The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2016, 01:31 PM   #1
stagpanther

First go at reforming 556 for 300 BO

Since I have thousands of spare 5.56 cases I've been amassing for many years my latest AR builds have been variants of necking up or down the basic 5.56 x 45 case--but the 300 BO is my first go at a case OAL cut and neck-up. My first few goes at simply cutting and trimming with home gear kinda sorta worked--but wasn't especially consistent or squared--so I bit the bullet, so to speak, and bought a Litlle Crow trimmer.

For some reason I was dumb enough to think that people actually simply trimming down full-length 5.56 x 45 cases but quickly figured that wouldn't work. Similarly, the cutter (at least mine) won't do any trimming until the trim diameter is the actual neck diameter for the 300 BO.

My solution is pretty simple--start with the 5.56 case and using the cheap Ryobi bench belt sander and grinder combo I simply grind down the case to the base of the shoulder, resize in the 300 die (with decapper removed of course) and then use the Little Crow trimmer to do final case trim. Worked well for me.

These are left-over LC and FC cases which have all been pocket swaged though most of them didn't seem to need it. nosler 125 accubonds driven by W296 between 16 and 17.5 grs.

Old January 6, 2016, 10:42 PM   #2
Sharkbite

Yep. Guys have been using the Harbor freight mini chop saw to cut cases at the shoulder, then running em thru their sizing die.
Old January 7, 2016, 02:16 AM   #3
stagpanther

Thought about going that route--along with buying a jig for holding the cases--but the sander grinder costs about $40 at Home Depot and I already had it sitting around not doing much of anything--and it grinds down the brass very quickly. Some of the brass is pretty darn old and mangey looking--be interesting to see how it fires. : )

I'm going to try and test these puppies today--but we have snow and ice on the ground and it's in the teens not sure I can get through to the range I shoot at. Thanks to your advice I put a "velcro fuzzy" on my shell deflector.