The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 17, 2009, 07:56 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Long range reloading help for a long range newbie

so... I'm getting back into reloading after a several year break, so I'm still a bit "rusty", but I currently / have in the past reloaded for almost 40 different cartridges... most are Contender reloads, but also several rifle & handgun... but I'm building my 1st long range rifle, & am looking to tighten things up a bit from my best 300 yard reloads for this long range project...

the rifle is a custom built 6.5 X 285 built on a 20 year old ( nearly unfired ) BRNO ZKK 600 action...

I have not reloaded for 6.5 X 284 before, & plan on shooting 300 yards to test reciepes, & informally bench shoot between 600 & 1200 yards... I've bought Lapua brass, & Scenar moly 138 grain bullets... the rifle is ready to final chamber, & I'm a bit stuck on what I really need for dies... I've read quite a few articals on the 6.5 X 284, alot of them old enough that they were using brass with large primer pockets... my new Lapua brass uses small rifle primers, & I figure small rifle magnum primers... but I've yet to read anything that specifically recommends a set of loading dies...

anyone load "long range" & care to help a long range newbie sort out the loading equipment needed to transition from a tolorable 300 yard loader to a tolorable 1200 yard loader ??? I could use your help... thanks
Old March 17, 2009, 08:58 AM   #2
kraigwy

Loading for long range isnt a whole lot differant then loading for short range.

Consistancy is the key. Consistancy is accuracy.

I do my testing on the 300 yard rapid fire targets. At 200 you can pretty much slope anything in. At 600 & 1000 your testing your wind (mirage) judging abilities. 300 yards works best for me. (I dont shoot from the bench, I use the slung unsuported position authorized in HP.

If a gun/ammo combination cant shoot at 300 it wont shoot at 1000 yards.

And I dont believe fast is accuracy, it might or might not. I keep my 308s about 2550 (standard military 308 match loadings). I tried to go faster but it didnt work out.

Take your best 300 loadings and try them at 1000, I think you'll find they'll work our pretty good.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 17, 2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

well as far as dies, I decided to try the Hornady Dies, they are ordered...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=117913

my local mentor was telling me I need a floating in-line sleeve design to stabilize bullets during seating., which the Hornady die has... the only other die similar ( at least that I could tell from reading ) was the RCBS Benchrest Micrometer die, & it was 4 times the price of the Hornady, so hopefully the Hornady will be good enough to get me started...

we are going to make up our own trim die using my chamber reamer...

still open to any suggestions
Old March 17, 2009, 01:14 PM   #4
bigbird34

F-Class

If your gonna shoot 300 to 1000 yards you need to talk to the "F-Class" shooters that normaly shoot 600 yards....I have a fellow here locally that builds custom 6mm-284's and has won some F class competition ......the triggers are real light(in ounces) and the gun weighs 22 pounds .....for starts ,if memory served me right he had RCBS dies.....but Forster Benchrest dies,would be worth looking into for starters ....Good Luck ,BB34