The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 7, 2010, 09:35 AM   #1
Casimer

Shooting the Femaru 37

Has anyone shot one of these?

If so, how was the trigger?

Also what is the sight picture w/ these pistols?
They have a relatively thin rear sight, and the front sight appears to have wings.
Old April 7, 2010, 03:55 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Yes, I have fired one. The trigger is heavy but breaks cleanly so reasonable accuracy is possible. As for "feel", it is a .32 pocket pistol, the same as dozens of others. The hammer spur is small and the hammer is hard to cock, but the safety is easy to use, so it appears reasonably safe to carry "cocked and locked.". The guns are well made, even the late ones, and rugged.

As to the front sight, it is dovetailed into the slide and the dovetail of the sight extends beyond the slide slot, so maybe that is what you mean by "wings". There are no sight guards or anything like that. The sight picture is poor, but no more so than many other small pistols of the era.

Jim
Old April 7, 2010, 08:08 PM   #3
Casimer

Thanks Jim.

Do you know whether these are convertible between 32 and 380 simply by a barrel change? - that's something that I've been told.
Old April 10, 2010, 11:12 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have also read that, but mine is in .32 (German contract) and I have no .380 barrel so I can't try the swap. The magazine does accept .380 and it looks like it would feed OK.

The pistol as made for the Hungarian army was in .380 ACP (9mm Short), but the German contract guns were in .32 ACP (7.65mm Browning) because 9mm Short was not in the German police/military supply system.

(One writer says those were made "under German occupation" but that is not quite correct. Hungary was an ally of Gemany up until March 1944, when Hitler, suspicious of Hungarian secret dealings with the western allies, ordered the Wehrmacht to occupy the country, treating it as a conquered nation.)

Jim

Last edited by James K; April 10, 2010 at 11:22 PM.