The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 5, 2013, 09:23 PM   #26
Mtn Biker

Quote:
Over the years I have seen many opinions from "experts" on forums......
So is that your opinion?

LOL! Just kidding!

VL
Old January 5, 2013, 09:44 PM   #27
Ruark

Yes, yes, yes. Remember at all times: on the internet, everybody is an "expert."
Old January 5, 2013, 10:12 PM   #28
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
we all know that most people who use them will spontaneously combust as a result of their use and the incorrect geometry they produce has been linked to various Ebola outbreaks.
Actually, the Ebola thing was a total myth. The real issue was spontaneous tail growth. I know, because I'm a SPECOPS undercover astronaut cowboy. We get briefed on this stuff.

The internet has given everyone the license to be an expert, and it's odd that I find myself contradicting expert advice from it on a daily basis.
Old January 5, 2013, 10:27 PM   #29
tahunua001

Quote:
I know, because I'm a SPECOPS undercover astronaut cowboy. We get briefed on this stuff.
as a Major in the Navy seals, I can speak from first hand knowledge that you have not received any such briefing as SPECOPS, undercover, astronaut, cowboys are required to gather all their intel in the field
Old January 5, 2013, 10:28 PM   #30
Joe_Pike

Quote:
I'm a SPECOPS undercover astronaut cowboy.
I'm real interested in what that uniform looks like.
Old January 5, 2013, 10:57 PM   #31
tahunua001

^^^exactly what it sounds like

camo spacesuit with cowboy hat optional for dress occasions.
Old January 5, 2013, 11:27 PM   #32
Tom Servo
Staff

We don't do uniforms. We're covert professionals, specializing in Reliable Entry Tactics and Rapid Deployment. We use H&K products because we are mighty, and because the burden to the taxpayer is the greatest.
Old January 5, 2013, 11:35 PM   #33
Joe_Pike

And no mention of HK in a tongue in cheek response can get by without an homage to Correia.

Last edited by Joe_Pike; January 6, 2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old January 5, 2013, 11:56 PM   #34
Tom Servo
Staff

Correia is a great American who speaks the hard truths. I could do with less of the sappy romance in his books, though. Real tactical operators only need each other.
Old January 6, 2013, 12:31 AM   #35
Dan31

That line about everyone being an expert online is sooo true. I'm on the 67-72 chevy truck forums and there are a few of those "experts" there that no matter what you know your always wrong. Its like the gun I just purchased today, its a brand X and it seems that one person who had nothing but problems with his not only posted all these rants about how bad it is on one site decided to basically post the same review on at least four other forums. I have never talked trash about one gun or another because there really is no good reason to do so. Honestly I think those that hate this brand or that brand are usually a bunch of kids or are from this new generation that "expect everything" no matter what.
Old January 6, 2013, 12:34 AM   #36
9mm

Quote:
Of course you have Sig and S&W who use external extractors and we all know that most people who use them will spontaneously combust as a result of their use and the incorrect geometry they produce has been linked to various Ebola outbreaks.

And that is why I didn't buy an 1911 with xternal extractor. I am glad I didn't.
Old January 6, 2013, 10:57 AM   #37
IrishBluEyes51

Say my gun is cheap, call it plastic or Tupperware, but pleassssssssssssssssssssseeeee don't call my baby ugly.
Old January 6, 2013, 12:03 PM   #38
jglsprings

Quote:
Tom Servo

Actually, the Ebola thing was a total myth. The real issue was spontaneous tail growth. I know, because I'm a SPECOPS undercover astronaut cowboy. We get briefed on this stuff.

The internet has given everyone the license to be an expert, and it's odd that I find myself contradicting expert advice from it on a daily basis.
Okay Servo - you owe me a new keyboard. I just shot coffee out my nose and ruined mine! Timing is everything in comedy and you have mastered the internet form.

Quckly followed by...

Quote:
Tom Servo
Staff

Correia is a great American who speaks the hard truths. I could do with less of the sappy romance in his books, though. Real tactical operators only need each other.
Now that's twice...

Commas save lives...
Old January 6, 2013, 03:10 PM   #39
SPEMack618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
See Tom, being a counter jockey, like a pog operator, this is where you get confused, real operators, such as myself, need a steady diet of sorority girls and Mountain Dew to operator at peak tactical proficiency.
Old January 6, 2013, 08:32 PM   #40
Tom Servo
Staff

I disapprove of my words being taken out of context. I did not mean to imply that the men engage in any inappropriate snuggling. We are men's men. Real men, like the cop from the Village People...that's us.

When the balloon drops, we'll be the ones taking charge and looking fabulous.
Old January 6, 2013, 09:09 PM   #41
Willie D

RE: MK 23

I actually had someone use the "It's an offensive handgun, dummy!" line on me when I suggested a USP or any smaller pistol could do the job equally well.

Right off the bat I disregard all the truly awful advice or blatant boosting of mediocre guns everyone seems to own (cough10/22cough). The main thing I try to be aware of is that other people's needs, likes, and abilities are different - and filtering that info from their posts is essential for getting the best advice as it pertains to you.

I used to spend a lot of time on guitar forums and there was a lot of talking past each other on things that were purely a matter of taste.

"I want to sound like Eddie Van Halen."
"You should get this sweet rig that sounds like SRV!"

I like garage rock. Point being, there is a wealth of great information on these forums but you need take that info and process it so that it is useful to YOU.
Old January 6, 2013, 09:11 PM   #42
9mm

Quote:
Tom Servo

New sig.
Old January 6, 2013, 09:27 PM   #43
Sarge

Here's my take on it. JoeBlow82 gets in a gun forum and asks about a particular gun. SixPackSam actually owns or owned one that he had problems with, so he explains them and feels like he did the other guy a favor by helping him avoid trouble. A third party chimes in, says he owned that model and he had no trouble at all with it.

If that's as far as it went, the free exchange of info has served its purpose. Often however, the H8trz & Fanboiz fire up and a lot of pointless arguing obscures any useful information, positive or negative, that surfaced. If the thread continues in a smoking tailspin, mods step in and kill it.

As they should- it's that old Signal to Noise thing. Despite their best efforts, you still need thick skin and a really good BS filter to glean useful information from internet discussions. If you don't have them, you might as well be riding a tricycle down the Information Super-Highway during rush hour.

Last edited by Sarge; January 6, 2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old January 6, 2013, 09:27 PM   #44
SauerGrapes

We have to argue about guns. What else is there? Facebook?

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old January 6, 2013, 11:36 PM   #45
outlawzrider83

a guy i work with has never owned a gun in his life , but he plays modern warfare 3...so when the panic struck the other day he looked up gun stores and called to se if they had any mark 14's. because thats the most accurate versitile assault rifle there is...lmfao....true story
Old January 6, 2013, 11:46 PM   #46
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
a guy i work with has never owned a gun in his life , but he plays modern warfare 3
That's the dorkus who called me four times Saturday asking about rifles that were a) out of stock, or b) illegal for civilians. Who the heck expects to find a FAMAS at retail?

That, or there's more than one person doing this.
Old January 7, 2013, 12:25 AM   #47
Venom1956

Quote:
That's the dorkus who called me four times Saturday asking about rifles that were a) out of stock, or b) illegal for civilians. Who the heck expects to find a FAMAS at retail?

That, or there's more than one person doing this.
Lol.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old January 7, 2013, 12:43 AM   #48
egor20

Quote:
Who the heck expects to find a FAMAS at retail?
I had to look it up to see if it was the gun I thought, it was.

One of the links amused me though..

The FAMAS is a bullpup assault rifle featured in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops and Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified.

The FAMAS is found in several levels throughout the campaign, often used by Ultranationalists or Russian Military.
http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/FAMAS

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old January 7, 2013, 01:28 AM   #49
RBid

Call of Duty suffers from its success. With so many millions of people playing, the small % of idiots translates to a large number. What is often overlooked is the number of guys who play CoD who are LEO, military, or otherwise very familiar with real firearms.

I have experienced what Tom referenced, but where I'm at, the Airsoft operators are a bigger strain on my sanity.
Old January 7, 2013, 07:09 AM   #50
foxytwo

Jedi has hit the nail on the head. Gun bashing has evolved into an art. I like to have other people's honest opinions on guns, but not their bashing of brands they don't like.