The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 7, 2022, 04:11 PM   #26
stagpanther

Quote:
The probability of hitting an intended target. Other than that it all entertainment, winning a match, breaking a record and all that.

-TL
I have to admit I've always liked the "Hathcock theory" that there is only one shot that counts--the first cold bore one.
Old April 10, 2022, 02:30 PM   #27
DaleA

Bart B...just curious, is there an actual, technically correct answer to your original question?
Old April 10, 2022, 03:43 PM   #28
kilotanker22

According to Oxford Languages, accuracy as a technical term is defined as:

"The degree to which the result of a measurement, calculation, or specification conforms to the correct value or a standard."

To me, this means that the measure of a rifle's accuracy should be considered as how reliably you can place a bullet within a predetermined proximity to the point of aim.

Precision is:

"Refinement in a measurement, calculation, or specification, especially as represented by the number of digits given."

To me, this represents group size, or the measurement obtained from firing a number of shots and the relation of those individual shots relative to each other shot.

You could think of precision as a scalar measurement representing overall group size. You can think of accuracy as a vector quantity representing the relation between the point of impact and point of aim.

To sum this up, in my opinion. Accuracy is the ability to put bullets where you want them to be. Precision is a measure of group size.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old April 10, 2022, 05:34 PM   #29
Reloadron

What Best Defines Accuracy?

I always define accuracy the same way. Unbiased precision with precision defined as a high measure of repeatability. The simple cartoon version looks like this:

Ron
Old April 10, 2022, 05:35 PM   #30
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleA View Post
Bart B...just curious, is there an actual, technically correct answer to your original question?
Maybe, but it depends on ones objectives, conditions and standards.

Kilotanker22's is good. Reloadron has an interesting perspective.
Old April 10, 2022, 06:58 PM   #31
Reloadron

Hey Bart, how goes it?
Quote:
Reloadron has an interesting perspective.
I guess my perspective is about my career which constantly crossed paths with Metrology (Measurement Technology) within the Navy Nuclear Propulsion Program.

Since the question of accuracy frequently comes up in my shooting forums I made the image I posted. During the last 20 years of my career my department head, a mechanical type, referred to my design schematics, me an electrical type, as my cartoons so it stuck as to my drawings.

While we can define accuracy in words I figure an image can sum it up to aid in getting our points across. Most definitions, not all, come close to my cartoon. I do not see it as much about groups of a number of rounds. If I have my point of aim at 6:00 O'Clock on the black and my shot or shot is in the 10X I have accuracy. Matters not if I shoot 10 rounds in 10 min or 10 rounds at one a day for 10 days. Just how I see it. My perspective.

Ron
Old April 10, 2022, 07:14 PM   #32
stagpanther

Hmmm, then in theory accuracy could be completely divorced from the mechanics of the rifle itself?
Old April 10, 2022, 08:07 PM   #33
robertsig

For importance, Precision > Accuracy

Precision is inherent in the gun.
Accuracy can be fixed. Adjust ye scope.
Old April 11, 2022, 03:23 PM   #34
Ricklin

What Matters?

What matters to me. Practical accuracy.

I'm more a shotgunner tho I do enjoy range time with pistols and revolvers too.

My most accurate guns in general are those guns that fit me well. Those guns may well be capable of greater accuracy than I can deliver, what matters? What it does in my hands. My brother loves his lead sled, he would like to use it when he is shooting against me.

Fit is critical for shotguns, it matters for all guns.
Old April 12, 2022, 07:15 AM   #35
darkgael

Hitting what I aim at.
Old April 12, 2022, 10:09 AM   #36
hounddawg

For me it would be small many shot groups. In all competitions I compete in I need to put 20 or more shots as close to possible to my point of aim. I try to develop loads where I have around a .5 MOA 95% CEP for 20 or more rounds
Old April 28, 2022, 04:18 PM   #37
Picher

My .243 loads are not extensively tested, unlike other hunting loads. I just picked one out of the manual and it shot well enough for me. I never seriously hunted much with the .243, but loaded some ammo right out of the manual that were fine for the kids to hunt with and the rifle is light to carry down back. One day, on a whim, I had my grand-daughter shoot three shots at 150 yards at my deer gong heart, while standing/leaning off the back of the pickup cover, using a sandbag for a rest. They were inside of one inch! (Since she grew up out-of-state, I never had the chance to shoot with her much.) The very next day, she shot a nice 140 lb. doe with that rifle at 150 yards. She also just won an award in the Air Force for her rifle shooting. She's an MP, or whatever they call it in the AF.

(Her brother was an award-winning army sniper who won awards in the Army, but that has little bearing here.) When he was about 10, I taught him how to shoot rifles with my super-accurate 10-22.
Old April 28, 2022, 07:21 PM   #38
Reloadron

Quote:
She's an MP, or whatever they call it in the AF.
That would be an AP (Air Police).

Ron
Old April 29, 2022, 08:47 PM   #39
Metal god

44 & Stag nailed it on the first 2 respoces . Nuff said !

Quote:
Yes and he knows the answer . Over the years he has started asking questions he knows the answer to , then challenging the answers . He really helped me out in these forums ten years ago with good thoughtful answers but lately I feel he’s decided to carry Guffey’s torch in his absence lol

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; April 29, 2022 at 10:59 PM.
Old April 30, 2022, 02:12 PM   #40
Jim Watson

Accuracy is measured by my standing in the match results.
Old April 30, 2022, 02:51 PM   #41
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
This is the old question of precision vs accuracy. If your rifle shoots very small groups it is precise, but not necessarily accurate.
My OCD kicks in and my eye twitches (the left eye, actually) when somebody posts a beautifully tight group, 3" from the bullseye and proclaim a rifle/shooter/ammo to be "very accurate." I keep saying to myself, "...but you missed the bullseye."
Old May 1, 2022, 12:57 AM   #42
stagpanther

Quote:
44 & Stag nailed it on the first 2 respoces . Nuff said !
I believe I was wrong, actually.
Old May 1, 2022, 03:31 AM   #43
AzShooter

For me, accuracy is a revolver that can shoot 1 inch groups at 25 yards from a bench. I can do it all day long with my automatic but there are very few rounds that can equal that in my revolvers.
In my .38 I found a great combination of 186 grain cast lead round nose ( special dye made for me ) with a load of Unique that would shoot 1 inch from a rest. Not many other loads would go sub 2 inches at the same distance.
Old May 1, 2022, 01:23 PM   #44
Metal god

Quote:
I believe I was wrong, actually.
No you were not and don't ever let them convince you other wise haha . It's all fake news

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old May 1, 2022, 01:34 PM   #45
Metal god

Quote:
A .5" group a foot away from the target is less accurate than a 5" group centered on the target.
That's not true even a little bit . During load development I'm often inches away from my POA and that has zero to do with the accuracy or the rounds . "I" determine the accuracy because only "I" know what I'm trying to accomplish .

FIRST 3 SHOTS FIRED FROM A NIB SAVAGE MODEL 10 after bore sighting . I guess that's not very accurate ?

SAME GUN ABOUT 1500rds later , there was an issue with the action and yet it still shot 2 separate 1/2 moa groups in the same 10 shot string .

There are caveats to everything and is why you the shooter get to say what is accurate and not the POI . It also points out how this is a troll question , it can be reasonably argued we are all correct depending on your perspective . The question was phrased in a way to never come to a conclusion so we all can go round and round about who is the smart one here .

Last edited by Metal god; May 1, 2022 at 01:49 PM.