The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 22, 2013, 06:22 PM   #1
Nathan11

Was the M-1 Carbine Banned Under the original 1994 Assault Weapon Ban?

It seems like no one can give me a straight answer. For example, I own a newly manufactured Auto Ordnance M-1 Carbine. It does not have a telescopic/folding stock, or a flash suppressor, or a bayonet lug, or a pistol grip. However, the new NY State law seems to suggest that if a firearm fell into the category of "assault weapon" under the old 1994 Assault Weapon Ban, it must be registered with the state police?

So was the M-1 Carbine banned under the original 1994 Assault Weapon Ban or not?

Thank You!

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/GetDyna...pg&w=652&h=556
Old January 22, 2013, 07:26 PM   #2
gc70

Was the M-1 Carbine banned under the federal 1994 Assault Weapons Ban?

Maybe.

Carbines with standard stocks were not subject to the ban because they had, at most, 1 qualifying characteristic - a bayonet mount.

Carbines with folding stocks were subject to the ban if they had at least 2 qualifying characteristics - a folding stock and a bayonet mount.

Last edited by gc70; January 23, 2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: corrected link - modified re: pistol grip
Old January 22, 2013, 10:55 PM   #3
Gary L. Griffiths

Quote:
Carbines with standard stocks were not subject to the ban because they had, at most, 1 qualifying characteristic - a bayonet mount.

Carbines with folding stocks were subject to the ban because they had at least 2 qualifying characteristics - a folding stock and a pistol grip.
Thus illustrating the idiocy of the '94 Assault Weapons Ban.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old January 22, 2013, 11:38 PM   #4
Doc TH

No
Old January 23, 2013, 02:16 PM   #5
RickB

Quote:
and a pistol grip.
The wire stock was attached to the bottom of the pistol grip, so is it a pistol grip? I remember seeing ARs that had a piece of heavy-gauge wire that ran from the toe of the butt to the bottom of the pistol grip, apparently to get around the "separate" pistol grip. It's just a REALLY big thumb-hole!
Old January 23, 2013, 03:12 PM   #6
gc70

Good point, RickB, which leads to another awkward split. Carbines with a folding stock and bayonet mount would have been subject to the 1994 ban, but one without a bayonet mount would not.
Old January 23, 2013, 03:58 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yep, that HUGE "thumbhole" was one of the ways manufacturers got around the prohibition, and it's one of the things that led Diane Feinestine (sp?) to start crying about how the "spirit" of the law was being violated.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 23, 2013, 04:51 PM   #8
gc70

It was hard to know the "spirit" of the law without being able to read Dianne Feinstein's mind to know what she thought was scary-looking.
Old January 23, 2013, 05:00 PM   #9
RockSmoot

Quote:
It was hard to know the "spirit" of the law without being able to read Dianne Feinstein's mind to know what she thought was scary-looking.
I'd laugh if I weren't crying.
Old January 23, 2013, 05:14 PM   #10
Armorer-at-Law

Quote:
Yep, that HUGE "thumbhole" was one of the ways manufacturers got around the prohibition, and it's one of the things that led Diane Feinestine (sp?) to start crying about how the "spirit" of the law was being violated.
Actually, it's one of the ways manufacturers complied with the law.
Old January 23, 2013, 07:40 PM   #11
dlb435

Only if it was built new. No one offers this rifle anymore, so the question is moot.
Old January 23, 2013, 10:42 PM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Actually, it's one of the ways manufacturers complied with the law."

You know that.

I know that.

Diane didn't agree with that.

And it made her sad.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 23, 2013, 10:44 PM   #13
SPEMack618

And to quote Phil Robertson, that made me "happy, happy, happy."

So is it violating the spirit of the law when I leave my truck at the watering hole and have a pledge drive me home?
Old January 23, 2013, 11:00 PM   #14
Auto426

Quote:
Actually I already know what's on Dianne's mind. She wants all guns banned, plain and simple. There's been an old interview of her circulating the web where she says as much.
Old January 24, 2013, 12:25 AM   #15
Nathan11

DLB435

Auto Ordnance Still makes the M-1 Carbine
Old January 24, 2013, 09:41 AM   #16
Yung.gunr

Well, I guess right now it really depends on where you live. I saw a document from NY State that specifically prohibited thumbhole stocks in their newest exercise in futility.