The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 4, 2010, 06:56 PM   #1
camphost1

need info on shotgun

I have a 1949 20ga.sportsmen semi auto camelback remington browing shotgun its in great shape 1 owner for 45 years then my mom gave it to me.
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE VALUE OF THIS GUN IS.
it has 2 sets of numbers one from remington and one from browing all i could find out was when browing left remington he took 60000 of these shotguns with him and then there was a fire and all the records were were burned

Last edited by camphost1; October 4, 2010 at 10:50 PM. Reason: more info
Old October 5, 2010, 12:11 AM   #2
zippy13

Greetings camphost1, and welcome aboard,

The Browning Auto-5 and Remington Model-11 automatics are essentially the same gun. The the original Browning A-5 production was moved to the FN works in Belgium (until the Nazis took over during WW II) and Remington made their Model-11 under a Browning license. Browning contracted with Remington to produce A-5s during the war. This explains why a Browning Auto-5 may have Remington markings. And, Remington Model 11s may have a Browning reference mark for the license agreement.

Remington stopped making their Model-11 in 1947. The new Model 11-48 came out the following year. A-5 production returned to FN in 1952 and eventually moved to Japan (1975). John M. Browning would have had some trouble taking any shotguns away since he'd be dead since 1926.

I'm curious, you mentioned that your gun is a "1949 20ga.sportsmen semi auto camelback remington browing shotgun" - any 1949 Remington autos would be a smooth back Model 11-48 -- where did you get the year info? Introduced around 1931, The Sportsman was a 3-shot version of the 5-shot Model-11.

Your gun is worth what someone will give you. If curious, check your local gun shops -- prices vary by region. Or, see a web-based gun auction site for recent Auto-5/Model-11/Sportsman activity.

Last edited by zippy13; October 5, 2010 at 12:46 AM.