The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 15, 2013, 08:20 PM   #1
terrybarb3

Reloading the .50AE Desert Eagle

So last month I posted the decision to make between the .50 DE and big bore revolver. The DE is what my wife got me and I can tell you that every video you see people shooting with it and then giggling like a little kid is absolutely true. That .50DE is a complete riot to shoot. I'ts like shooting a pisol grip shot gun... and just shoves with authoritity and fires incredibly accurate...

But it also is an incredibly hard ammo to find. Searching the reloading forum I'm only seeing old info. Is anyone out there successfully reloading for it and if so, what dies are you using and what are your favorite powders? I know bullets are pretty limited to pretty much Hornady and one other.

So what powder is your favorite? Does anyone know what powder Hornady uses for their factory loads of the .50AE?
Old December 15, 2013, 08:54 PM   #2
skizzums

alot of people use the ranier 335gr pated bullets in 50ae, they are rated up to 1500fps, should be no prob in the DE, i believe the factory loads are in the 1250 to 1390 range, i could be wrong, would need to investigate
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/105...ated-flat-nose

powders N110, H110, 2400, and AA#9 are all reccomended
Old December 15, 2013, 09:27 PM   #3
skizzums

if you put this thread in the handloading, bullet csting section, youll have an onslaught of respones from peopkke who really know what they are doing
Old December 15, 2013, 09:35 PM   #4
JT-AR-MG42

What a nice gift.
I've never shot a round of factory .50. Couldn't afford them!

The polygonal bore on the DE handles the plated bullets just fine. I've recovered some from water testing to satisfy myself the plating is staying intact.

31.5 grs. of H110 with the plated Rainier 335gr. is very accurate. Brass ejection is a little too close to my face though.
Any breaking of the wrist results in cases back at you.

23.0grs AA No.9 is also a good choice. Like H110, it is a loud powder.

I had no luck at all with my .50 with either length barrel shooting 2400. Surprised me but, your results may vary.

My favorite (and standard) load is 31 grs. of 4227 with the same bullet.
Not quite up to the power level of H110, just right for me though. Still plenty of shock and awe without the muzzle blast of the ball powders.
This is a relatively pleasant load that is very accurate with brass ejection to my right by a few feet and 5 or 6 feet behind me.

I'd get Hornady or RCBS dies and also get a spare RCBS taper crimp/seating die so that you do not have keep resetting your seating depth. Seat and taper crimp as two separate steps.

FWIW, I do not allow anyone to shoot any of my guns without safety glasses.
This is especially important with the DE in either .44 or .50.
Letting ones wrist 'break' can put the ejected case RIGHT BACK in your face.

I call the phenomenon 'The Israeli learning curve - short and to the point!'

JT
Old December 18, 2013, 08:35 PM   #5
terrybarb3

thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately i had to box up my Dillon 550 for repair. Actually had a piece break off of the ram. so i wont be reloading for a while

Does anyone know what powders Horandy uses when the load their .50AE?
Old December 18, 2013, 09:22 PM   #6
dewcrew8

My dies are rcbs ones and it like aa#9! I use it for both 50 and 44mag. In the 6 inch barrles you'll have some nice flames come out! The 10 inch ones not that bad .
Old December 19, 2013, 05:06 AM   #7
JT-AR-MG42

Terry,

I would be surprised if you contacted Hornady and received a definitive answer.

Guessing the main reason they will give (for any caliber) is that they use a blended lot of powder that is not commercially sold, and that they obviously do not want you to try to duplicate it.

We are living in a rather litigious society.

Might be interesting for you to start a new thread on this question.

JT