The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 19, 2022, 05:05 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

38spl, snubbie ballistics gel testing with several bullets

Initial Premise
I wanted to test several bullet profiles in ballistics gel out of my snubbie. In my case a Clear Ballistics 10% gel block. I wanted to test hollow points, semi wad cutters, and flat points.
Based on my limited testing and experience wide flat points in particular seem to out perform hollow points. They create a wound tunnel so to speak, or a channel the length of the bullets travel larger in diameter than the bullet. In contrast hollow points tend to open and create a larger cavity and tend to cut a small pin hole the rest of the length of travel and have penetration limited by the expansion. I am hoping the semi wad cutters will perform similarly to the wide flat points. But only testing will tell.

Thoughts
For my snubbie I load 158g bullets with Hodgdon clays. I prefer 158g bullets for 38s, and Hodgdon Clays, while not providing the best velocities, compared to some other powders, it provides a nice mild recoil that allows me to shoot it regularly without any hand pain. It also provides more consistent velocities and better accuracy.

Possible problems
While preparing my primary loads, HP, SWC, FP, I had some thoughts. The 158 XTPs are intended for a velocity of 700fps on the low end per the box. I was concerned they would not open at the velocities I was anticipating. However I decided to give them a try anyway.

Expansion of testing
I was reading some threads recently in relation to snubbies and +p 125g loads. Based on my concern relating to the 158XTP’s not opening I wanted to have a HP that would open for wound channel comparison to my SWC and FP. So I loaded up 2 loads, with an OLD 110g speer semi jacketed hollow point, and some 125g Hornady XTP. While I generally prefer my softer shooting clays I really wanted to push the limits with these rounds to get the best performance for comparison purposes. I loaded them to Hornady Max charges with HP-38(W231). Based on my research, depending on the manuals these may be +P loads, but were not listed as such in my Hornady’s manual.

Final Considerations
I understand comparing mild 158s to, what I would consider to be heavy, 110 and 125s loads is somewhat apples to oranges. But I decided I was exploring the capabilities of the gun and cartridge, not just profiles to give a broader view.

Equipment/Components
Test gun Ruger LCR (+P Rated) 1.87in barrel
Mixed 38spl brass, once fired
Winchester small rifle primers

Testing Protocol
1 round into bare gel from approximately 6 inches. 4 round over the chronograph to get a rough velocity.

110g
Speer semi jacketed hollow point, 1013fps
Loaded with HP-38 (w231) 6.3g, (max charge per Hornady 11th Possibly +P)

125g
Hornady XTP 874fps.
Loaded with HP-38 (w231) 5.7g, (max charge per Hornady 11th Possibly +P)

158g
Hornayd XTP, 591 fps
Brazos Semi Wad Cutter, 682fps
Home Cast round flat nose 688fps
All loaded with 3.1g of Clays (Max charge per Hodgdon)

Follow up
Sorry I know that was a bit long. So here are the results. They are not what I expected, but here they are. All bullets bullet’s fully passed through the 16in gel block. I only managed to capture 2 of the bullets both the 158g and 125g XTPs in the water jugs. The 158 stopped in the first jug. The 125g stopped in the 2nd jug. The wound cavities for the 125 and 110 g were a fair bit more impressive than I expected with better penetration than I expected.

I hope you find this useful or at least entertaining

158g XTP, 158g SWC, 158g RF, 125g XTP, 110g SJHP, bullets and round tracks in order

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220518_205030_resized.jpg (399.6 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg 20220519_151610_resized.jpg (402.6 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg 20220519_153237_resized.jpg (297.9 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by Shadow9mm; May 19, 2022 at 05:45 PM.
Old May 19, 2022, 09:03 PM   #2
akinswi

Shadow, Have you tried flipping a 158 grain Hollow Base Wad Cutter around and shooting that thru ballistic Gel? Old school projectile interested too see the results

Awesome post

38 special is still a fantastic defense rd
Old May 19, 2022, 09:13 PM   #3
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by akinswi View Post
Shadow, Have you tried flipping a 158 grain Hollow Base Wad Cutter around and shooting that thru ballistic Gel? Old school projectile interested too see the results

Awesome post

38 special is still a fantastic defense rd
I have not. I do have some but i had 2 problems. There was not enough space to fit more shots and show them clearly on the block. And i could not remember where i put them. Im hoping to test them next outing, if i can find them.