The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 7, 2014, 11:15 PM   #1
tahunua001

wider spreads but tighter groups?

hello all,
I recently switched from an RCBS balance beam scale to a charge master automatic scale/measure combo. I've noticed a strange phenomenon since I made this switch. my standard deviation and extreme spreads have been much larger than with my old setup but my average groups have been much tighter than with my old setup.

anyone have similar instances? possible explanations?
Old October 8, 2014, 06:27 AM   #2
Bart B.

Are you referring to velocity?

If so, then something else changed. It's not charge weights. You may not be holding the rifle as consistantly against your shoulder. That alone can make a 4X difference in the numbers.
Old October 8, 2014, 09:58 PM   #3
tahunua001

I chrono from a lead sled. and yes, extreme spreads in velocity, are up, groups are smaller, interestingly enough.
Old October 9, 2014, 08:26 AM   #4
bfoosh006

You have just seen why I don't put to much merit in SD and ES figures....

I have noticed the same thing over the decades... in both factory and reloaded ammo.

IMHO, there are just to many variables in reloading and shooting for Low ES and SD to have any truly meaningful effect on overall accuracy.... I would think how clean your barrel is would matter more.
Old October 9, 2014, 09:35 AM   #5
green_MTman

what is meant by standard deviation and extreme spreads.if groups are tight than whats the problem.you may mean flyers.so you mean that before you got a flyer every 20th shot but groups were bigger.now you have smaller groups but a flyer every 12th shot.

if this is the case,i mean 2 inch groups at 100 is fine for hunting out to 300 yds and reliability being crucial in the field your old shots may have been more practical.

im still not sure what your post means
Old October 9, 2014, 04:47 PM   #6
TATER

Just a stab in the Dark.. Could you be controlling the runout better now for some strange reason ?
Old October 10, 2014, 09:16 AM   #7
Metal god

Have you double checked your digital scale to your beam scale or check weights yet . I've seen with my own loads that a .3gr difference does not change much but can just a tad . What does smaller groups mean 2" to 1" / 1" to .5" / .9 to .7 ?? . I would not put to much into ES - SD unless the rifle is locked into a machine rest or let to freely recoil . Any inconsistent hold on the rifle can and will change your ES-SD

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .