The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 21, 2013, 09:33 AM   #1
mnoirot64

SR-7625 for .380 Auto

Good morning friends. Is anyone out there using SR-7625 to reload .380 Auto? I recently reloaded my first batch of 100 rounds 380 using SR-7625. I consulted IMR's online reload recipe, Nosler's reloading guide 7 and Lyman's 49th edition for recipe's. I am using a 100 gr FMJ Ranier bullet over 3.0 grains of SR-7625. According to IMR's online guide and Lyman, that is towards the high end for this bullet. When I shot them, they seemed incredibly under powered and some failed to actually load correctly in my LCP380. Any suggestions on this recipe?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Merry Christmas,

Michael Noirot
Clarksville, TN
Old December 21, 2013, 03:48 PM   #2

I'm not familiar with that bullet, so is it really an FMJ, or is it still plated? Ranier occasionally differs from Berry's recommendation to use cast bullet load data for their plated bullets. If It is truly an FMJ or it is an extra heavy plated bullet, the Lyman Pistol & Revolver III goes up to 3.2 grs. as the Max. Charge where they got 834 FPS from a 3 3/4" test barrel that's still on the slow side. W231 and Unique gave over 1000 FPS at similar pressure from the same test barrel. You may need a different powder and since www.ramshot.com loaded with the 100 gr. Ranier RN, you might want to look at their data for ZIP and True Blue. Another posistive on True Blue is that it can be used to load any handgun cartridge, exceptionally in many cases.