The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 10, 2013, 08:24 AM   #1
FLGlocker23

What to do w/ HCs after ban?

Hey guys I've heard this, that, and the other about this upcoming ban. Now i know no one can guess how it will finally play out( not even govt) but its looking pretty ridiculous.

My question is will they be grandfathering in gun owners who have high capacity round semi autos purchased before the ban. Because right now I have a S&W SD40VE with a 14+1 clip. Within the next week (barring I could find one) I plan on buying a compact glock for my EDC. Now I don't want to go spend 500-600$ on a new gun if its going to be banned and locked away for 10 years!

So I'm hoping someone has some reputable information to shed light on the info.

I also heard that from somewhere that ANY semi auto that can POSSIBLY take a high capacity mag will be outlawed!!! Which means nearly every semi!! Even the SC glocks that come standard with 10 can still fit anywhere up to the 33 rd mag. I'm hoping to God this version of the story is untrue.

Last edited by Tom Servo; January 10, 2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Removed profanity
Old January 10, 2013, 08:33 AM   #2
TacticalDefense1911

No one can speculate on a "ban" that has not even been introduced to Congress yet. The President does not have a foot to stand on legally in regards to Executive Ordering gun control even though he still might try. I suggest reading Dianne Feinstein's gun control bill to see what some are proposing. Given the fact that Republicans control the House along with several pro-gun Democrats and Democrats wanting to be re-elected in 2014 I really do not see a whole lot getting done on "gun control" regardless of what the President and Vice President say. I think that it is really going to come down to if the Presiden wants to go against the Constitution of the United States to pursue this.

No good answers right now. I would suggest buying what you want to buy. The probablity of a retroactive, confiscation ban are slim to nill. If something is passed it will most like include grandfathering in items already legally owned.
Old January 10, 2013, 08:50 AM   #3
dayman

In all honesty I think if they'd actually wanted to get something passed they wouldn't have gone to Feinstein. I think this is just the President making noise to placate the anti-gunners.

That being said, if something did get passed there's no way of telling what would happen. Maybe stuff would be grandfathered in, maybe not. I've been trying not to let it effect me one way or the other.
Old January 10, 2013, 09:23 AM   #4
carguychris

Quote:
I also heard that from somewhere that ANY semi auto that can POSSIBLY take a high capacity mag will be outlawed!!!
That is extremely unlikely due to 5A problems, and the fact that the D.C. v. Heller SCOTUS decision clearly dictates that Americans have an individual right to own arms that are "in common use".
Old January 10, 2013, 09:51 AM   #5
IrishBluEyes51

if they want to erode more of our "rights" then they should first start with something that would actually help the issues concerning guns in the wrong hands, such as DR/patient privilege. let the intelligence services be taxed with ferreting these nuts out before they can kill unsuspecting innocents. maybe homeland security they have already swept right to privacy away. but disarming america should be fought tooth n nail.
Old January 10, 2013, 10:01 AM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

Let's wait until we actually see concrete legislation before we go off half-cocked.
Closed Thread