The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 11, 2011, 04:50 PM   #1
Prospero

Starting my Reloading Library, suggestions please

Hello TFL members,

New here and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm fairly new to firearms in general and reloading specifically. Got started two years ago when I inherited a Browning Nomad from my grandfather. Thats when it all began...and boy am I having fun. I've decided to get into reloading, I think brewing my own beer has somehow transmuted into wanting to cook up something else. I've realized that I learn best by reading (hopefully with pictues) then watching, then doing. I think that something with so much potential for "problems" should be entered into carefully, so I'm wondering what books other members have found to be useful. I got an Amazon gift card for my birthday so I'm starting with:

1. The ABC's of Reloading
2. Lee 2nd Edition Reloading Manual
3. Lyman Reloading Manual 49th
4. Hornady Reloading Handbook 8th Edition

I realize some information may be repeated, but I like to read things from different points of view and in a different style. It should be added that I compiled this list from information gleaned from this forum, so thanks to everyone that has posted on previous threads. To start with I'll be loading .44 mag, both semi wad cutters for paper punching and some regular rounds. Just curious if there's any caliber specific books that can be helpful. Thanks again to everyone
Old September 11, 2011, 05:10 PM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

The Lyman Pistol and Revolver 3rd Edition is a good one. It has a section dedicated to casting lead, as well as a section dedicated to the TC Encore pistols.

The Nostler reloading guide is a great one too. So far every time I have loaded with thier recomended most accurate powder for a particular weight of bullet per caliber, they were spot on. Maybe off by a couple of tenths of a grain for charge, but close enough.

Also If you are going for more than one caliber the one for all load books are a great quick referance.
Old September 11, 2011, 05:47 PM   #3
oneounceload

Sierra has very good ballistic data and I like the Speer one as well - in addition to the others mentioned
Old September 11, 2011, 10:56 PM   #4
Jim243

If you use a companies bullet, buy their book, Nosler for Noslers, Speer for Speer, Honady for their bullets. 90 % of what I buy is Honady bullets so the Hornady Handbook of Cartrdge Reloading is my primary reference, but I do use Lyamn's 49th often to check loads.

When in doubt go to the powder mfgs web-site, Hogdgon's is and excelent source of information. I also buy their annual paperback reloading book, it covers IMR, Winchester as well as Hogdgon powder.

Jim
Old September 13, 2011, 12:27 AM   #5
Ideal Tool

Hello, Prospero. Since you said your new..You can do no better than try to find an original or Wolfe Publishing re-print of Phill Sharpes Complete Guide To Handloading..The latest printing was 1947..but some the basics don't change..there is a wealth of information there..some powders and components are obsolete..but what other books out there have whole chapters on powder manufacture..both black & smokeless?, Bullet casting,sizing & lubing etc. Another good read is Principles And Practices of Handloading by Mathern..reprints from Wolfe are not too expensive.
After reading these , you will have a solid foundation and be 98% ahead
of most reloaders.
Old September 13, 2011, 12:52 AM   #6
NWPilgrim

Those are great manuals to start with. as mentioned, always check the powder manufacturers' websites, too (they're free). IF you are getting Lyman, Lee or Hornady reloading equipment then you are good for a start. If you plan to get RCBS equipment then get the Speer manual. The Lyman manual is excellent not only for reloading process but also for lead bullet data.

When you read the manuals be aware that much of the case prep instructions is mostly relevant to just rifle cartridges. If you get carbide sizing dies then you do not need to lube the straightwall handgun cases. you do not need to trim them either. Since handguns are normally fired 25 yds or so and not off a bench the accuracy is no where near as critical as for rifle: so no need to uniform primer flash holes, etc.

Case inspection is also a lot less critical. In rifles you could have catastrophic case head separation because as the cases lengthen they get thinner in the case wall just above the case head. Handgun cartridges will usually crack or split at the case mouth which not dangerous and you just toss them out.

Welcome to reloading and looks like you are starting smart. Good luck and enjoy a great hobby.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old September 13, 2011, 07:50 AM   #7
Locoweed

Over my 40 years of handloading I've probably used the Speer manual the most. The 14th edition is now on the bookshelves and goes over 1,000 pages.
Old September 13, 2011, 10:28 AM   #8
MGMorden

With the 4 books you have listed you're in pretty good shape.

I started it with the Speer manual and it is generally fine. I have since acquired the Lee manual and Lyman's Cast Bullet handbook. I've also browsed through Hornady's manual and REALLY like the way their data is laid out as well.
Old September 13, 2011, 09:30 PM   #9
Kevin Rohrer

Find a copy of Ken Waters' Pet Loads. It's the first book I look at when investigating a new caliber.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old September 14, 2011, 09:31 AM   #10
Kyce

Been reloading 9mm and .45 auto for only about a year now and you have exactly what I currently have and it serves me very well. I also have the Hodgdons annual and it is helpful. Sounds like I am going to have to pick up the Speer manual now too. I check the websites a lot too. Be safe!
Old September 14, 2011, 05:31 PM   #11
federali

Too much reloading information is never enough.

I find the reloading manuals from the 1960s to be especially valuable as loads generally were not as conservative as they are today.

Another valuable source of loading data are the many magazine articles published over the years in which the author develops loads for this or that. I always clipped reloading data from these magazine articles for all cartridges I reload for or am likely to reload for. I mounted them on looseleaf paper and installed them in a binder. After nearly 50 years of doing this, my personal binder rivals many published loading manuals.

Also, don't forget Steve's reloading pages on the net. Lots of good info here.
Old September 14, 2011, 06:20 PM   #12
dickttx

For background and history Principles & Practices of Loading Ammunition, by Earl Naramore and P.O. Ackley's two volume set, Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders.
Old September 14, 2011, 06:22 PM   #13
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I do believe you are good to go for a while . Once you digest the books that you have , you will be making informed decisions on what to purchase afterwards ! Rule # 1 on Manuals is , never throw one away , there's data in them that may not be repeated in later editions ! You are getting into a fine hobby that has provided me with countless hours of enjoyment over the past 46 years . Be safe and cross reference !
Old September 14, 2011, 09:39 PM   #14
TXGunNut

Off to a great start. I always check the last three on any new load, often older editions as well. I like Waters as well, but mostly for background.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old September 15, 2011, 12:47 AM   #15
Prospero

Hey Everybody,

I would like to thank everybody for their posts and suggestions. Its really awesome to see people helping out the new guy, after all we all started somewhere. It looks like the reloading library is going to be growing a bit larger than I expected . I would like to thank everybody again for their input, and have a great day, I've got some reading to do.
Old September 15, 2011, 07:29 AM   #16
Uncle Buck

In addition to the books, I also have a recipe card box fill with the loads I use. On the card it tells me where I got the information, load info and how I liked it.

A friend of mine uses a binder, like the kids use in school, to maintain his info on.
Old September 15, 2011, 07:48 AM   #17
steveno

P.O. Ackley's reloading manuals (2 volumes) are good to have.