The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 17, 2013, 09:12 AM   #26
TxFlyFish

No to the face. Like taking a high five except to the face, like popping a mentos except to the face
Old February 17, 2013, 09:48 AM   #27
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
The extractor is on the side, and the slide just doesn't go back far enough for the angle between the ejector and slide opening to be enough to throw brass anywhere but up and right....
Glocks aren't really different from other guns when you talk about extractor/ejector function.

A very minor change to the way the FACE of the ejector hits the case as it is extracted -- and that can be modified by angling that ejector's flat face in a number of different ways with a file -- can cause dramatically different results when the spent case is popped loose from the extractor.

The ammo used and the strength of the recoil spring can also be players.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; February 17, 2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old February 17, 2013, 10:02 AM   #28
arch308

I've got a Gen3 G21SF and it tends to eject towards my face with lighter loads. I shoot nothing but reloads and have found that it likes the hotter loads. Limp wristing can cause poor ejection patterns too.
Old February 17, 2013, 10:57 AM   #29
greyeyezz

This has been an ongoing problem for years. Glock screwed up the dimensions on either the slide or frame. Some are fixable, some are not. I would not waste the coin trying to fix what shouldn't be broken sending it back and forth, and wouldn't touch a new Glock with a twenty foot pole.

DGMW, I love my G32 I bought in 08, its flawless. Thank God I bought an entire parts kit for the gun, I can fix anything that breaks except the slide or frame.

My last two 'new' handgun purchases both had to go back to the factory for problems. I kicked both to the curb. I buy only 'at least ten years old' now.

It's a shame the trend in the business world has been to cheapen products to the verge of non-useability while increasing profits to the maximum.

Rant over
Old February 17, 2013, 11:04 AM   #30
SR420

I've been shooting Glock pistols since the mid 80's.
The occasional empty brass hitting the top of my head is acceptable to me.
Old February 17, 2013, 04:33 PM   #31
Daniel r

I have owned a g21 for a LONG time, no probs. but have seen a long BTF thread on another forum. Seems to be more in the gen 4 world with 124 grain in 9 to help. But you might want to check out the Glocktalk forums on BTF
Dan
Old February 17, 2013, 05:00 PM   #32
kutz

It was poisoned.
Old February 17, 2013, 08:55 PM   #33
verdun59

I had a similar with another brand , and I took a file to the ejector and solved the problem. Caution: a little bit at a time will do you right.
Old February 17, 2013, 10:36 PM   #34
pjhorns

My gen 4 19 has over 2,500 rounds through it to date. Zero in my face
Old February 17, 2013, 11:06 PM   #35
Crankgrinder

glock extractors and ejectors are available to swap out so if you take a file to either one, replace it with a new factory part before you send it back if you do, or send it back and then take a file to it if it still does it just dont send one back thats been took a file to. Mine did the same thing for the first 200 rounds after that no problem even with home brew reloads. I have even heard of people going for hundreds of rounds without a hitch and then developing this issue.
Old February 18, 2013, 12:10 PM   #36
jasmith85

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I was talking to a guy at work about it last night and he offered me $550 for the 21 so I sold it. I'm not losing a whole lot and he knows how it ejects and it doesn't bother him so I'm pretty happy with the deal. I'll probably keep the 19 because my fiancee likes it but this experience has completely turned me away from Glocks. Maybe I was just unlucky but I've had a better experience with Taurus than these two Glocks.
Old February 18, 2013, 12:29 PM   #37
SHE3PDOG

This is probably a silly question, but are any of the people having trouble with their GLOCKs left eye dominant? My GLOCK (gen 4 23) just pops brass out over my right shoulder, but I bet if I moved it over a few inches to shoot with my left eye, it might hit my face sometimes.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 18, 2013, 01:17 PM   #38
temmi

My 21 throws brass back at me.

I do not like that

Snake
Old February 18, 2013, 01:28 PM   #39
TunnelRat

Quote:
This is probably a silly question, but are any of the people having trouble with their GLOCKs left eye dominant? My GLOCK (gen 4 23) just pops brass out over my right shoulder, but I bet if I moved it over a few inches to shoot with my left eye, it might hit my face sometimes.
I actually am left eye dominant and I know for fact that it is a factor for me with certain guns. However, I recently owned a Glock 23 that kicked cases well away from me, unlike the Glock 19 I had. I think it's much more a problem with the 9mm Glocks than the others.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 18, 2013, 04:37 PM   #40
g.willikers

It might be due to the grip angle.
It's easy to have the gun pointing high, which will cause the ejection port to be aiming back, instead of flat and parallel to the ground.
And if the gun is also canted a little to the left, then cases fly backwards.
Just a thought.
Old February 18, 2013, 04:59 PM   #41
rem44m

To the OP-

It is a problem with newer Glocks. I have purchased a total of 5 glocks and 2 of them built prior to 2009 so before the extractor and ejector changes and they function flawlessly. I can shoot with one finger on the trigger and just my thumb on the backstrap and they fuction 100% without ejecting brass to my face. (it actually spits brass about 8-10 feet to the right even while limpwristing.

As for the 3 newer glocks (one 40 cal Gen 4 built in May of 2011, one 9 mm Gen 3 built in april 2010 and one 45 Gen 3 built in Jan 2013) they all spit brass to the face and have weak ejection regardless of factory or aftermarket extractor and ejector changes. This is a Glock known problem, I don't know why they haven't fixed it. I can't actually figure out why they messed with "perfection" in the first place but it has been very frustrating. This is not operator error I've been shooting a long time and don't have the problem with all Glocks so I know it is the gun. As far as I'm concerned a gun should still cycle why "limpwristed" anyways.

Just for the record not all newer Glock pistols have this problem. I watched the guy next to me at the range last weekend who had a gen 4 G27 and his was ejecting brass about 8-10 feet to his 5 o clock.

So OP it is not you and unfortunately I don't believe you are going to find a fix for this.

"If gun owners are as violent as anti-gunners said we are, there wouldn't be any anti's left"
Old February 18, 2013, 06:55 PM   #42
jbrown27

Look on your ejector on the 19 and see if its a 336 ejector if it is that's the problem. I have the same problem and it can supposedly be fixed by putting in a new ejector taken out of the Gen 4 housing. I have one ordered so I will report back when I get it and make the switch. If so that's a quick and cheap fix. Although it does suck to have to do that to a brand new Glock so you don't get flying brass to the face
Tri Star T-120 Taurus TCP 738
Old February 18, 2013, 10:43 PM   #43
TxFlyFish

The funny thing is that despite these ejection problems there are few reports of actual stoppage...your just gonna keep on taking high fives on your face but the gun will keep on chugging
Old February 19, 2013, 12:23 AM   #44
defscarlett

I shot a rented G19 today at the range and had the same problem. Probably 10/50 hit me straight in my eye protection including the first shot.
Old February 19, 2013, 01:55 AM   #45
rs97

The first Glock I ever fired was Generation 2 more than 20 years ago. That gun would land empty cases on shooter's head. I guess Glock did work on making their pistols more accurate - now they hit you right in the face! I wonder what kind of groups everyone is getting.
Old February 19, 2013, 07:19 PM   #46
Barnacle Brad

Can't help myself...

Have had my Glock 19 for 20+ years. It has sprayed brass in all directions since day 1. Never thought there might be a 'fix' for it. Certainly doesn't matter what ammo I use. It sure hurts when it goes down your shirt though!

I spread a tarp out to catch brass. It helps some. If you are lucky - you find most of yours and maybe a little of someone else's...

I will stay tuned and hope you post a 'fix'. Good luck!
Old February 20, 2013, 02:33 AM   #47
Tickling

I'm sure you know what you're doing and that you're an experienced shooter..

But my first handgun was a Glock 19 and I would occasionally get hit in the head with brass by it and other Glocks I tried. Turns out I was holding them too loosely or "limp-wristing" them to some degree. A more experienced shooter corrected my grip and I haven't had a single problem for well over a year now, with either my gun or any other Glock.

EDIT: The OP sold it I hear good things about the Ruger SR line..
Old February 20, 2013, 06:38 AM   #48
thedudeabides

My 30, 29, and 20 all throw brass so far to the right and back I can only find 20% of what I shoot.

I'd send it to Georgia and see what they can do to tune it up.
Old February 20, 2013, 11:22 AM   #49
TacticalDefense1911

Glocks have never been really consistent with their ejection patterns but the late Gen 3's and new Gen 4's have been worse. A lot of the issue has to due with the height of the ejection port. Here is a good write-up by Randy Lee from Apex Tactical on why the Glock is the way it is.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=92447
Old February 20, 2013, 11:44 AM   #50
Gaerek

When my Gen 4 G19 was new, I would get BTF (Brass to Face) about 1 in 20 shots. In the last 1000 shots I've fired, however, I can't remember even one BTF. Before that it was maybe 1 in 50 or 1 in 100 after about 500 rounds.

Give it some time, call Glock, or just take it to a gunsmith. Any of these are likely to fix the problem.