #15
Bartholomew Roberts

My understanding is there was interest in the KSG overseas; but the KSG didn't meet minimum length requirements in some of those countries. As they were making it longer, they apparently thought "Might as well lengthen the mag tubes too."

Once they'd done all that they decided to try and sell a few here as well (according to the linked story).
Old August 7, 2017, 08:37 AM   #16
FITASC

Where a lot of us had trouble with the Keltec and the mini shells was in the area of switching mag tubes; as in that little lever that you use would inadvertently get switched to the other tube - or worse - to the middle and then would dump live ammo on the ground. I'm sure with a lot of practice that might be avoided, but if it started happening in a serious situation with adrenaline pumping..........