The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 13, 2008, 02:00 PM   #1
jaymag

Scope for thomson renagade?

My freind wants to mount a scope on an old thoson renagade.They used to sell a mount made by thompson,then just drill and tap holes.Does anyone have any ideas.He really wants to keep this gun.Or does anyone have old mount for sale??
Old December 13, 2008, 05:21 PM   #2
Pahoo

Well, I have a scope base with rings for a TC Hawken Model. I will never mount it as the Ghosts of the "Free Trappers" would come come and take my top knot. I will have to look at an old catalog to see if it will mount to the Renegade and I don't see why it would not. I do know that many barrels were drilled and tapped to accept this base. One of the holes was on top of the tang and you might check yours. Will get back to Y'all ..

Be Safe !!!
Old December 13, 2008, 10:27 PM   #3
jaymag

It's just barrel?Pahoo!!!

I don,t really understand,It,s just the octigon shaped barell.you WOULD be mountig on THE BARREL.So just have a gunsmith drill and tap holes?
Old December 14, 2008, 12:19 AM   #4
arcticap

Dixie sells the no gunsmithing Quic-kee mount in 2 sizes. It's off-set to not interfer with the hammer and is held in place by magnets, 3 clamping screws and a velcro strap.

Here's the 1 inch version to fit the Renegade:

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=7613

And for 15/16" barrels:

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=7612
Old December 14, 2008, 10:47 AM   #5
hillbille

they sell a quick connect mount that uses pins to realine the barrell, this comes in real handy when you go to clean the barrell, if you are using the old hot water method in a pan, you don't want the scope to be submerged in the water with the end of the barrell, I had one on a renegade I just sold, it was also offset so it would clear the hammer, I think they used to of the holes from the rear sight and only had to drill 2 new ones, this will also void the lifetime warrenty on the barrell unless you have thompson do it. just a few things to think about. If it shoots good and he has had it a while he will probubly never use the waranty anyway.
Old December 14, 2008, 11:47 AM   #6
Pahoo

Quote:
It's just barrel?Pahoo!!!
Pretty much. However, back then B.I.L. (before in-lines) some of TC's side locks came out with 1:48 and barrels drilled and tapped to accept their scope base. The same one you mentioned in your initial post and the same one that I have. Your buddie's model may already be drilled and tapped and you won't have to bother with a smith. Not a big deal, just trying to help you with your problem.

Be Safe !!!