The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 20, 2011, 01:57 PM   #26
wcar

It's hard to imagine a LEO (sheriff or P.D.) not coming down hard on someone in a residential neighborhood firing a weapon in the back yard, especially on multiple occasions. 'Discharging a firearm within XX feet of an inhabited dwelling' comes to mind. Is it possible this neighbor is a retired LEO of some type (Fed., etc.) that is able to 'talk' to the sheriff? It's a tough spot to be in. He likely thinks what he's doing is perfectly OK and if he perceives you are the one making 'trouble' for him, no telling what his reaction might be. After all, it sounds like he really is a 'nut with a gun.'
Old December 20, 2011, 03:00 PM   #27
orangello

If you can't convince him to stop without evidence of danger and the neighborly love doesn't seem to be in effect, why not set up a tarp in the most likely ricochet area or your yard to bear witness to any ricochets coming your way. Show it to him if it starts to get holey; if he lacks interest, show it to the local cops as evidence of unsafe activity.

Maybe a gift certificate for a 6 month membership at the local range wouldn't be a bad peace offering/christmas gift? Or maybe some soft point ammo for less likelihood of ricochet; that could start a productive discussion if duder reloads.
Old December 21, 2011, 09:53 AM   #28
NJgunowner

Tell the dummy to switch to frangible ammo.
Old December 21, 2011, 11:54 AM   #29
MTT TL

Quote:
In the case here, the problem isn't whether or not shooting is legal. The problem is that the way the guy is shooting is dangerous.
The problem with this charge is that it is a matter of opinion without an actual "accident" happening. It is difficult to prove in court I imagine. Still, I would like to see such actions stopped.
Old December 21, 2011, 12:21 PM   #30
Steel Talon

If what he is doing is legal, than he has the right to do what he enjoys. However, he must take on a greater responsibility for the safety of those that live in the proximity.

I'm not in your position so I'm trying to comment on how I would probably handle it. If I was taking out the garbage and a ricochet occurred as did with you. I would of spoken to him about that specifically. And segway into generaal safety for all. Before I would call the deputies.

People forget about the power of polite conversation (attempt of) to many today want to react to it as conflict. Maybe I could offer to help him make a sand trap to catch his bullets? Who knows.....

If that failed baddly, then I would become the neighbor from hell after that.
Old December 21, 2011, 12:30 PM   #31
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I might have missed it but I don't think so.... it sure would be helpful to know what state this is happening in....
Old December 21, 2011, 01:10 PM   #32
ripnbst

I am not one to take kindly to the "sue happy" but, if you've tried time and time again and have record of contacting local law enforcement and they choose to do nothing and your property does finally get damaged or god forbid, someone gets damaged. I'd imagine you will have legal recourse and at the very least probably be able to get the local laws changed in your area as they are clearly not up to snuff.

I don't think I agree with buying this A-hole a Christmas present, be it range time, frangible ammo, or otherwise. It's way beyond that after he cursed at you for saying "Hey, there are people over here."
Old December 21, 2011, 02:35 PM   #33
scpapa

I would thing the firing would violate some kind of noise ordinance. Approach the P.D. on that angle.

Rick
Member IALEFI, SCLEOA
Old December 29, 2011, 05:40 PM   #34
langenc

Tell him you hope he has LOTS of money cause you dont like his house which you will own when someone is injuried from the shooting.
Old December 29, 2011, 07:01 PM   #35
kilimanjaro

If you and your neighbors are concerned for their safety, as an objective concern, then he's shooting illegally in most states, rural or not. Check out the law online yourself, then talk to the prosecuting attorney, and get back to us.
Old December 29, 2011, 07:19 PM   #36
shortwave

posted by Aguila Blanca:

Quote:
Two Words:

VIDEO

CAMERA
^^^This!^^^

I'd take a witness for a genuine, friendly conversation with the guy. Although he should know better, maybe he thinks all that pretty sod in his yard is laying upon nothing but feet of pure pulverized topsoil instead of rocks ,debris and backfill that many new housing developments are graded with.

If you're met with an attitude...

I'd video his actions and hand deliver(with witness) a copy of the vid. to the sheriff himself explaining the events that have happened including the fact that LEO's have been out there(include dates) telling you/neighbors nothing can be done. Explaining someones going to get shot by a ricochet.

It's hard to believe that when LE was out there and saw what you're explaining that they didn't at least go speak with him.