The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 6, 2012, 08:43 AM   #1
Mrgunsngear

Ultimak AK Rail & Busnell TRS Red Dot Combo Review

For those out there who have trouble using the stock AK sights or want a red dot optic for quicker target acquisition but don't want to pay $600 for an Aimpoint T1 this set up may be what you're looking for. I've had this set up on several of my AKs and never had an issue at all with it to report.

Pros:
-Cost. The entire set-up can be had for around $170 shipped if you pay attention to the sales
-The rail is made out of T6 aluminum and the clamps are 4140 steel
-Installation is very simple and with polymer AK handguards no modification is necessary to the lower handguard. If you're using wood handguards, the lower may need some fitting
-The rail as plenty of room to mount a light should you have the desire to do so
-Maintains zero
-I haven't seen any change in accuracy with the Ultimak as I have while using the Midwest Industries rail system (but, there's pros and cons to both... and I like both)
-The TRS25 has a 3MOA dot which is about all the accuracy most shooters will get out of their AKs anyway
-The light emitter on the TRS allows for a lower 1/3 co-witness so even if your optic batter died an an inopportune time you still have use of the irons
-I have seen no evidence at all of heat damage. I don't have the happy switch on any of my AKs but I've also never thought to shoot slowly due to heat.

Cons:
-With all forward AK rail mount options, it does cause the rifle to be slightly front heavy
-The tube gets hot and you may need to watch your grip during rapid fire (see the video for clarification on this...)
-If you're comparing it to an Aimpoint, the dot isn't as clear but I don't expect it to be at this price point either

Here's a video review with a demonstration of some shooting from CQB distances, 60m, and a discussion of the pros and cons of the system:

Ultimak & TRS Red Dot HD Review Video

Old October 6, 2012, 08:53 PM   #2
shoptroll

I have the same setup on my 74. Quite happy with it. I do have a Vltor adapter and adjustable buttstock. I swapped the Magpul buttstock with the Tapco on my son's AR because it pops off easier so I can get to the storage compartment inside the Vltor tube.
Old October 7, 2012, 07:19 AM   #3
Mrgunsngear

One negative I should have mentioned it you're using it on a '74 is cleaning with corrosive ammo. I know many people say you can just flush out the salts with water and not remove the gas tube but I live in the very humid SE and that doesn't work here (I've tried it and learned my lesson with some time spent cleaning rust!). I now always remove the gas tube after shooting corrosive ammo and with this set up it's a pain in the butt...
Old October 7, 2012, 08:25 PM   #4
shoptroll

I use a 20 ga. bore brush with a patch and solvent to clean the gas tube without removing it. I've pulled it for inspection a few times and it's worked well so far. Obviously, humidity is gonna be more of an issue in the SE than it is in the NE.
Old October 8, 2012, 10:06 AM   #5
Cshooter

Thanks for the review. I just got the Ultimak for my MAK 90 and have been trying to decide on a good optic without spending hundreds of dollars. Looks like the Bushnell may be the way to go.
Old October 8, 2012, 12:52 PM   #6
Mrgunsngear

It's solid for sure. The PA micro dot (Gen7s) are very similar; I'd recommend getting whichever you can get cheaper.
Old October 9, 2012, 01:49 PM   #7
lee n. field

Interesting. I have an Ultimak, with a cheap red dot mounted. I don't think I really have the hang of using the red dot -- I tend to use it as if it was a scope.

I'm also contemplating adding a light or laser with a angled adapter.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 9, 2012, 05:45 PM   #8
Eghad

Red dot use is pretty simple. Zero it. Put the red dot on the target and shoot. When I zero my red dots they usually set over the top of my front sight post. Doesn't bother me. Some folks use a riser to get a lower 1/3 cowitness.

My setup on my AK is the same. I didn't use the Kvar forearm though

NRA Life Member
Old October 9, 2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Bigfatts

I just picked up a Polish underfolder with one of these sights mounted on a Samson rear sight rail. I was thinking about going with Bushnell's First Strike since I like the open style better but I might give this guy a try. Probably move it into the forward position like you have your's since mine has the UTG quad rail just sitting empty.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:00 PM   #10
Mrgunsngear

Do not, do not use the First Strike. I've had 2 and both failed under recoil (do a search in the shotgun forum. They're redesigning it now due to my documented failures along with another youtuber who has made videos documenting it as well. I was told by the Bushnell engineering manager that it would be a couple months until the redesigned/improved model is out.

I had some videos up of the failure but I haven't transitioned them to my new channel yet. They'll be up soon but I did write pretty extensively about it here.
Old October 9, 2012, 09:24 PM   #11
Bigfatts

^Good to know^