The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old February 20, 2013, 10:43 PM   #1
rc

Joe Biden Thinks 2 shots is enough

I don't know how many of you may have seen Joe's comments recently but he asserted that you don't need and AR because all you "need" is a double barreled shotgun. Go out on your porch and shoot a couple of shots in the air and your problem will majically go away...... This just goes to show what the attitude of the current administration is towards gun owners...
Old February 20, 2013, 10:49 PM   #2
Grizz12

you miss the point - he said a shotgun is better than a AW because it does more damage... SO WHY BAN AW's AND NOT SHOTGUNS!!!
Old February 20, 2013, 11:48 PM   #3
Mezzanine

"Sporting purposes" is why shotguns are off the table for the most part, at least thats how i take it. The old what are you hunting with 30 rounds debate... Given youll put more projectiles down range with a mag tube full of 00 buck, some people dont listen to logic.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:10 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

I heard the clip several times today on am radio. And, once again, good ol' Joe doesn't quite finish one thought before he says another in his folksy way...

I'm sure you can find it on the web, but in a nutshell, he describes his advice to his wife, in case of trouble, to fire a couple blasts, the problem will be solved! And, in his wife, or his case, I'm sure it would be. A couple of 12ga blasts ought to alert his Secret Service protection detail (for which he bills the govt for the room they take up on his property...or so I've heard).

Nobody needs 30 rounds to defend themselves, he passionately states. He conviently fails to mention the people protecting HIM and his family have 30 round magazines. And machineguns.....

Recently he said that, in regard to prosecuting prohibited people who break the law by attempting to purchase a firearm, "We don't have time for that.."

With his public statements to go by, its a true wonder a man with such a grasp of reality is only where he is today....
Old February 21, 2013, 12:18 AM   #5
Tickling

+1 on what 44 AMP said.

Here's the clip if anyone's interested: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...-buy-a-shotgun

It's just your typical "reach across the aisle," "see how reasonable we are" doublespeak.

Oh and you can vote on the bottom of the article, whether you think he's right/wrong.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:24 AM   #6
BigEglockman

He's supposed to be a intelligent, responsible head of our wonderful country. How someone so smart could suggest such a crazy act to deter a threat. And we are the crazy, gun wielding citizens. What a joke. How am I to take the heads of this country serious.
Old February 21, 2013, 01:15 AM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
This just goes to show what the attitude of the current administration is towards gun owners.
It also shows the condescending and willfully ignorant attitude that antis have towards women.

You don't need a gun, little lady. They're hard to use, and everyone knows women aren't good with complex machines. Yeah, I know we've got women engineers and women physicists, even women astronauts. Whatever. Guns are hard, and they're for the boys. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. You don't need 30-round clips.

You get a whistle. Or even better, a call box.

What? You still insist on having a gun? What is it with you? Fine. Here's a shotgun. It's easy to use, and you don't even have to aim it. Good for women. That's what my buddy told me, and he knew a cop once.

Don't worry about practicing with it. Just aim it in the bad guy's general direction and start blasting away. Even better, just point it upwards and crank off a couple of rounds. I'm pretty sure there's no law against that.

Pretty sure.
Old February 21, 2013, 01:42 AM   #8
tyme
Staff

In a fair world, Biden would be impeached. I don't say that lightly. Encouraging people to step onto their front porch -- he says balcony -- and fire shotgun blasts as warning shots to scare an intruder away is so irresponsible (not to mention tactically unsound) that under any "reasonable" firearms safety test, Biden would be barred from owning guns.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old February 21, 2013, 02:13 AM   #9
pax

Tom Servo,

If and when we ever meet face to face, the beer's on me. That was beautiful.

pax
Old February 21, 2013, 11:57 AM   #10
HarrySchell

I know there are laws in CA about firing into the air.

Turns out there are laws around Joey B's place, too.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...88381481237582

"Felony aggravated menacing, reckless endangering charges could result from shooting gun in air..."

Turns out there is a school within range of his house if the arm was firing 00 or slugs at the right angle and direction.

I find it hilarious that feminists and progressives ignore Biden's disrespect of women and their capability to handle firearms and Bob Beckel's comment about college rape ("...when was the last time you read about one?"). They resent having their noses rubbed in this buffoonery, even. Sigh.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:06 PM   #11
Glenn E. Meyer

Great link - thanks.

Biden assumes that women can't aim an AR and you can't miss with a shotgun. Why he should open up a shooting school when he retires!

The interesting point as brought up revolves around the views of women and self-defense. There's a fairly large literature on it and it's clear that strong women are not valued by some. A brief little summary by me from somewhere else:

Quote:
Basically, women are supposed to passive and feminine. An attractive woman cannot be a heroine. Attackers of attractive women get lesser sentences. If you resist strongly, your attacker gets a lesser sentence. Heavier women are not believed as being raped as they should have able to fight off the male. All found the in the violence against women analyses of cliches and rape myths.

So you are not a true 'woman' if you fight actively. Thus, this old advice fights into the early rape defense views of passivity. Recently, the Washington Post had a column by a women denouncing Gayle Trotter for her use of a firearm to defend herself - she was said not to be a real women but Gabby Giffords was a real woman as she was a victim of gun violence.

Note, this is not an attack on Rep. Giffords by me, it is from the article that said that. Giffords was passive as women are supposed to be. There are notable critiques out on the gun mfgs. selling products aimed at women. It harks back to MS magazine articles denouncing guns as a male paradigm and critiquing the old SW Ladysmith 3rd gen guns and revolvers of that period, Anyway, I wish I had a 3913LS, they were nice and I missed a good one on sale by being broke.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:17 PM   #12
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Aw come on guys, 'Buckshot Joe' wouldn't lie to us. Go outside, empty your gun and don't bother reloading because the boogerman will be booking it to far places as fast as he or they can get there.

Now about that little niggling problem of all that shot coming down. Maybe we can mandate the manufacturers to equip every shot with a little parachute so they won't hurt anybody as it descends.

Of course if loud noises will scare the bad people we wouldn't even need shot in the shell, a little talcum powder or corn meal or rice flour. It would be good for the environment because it's biodegradable and it would smell nice.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 21, 2013, 12:57 PM   #13
JimDandy

Quote:
I'm sure you can find it on the web, but in a nutshell, he describes his advice to his wife, in case of trouble, to fire a couple blasts, the problem will be solved!
That's right. For her anyway. She'll now be disarmed, as her shotgun will be empty, she'll have fired at no real point of aim and no defined backstop. The problem for her neighbor that gets hit by falling buckshot is probably not over. The problem for that home invader that now gets to steal an unloaded double barreled shotgun could be over... The problems for the Secret Service agent that just shot the Second Lady Of The United States because he thought she was trying to shoot Uncle Joe in a domestic violence spat may be just starting...
Old February 21, 2013, 01:11 PM   #14
terzmo

2 shots

Let him live in any inner city with the word on the street there is $$$$$$$$$$$$ and see if he's comfortable with 2 shots. They start telling US what we need and should have....where does it end ?
Old February 21, 2013, 01:50 PM   #15
JWT

Somehow the thought of Biden behind a double barrel is about as believable as Obama trap shooting.
Old February 21, 2013, 01:51 PM   #16
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer
The interesting point as brought up revolves around the views of women and self-defense. There's a fairly large literature on it and it's clear that strong women are not valued by very threatening to some.
Fixed it for ya, Glenn.
Old February 21, 2013, 02:06 PM   #17
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Ol' Slo' Joe (no relation to the 1%er biker with the same nick name) forgot to mention that your little fare lass won't likely have to pull the trigger...

Just the sound of her cycling the action on that ol' double gun will turn the spine of any would be home invader to mush and he will ooze right off the property...

Brent
Old February 21, 2013, 02:14 PM   #18
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Just the sound of her cycling the action on that ol' double gun will turn the spine of any would be home invader to mush and he will ooze right off the property...
Say what??? Cycle the action???
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 21, 2013, 02:21 PM   #19
Spats McGee
Staff

Perhaps Joe needs to go hunting with Dick Cheney.
Old February 21, 2013, 02:23 PM   #20
Rainbow Demon

Must be one of those pump action double barrels like the one Moe keeps behind the bar on the Simpsons.
That or one of the custom dual 870 shotguns in one stock some have called walking thunder.

He probably thinks a tube magazine of a pump gun is a second barrel.
Old February 21, 2013, 02:26 PM   #21
JimDandy

Just did a little photoshop magic for those of you less than entertained by Biden's suggestion women can't handle a rifle and should instead get a double barreled shotgun...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Biden Plan for Women in Combat.jpg (193.2 KB, 98 views)
Old February 21, 2013, 02:52 PM   #22
Tinner666

I just watched Biden tell us to do something highly illegal when threatened. Take a shotgun and fire two shots into the air to scare thugs. I thought he knew law???? Waving a firearm is brandishing, a punishable crime! Firing it into the air to intimidate is another punishable crime! What the heck is that all about? A way to identify honest citizens, criminalize them and get us off the streets so the thugs have complete control? Firing shot before the possible threat is even positively identified as a threat? Just shooting because of a sound? WTH???
Will telling the police about Biden telling me to break the law get me off?
Old February 21, 2013, 03:11 PM   #23
madmag

I think it should be noted that the primary weapons in the Columbine shooting were 12ga. shotguns. One of those shotguns was a sawed-off double barrel.
Old February 21, 2013, 03:28 PM   #24
Glenn E. Meyer

Talked to a guy who isn't into the gun world and bought what Joe said.

He isn't going to take our guns and yes - you don't have to aim a shotgun.

Had a nice chat on what was really up.
Old February 21, 2013, 03:34 PM   #25
KBP

shotgun Biden

Shotguns seem to be the preferred weapon of choice for Vice-presidents. Cheney shot his friend with one so Biden thinks shotguns must be the only solution. Personally, I think firing ANY FIREARM up into the air is a very dangerous practice, against the law in many places and very stupid anywhere! Do you think the local police will be OK with this if you said you were following Joe Bidens advice?
Closed Thread