The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 31, 2000, 01:13 PM   #1
NemoCaufield

I just ordered a Speedfeed IV-S pistol grip full stock combo for my Mossberg 590A1. What is everyone's opinion on these? I know operating the safety is going to be annoying to say the least but how about operation and firing? Should I stick to the conventional stock or does the pistol grip/full stock offer alot of advantages? What's your take on this?

[This message has been edited by NemoCaufield (edited May 31, 2000).]
Old June 1, 2000, 05:32 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Nemo, the standard stock works fine, and I see little advantage to the PG full stock.
Old June 1, 2000, 08:34 AM   #3
Shawn Dodson

I prefer PG full stocks for indoor movements. The angle of the pistol grip reduces strain on the firing hand wrist while maneuvering extensively in an indoor ready position.

I also frequently manuever in an underarm assault position and I find the pistol grip stock to be easier on the wrist here too. I index the long gun's pistol grip (well, actually my thumb) against my pectoral muscle just like I do with a handgun in a retention position. If necessary can shoot from this position, but I prefer to mount it to my shoulder. I can transition from underarm assault to shoulder mount as quickly as I can engage a target from indoor ready.

I see no other advantages to a PG full stock, but that doesn't mean someone else might know more than me.

I wouldn't recommend a PG full stock for a Mossberg due to the location of the safety as you describe.

With a Speedfeed stock, you'll have to rotate your ammo through the stowage compartments frequently. For some reason, Speedfeed stocks tend to damage the rim of the crimp. I have a standard Speedfeed stock on my 870 along with a 6 shotshell sidesaddle. Rough handling can cause cartridges to fall out of the stowage compartments (e.g., slamming the butt into the ground to clear the action).

------------------
/s/ Shawn Dodson
Firearms Tactical Institute
http://www.firearmstactical.com

Old June 1, 2000, 12:59 PM   #4
MB0R0MAN

I have a choate PG/top folding stock, this works very well for me since I get the best of both worlds. When I need it I have the shortened length of a PG, and when needed a full stock to shoulder all with the press of a button. I feel much more comfortable with a pistol gripped shotgun because I feel it gives me more control. Weapon retention is another consideration.
Old June 1, 2000, 01:37 PM   #5
zip

I have never had any problem with getting to the safety on my 500 i just reach up with my thumb push forward and bring my thumb back down to the grip the safty is the same place on the 590? only problems i have with the full stock pg on my gun is the slide relese which isnt a problem scince the relese has not worked scince i got the thing 5 years ago

------------------
oneshotonekill
Old June 7, 2000, 12:34 PM   #6
posigian

NemoCaufield,

Just weeks ago I replaced the stock on my Win. 1300 with a Chote Mark5 PG/full stock found in the Bushmaster catalog!

ITS GREAT!

Like one person said before me...it offers more controll and less fatigue of your wrists when you want to preform close quarters sweeping.

I bought this PG\Stock because I wanted the ease of use of a pg, yet I needed to be able to shoulder the weapon. I dont like folding stocks because they feel too "loose" or sloppy.

The best part...I now shoot slugs at 50 yards better than I ever have before. 10 shots fired, 10 shots on the paper about 1" above the bullseye.

My Win 1300 came with a 26" vented rib barrel that I had cut to 20". I use it for HD, deer, & turkey!

Let us know how it works out for you!

posigian
Old June 9, 2000, 10:15 AM   #7
chiz45

I like it when people order stuff and THEN consult the board for advice! No flame intended Nemo, you sound just like me, the "gotta have it" kinda guy.

I think the advantage of the IV-S particularly is that it is much shorter than the the standard 590A1 stock. I found the factory Mossberg stock to be too long, and ordered the Speedfeed with 4 round storage standard configuration to shorten the length of pull up a bit. The stock turned out to be only 1/2" shorter; better but not quite what i wanted. i would have preferred the full 1" reduction that i think the IV-S provides.

as for the pistol grip, i have never shot one with a pistol grip.

chiz45
Old June 10, 2000, 10:19 PM   #8
AUG

Sorry to the above poster but it is a 100 times easier to take a pistol grip (no shoulder stock) shotgun away from someone than a standard shotgun stock. Actually it is pretty easy disarm most people of a shotgun or rifle because the hold it "movie style". I suggest that anyone who uses a shotgun for self defense to find a book or take a class from Louis Awerbuck. He is the best combat shotgun guy in the world and I promise after taking his class and after he shows some distinct weak points of pistol grip shoulder stocks you will remove them from your guns.
Old June 11, 2000, 12:02 PM   #9
TVDean

oops

[This message has been edited by TVDean (edited June 11, 2000).]
Old June 11, 2000, 12:02 PM   #10
TVDean

Damb.....

Old June 11, 2000, 12:04 PM   #11
TVDean

...light trigger...

Old June 11, 2000, 12:06 PM   #12
TVDean

...pull!

Old June 11, 2000, 12:20 PM   #13
TVDean

I ordered the Speedfeed pistol grip stock for my 590-A1 from Botach last year. I did not like it, I sent it back!

The stock is made (designed) for 870's, Speedfeed decided to market it for Mossberg, bad choice. They need to redesign the damb thing before recommending it for 590's.

If you have installed it yet you'll see what I mean, the trigger is too far away from where the grip is! The neck of the stock is too long for the 590 making the reach to he trigger a far and uncomfortable one.

Unless they've redesigned it, it's trouble.