The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 26, 2009, 12:07 AM   #1
NESHOOTER

Sp 150gr question

Using a remington .308 150 gr and soft point and I got a question went on my first deer hunt got my 215 lb doe and I have seen other deer taken and seen a enter and exit wounds on the deer. What is odd is this I shot my deer and right behind the shoulder and seen the enter spot but flipped the girl over and did not see the exit opening what odd is my son was using a winchester bal silvertip 30-06 150gr sp samething and my daughter using a winchester super X .243 100 gr sp.....I just find this odd yes hitting bone and lodging in another part of bone but in 3 different deer using 3 different cal's is what is odd... don't you agree....what's your take?

Last edited by NESHOOTER; November 26, 2009 at 12:30 AM. Reason: add type ammo
Old November 30, 2009, 11:46 AM   #2
davlandrum

Too many variables involved to come to any conclusion. Sounds like they all did thier job.

Good thing about no exit is all the energy went into the deer. Bad thing is less blood trail. But dead is dead, it is not about style points.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 30, 2009, 01:29 PM   #3
Scorch

The bullet did its job, don't worry if it didn't exit.
Old December 1, 2009, 01:25 PM   #4
GeauxTide

Sorry, but I couldn't interpret. If the deer were killed quickly, then what's the exit wound issue?
Old December 1, 2009, 01:43 PM   #5
Wild Bill Bucks

I have used 150 grain Ballistic tipped bullets for years in .308 and I have noticed that If the bullet passes completely through, the hole coming out is about the size of a tobasco bottle, leaving plenty of blood. If the bullet doesn't pass completely through it generally mulches everything inside.
Most of the pass through shots will go about 25 yards and fall over dead. The ones that don't go through, are generally DRT.
Old December 1, 2009, 07:05 PM   #6
James R. Burke

Real hard to say. Like the prior posts are saying there are just to many vairiables. Just wondering if this was a whitetail scaled weight. If it was that is one big, and I mean big whitail. But way to go nice deer no matter what you go it and thats what counts, bullets can do strange things.
Old December 1, 2009, 07:43 PM   #7
lockedcj7

My experiences pretty much mirror Wild Bill's. I've used Rem. Core lokt, Winchester Power point, Hornady SST, Nosler Ballistic Tips, Nosler Partition and Speer Game King spire point. I've used 7mm-08, .270 win., and 30-06. I haven't seen any trend between those that fell DRT and those that ran. With only 30 or so deer to my credit, each shot at a slightly different spot, angle and distance, there are just too many variables to draw any conclusions.
Old December 2, 2009, 02:24 AM   #8
wpcexpert

First off, that is a huge...huge doe and you should feel like you killed a trophy.

Like others have said, there are too many variables. But something to concider, the 30-06 is has the .308 by about 100fps and about 170foot lbs. The .243 has about the same ballistics as the 30-06, just w/out the KE.

You could have slammed a rib with the .308 and not with the others. But that was a huge doe.

But I would dwell on it too much. Dead is dead.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old December 2, 2009, 03:29 AM   #9
bamaranger

same same

The others have pretty much covered it, but I'll add this. The ballistic tip is a great bullet and may be an ideal deer projectile. Quite of few of my buddies shot'em, when they first came out, and so did I. It was not unusual not to get an exit, if the velocity was high, or the deer was quartered. Sammy never got an exit on his 7mm mag and b-tips. I was about 50-50, w/ a .270. Most folks consider the b-tip a "soft" bullet, as opposed to the current, controlled expansion premium bullets which are now the rage.

I have killed one deer w/ a .243-100 and did not get an exit. Bullet shattered the near shoulder and was under the skin behind the opposite one, intact, classic mushroom (rem psp)