The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 12, 2002, 07:04 AM   #1
WESHOOT2

WHO WILL BE THERE (besides me; I'm going)?

Who will be (wisely) competing indoors Sunday at the S&W Academy?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snowmatch.jpg (32.8 KB, 76 views)
Old January 15, 2002, 03:12 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

TYPING or SHOOTING?

I went (160 miles of blinding snowstorm), I shot (no one was hurt), I smiled ('cause I'd been shootin!).

What did you do this weekend, and how often do you (actually, or is it tactically) practice?

Do? or Read?
Old January 15, 2002, 07:32 AM   #3
Hamar

Practice....

Back when I was shooting IPSC on a competitive level, I would practice between 1000-1500 rounds of live fire a week. Dry fire, mag changes, and target acquisition, was a nightly event,1-1.5 hrs. My live fire practice would start and end with 1 mag of 50ft upper A zone shots. But that was then before the two little ones. Now I just shoot to stay proficient.

Last edited by Hamar; January 15, 2002 at 09:03 AM.
Old January 15, 2002, 07:41 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

YOU CAN STILL COME OUT TO PLAY

Exactly. Proficiency.

Oh, and it's funs!
Old January 15, 2002, 09:24 PM   #5
Hamar

Fun

Yes, the GAME of IPSC was fun. I miss it greatly. I have been thinking of taking my carry piece (Glock 22) to an IDPA match. I know they hold them on Cape Cod. Just have to find the time. I just hope it does not get as addictive as IPSC did.
Old January 16, 2002, 07:14 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

CARRY GUNS

I compete with the following carry guns: (2) 4" 357 GP100's, 5.5" Redhawks in 41, 44, and 45 Colt, (previously) Glock M20, and EAA Witnesses in 9x19, 9x21 (Open, no batteries), 38 Super, 40 S&W, 41AE, and 45ACP.
And of course, my 1911 (Caspian, of course, in 45ACP and 400 CorBon).

For true 'practice' I've competed without my corrective lenses, from varying types of concealment (vest, sweater, coat, trenchcoat), and in ALL weather conditions except tsunami.
One of the coolest facets of the S&W Academy is the 'low-light' bay, where my black sights (first time used there) disappeared.

Shooting, competing, learning, practicing, fellowship.

I need a couple more speedloaders to compete with my 7.5" 357 Redhawk (but I've carried it, too).

I have never won a match, but I win every time I go, know what I mean?
Old January 16, 2002, 08:15 AM   #7
Hamar

quite the gammot (sp)

I started shooting plates at a local club. Another shooter saw me and told me about IPSC. I went with him and a few others to the next IPSC match. Saw the folks there running and shooting at the same time. Boy,I needed to give it a shot (pardon the pun). Shot my first 1/2 season of IPSC with a S&W 745. Moved over to a stock Colt Delta elite 10mm for the rest of the year. Over the winter months I had it converted to a full race comp gun still 10mm, this was still before the red dot era. Shot the whole next season with the comp'd Delta. I made it to local "A " class and national "C" with that peice. Over the next winter, shot the Delta while I had an Eaa Witness worked into a Hi-cap 9x21 Race gun with red dot sight. That was the last piece of the puzzle. Proceeded to finish in the top 5 at the area 8 championships and win matches or finish in the top 3 at the local matches. Master class was my goal, 3 seasons after I started I obtained it. Left IPSC at my personal best when my first child was born. I had way too much powder, lead and other nasty stuff hanging around a very small house. I felt it better to eliminate all the bad stuff while she was young. Now my kids are getting bigger and it's time to get back to shooting a little bit. I think IDPA may be where I will try next.......Sorry about the long post.

Last edited by Hamar; January 16, 2002 at 12:15 PM.