The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 20, 2012, 06:37 PM   #1
mongoslow

Taurus tcp .380

a friend handed me this little .380 and 200 rounds of mixed ammo the other day and told me to go shoot it some and if i liked it i could have gun and ammo for $250 dollars.
i took it out awhile ago with my wife and steped off 10 yards from one of my targets, there is a letter T on the sde of the target about 3 inches tall, me and the wife both fired 3 rounds at it and clusterd all 6 in the center of the T.
I think i will buy it, seems like a fair deal for the little pocket weight
Old December 20, 2012, 06:42 PM   #2
thedudeabides

Dude, a brand spanking NEW TCP will run you 260-290.

...but don't buy 380. It sucks.
Old December 20, 2012, 07:35 PM   #3
stingray2100

Your friend is trying to get some extra cash for Christmas

So a Taurus TCP 738 are going for $199.

200 mixed ammo? I guess that can be 40-50 depending on the brand.

I would go with new...just my opinion.
Old December 20, 2012, 07:43 PM   #4
mongoslow

he bought it new shot a few mags through it and just doesn't like it he is a .45 fanboy just wants his investment back. I want a pocket pistol so we are both good
Old December 21, 2012, 06:45 AM   #5
kflo01

I will tell you this gun is a hidden gem when it comes to .380s.
go for it whoever is thinking about one. it would be my first choice in 380s.
Old December 21, 2012, 08:06 AM   #6
lapetrarca53

Great little gun. Got mine a couple of months ago NIB for $199 and I absolutely love this gun.

Check the serial number to make sure it's a C series. They are the latest versions and seem to have most of the bugs worked out of them.
Old December 21, 2012, 10:01 AM   #7
lee n. field

Quote:
So a Taurus TCP 738 are going for $199.
For that price it would be the gun + one magazine only package.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 21, 2012, 12:14 PM   #8
kahrguy

mongoslow Can you better desribe the finish on the slide. There basic TCP has a oxid finished steel slide and sells LGS price of 185 dollars with one mag. Then there are several SS slides and and Brite black over SS slides with 2 mags that LGS for about 250 to 260. add 70 dollars for fmj ammo and you have a between 255 dollars and 220 dollars new. Guess you have two deside on the model it is.

Is there a C in the serial mumber. If so that model does tend to run well . We have two of them in the family that have well more than 250 rounds fired in each with mixed brands and HP with out a single issue. Of the micro 380s it is a very good pistol with a slide hold open figure and a trigger pull the other can't touch at under 5lbs.

Now if you want a defence pistol and have only 250 dollars to spend atleast buy a kel tec p11. Lite weight at 14oz ,10 round cap, +P rated with a wide enough grip so recoil is easier to deal with for newer shooters. Not pretty, not a range gun but a low cost solid cc pistol.
Old December 21, 2012, 11:18 PM   #9
AdamSean

I think these are a decent choice once proven to be reliable. I just don't like the large baseplate on the mags so I went with a Diamondback DB380. Those Taurus TCPs have the best trigger out of the box of any DAO .380 ACP.
Old December 21, 2012, 11:23 PM   #10
9mm

Quote:
but don't buy 380. It sucks.
^ I seen them new sometimes in like fliers for $199.99 or $220... WASTE OF MONEY< LCP is just a few dollars more!
Old December 22, 2012, 12:32 AM   #11
bonefamily

Sounds like the OP is not only getting a gun that both he and his wife like, but also helping a friend in getting back some of his loss for not liking it. I say if you like it, and if the friend is a good one then it is a win - win.
Old December 22, 2012, 01:40 AM   #12
Yung.gunr

I really like my TCP, not sure if I would pay that much for it. I got mine as part of a trade of a gun I wanted to get rid of. Heck, I was close to giving that old gun away. I took the TCP, pocket holster and 100 rounds of ammo and got out of that LGS before he could back out of the deal.

The only pocket gun I would trade it for is probably a Sig. But those are like 3-4 times the $$$$.
Old December 22, 2012, 02:25 AM   #13
artoo

TCPs are great little guns.

Mine is in .32 ACP though.
Old December 22, 2012, 08:22 AM   #14
1stmar

I agree w 9mm on this, LCP is the best in this category and 380 is sufficient.
Old December 22, 2012, 04:59 PM   #15
glove

The TCP is a great pistol have one like it.

"I seen them new sometimes in like fliers for $199.99 or $220... WASTE OF MONEY< LCP is just a few dollars more!"

Why spend the extra $ for a Kel-Tec rip off. Just get the P3AT for a few $ less.
And yes I had a P3AT also liked it a lot but sold it to get a Taurus TCP.
And remember the Taurus and Kel-Tec have a life time warranty that follows the pistol so if you buy it used it is covered for life. What is the LCP warranty 1 year?
anyway.
Old December 22, 2012, 04:59 PM   #16
daferg2

I actually had both an LCP and a TCP at the same time. Shot them both quite a bit, sold the LCP. My TCP just fit my hand, had a much better trigger, and grouped better, and was just as reliable as the LCP. Bought my wife one too. Great guns.
Oh, and they're not all $199 new. They do have a stainless and blackened stainless models that sell for more.
Old December 22, 2012, 05:20 PM   #17
seeker_two

Good buy....esp. considering that you got to test it first....
Old December 22, 2012, 10:41 PM   #18
Garycw

Go for it if you like it.

I bought one with crimson trace and carry it a lot. Saw another LN used for $200 & picked it up too as spare. Use quality ammo & maybe polish the feed ramp. I tried tula ammo first with lots of FTF's. good ammo goes bang every time. Has a good bit of recoil, but its one of the lightest, easiest guns to conceal. I have sig P238, tarus pt745, but seem to carry the TCP the most. No safety needed, leave chambered, draw & bang bang bang. The Ruger doesn't feel right in my hand, TCP. Does.
Old December 23, 2012, 01:42 PM   #19
lee n. field

Quote:
And remember the Taurus and Kel-Tec have a life time warranty that follows the pistol so if you buy it used it is covered for life. What is the LCP warranty 1 year?
Uhhh, no. On several counts.

Kel Tec warranty is to the original owner only.

Ruger has no written warranty, but in practical fact covers the gun, no matter who owns it.

Taurus' warranty is lifetime, and follows the firearm, this is true.

I have an LCP, but would own any of those three. It's when you get into the weird off brands than function and service get dicey. Admittedly Taurus edges up on that category, but I've mostly heard good things about their TCP.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 23, 2012, 02:14 PM   #20
glove

"Uhhh, no. On several counts. Kel Tec warranty is to the original owner only."

Yes I see they changed there policy because so many P3AT's are out there. This is from KT.

Warranty Update: Second Owner Responsibilities
08-05-2011
Hello from Kel-Tec!

We wanted to take a minute to update all of our Kel-Tec customers about what we term "second owner responsibilities" in regards to our lifetime warranty. Since the founding of Kel-Tec we've always had a lifetime warranty that technically applied to original owners only. We have never actually enforced this rule and would accept all Kel-Tec weapons under this lifetime warranty regardless of ownership.

As the years pass and more and more Kel-Tec weapons enter circulation, the cost of offering a blanket lifetime warranty increases drastically. To stave off some of these costs, we have officially decided to enforce our lifetime warranty, which applies only to the original owner of the firearm.

That said, all Kel-Tec owners may still enjoy great service, however if you are not the original owner we will ask that shipping be paid in addition to a flat $40.00 labor fee. Depending on the severity of the repair we may need to charge for parts as well. This applies only to those who are NOT the original owner of their weapon.

As a courtesy we have decided to grandfather those who have already been through the repair system as original owners. So if your weapon has already been in to us prior to this implementation, we will still treat you as the original owner even if you are not.

In order to prove original ownership we will need a copy of the bill of sale in the owner's name, or a copy of the form 4473 that was filled out with the firearm when it is sent in. Indication of the date of purchase must be included. If you have trouble obtaining these items, please call in to our customer service and we will see what can be done to help you.

As yet another courtesy, we may be able to reimburse up to $35.00 of shipping charges IF the difficulty can be duplicated by Kel-Tec (be sure you aren't limp-wristing before sending your weapon in) and the following criteria are met:

Shipping refund requests must be provided in writing, along with a copy of the original shipping receipt, and must accompany both the firearm and the bill of sale at the time of service. The firearm must meet Kel-Tec's criteria and be approved by the servicing gunsmith before eligibility will be considered.

Additionally, most FFL holders or licensed gunsmiths can ship a firearm back to the manufacturer via a US Mail one rate box for significantly less than a civilian can. We highly suggest going that route for sending weapons in as it is the least cost prohibitive.

If you have any questions please call our customer service at 321-631-0068 or 1-800-515-9983 .
anyway.
Old December 23, 2012, 04:07 PM   #21
tristar viper

I wouldn't even consider an LCP over my TCP....the LCP is a disgusting little pistol and I have shot more than one of them. It would be LAST on my list of all guns in that category, without question.
This TCP has been 100% reliable for over 1000 rounds, has a truly great trigger if you ask me, groups much better, and it's even half ways comfortable to shoot. I'm on the verge of buying another I like this one so well. The newest ones I noticed are "C" serial numbers. Mine is a "B". My buddy Mike has two of the "B" guns and hasn't had an issue with either of them.
Old December 23, 2012, 06:55 PM   #22
leadchucker

Lifetime warranty or not, quality or not, Taurus customer service always comes up a bit lacking, in comparison to Ruger or Keltec.
Old December 23, 2012, 08:43 PM   #23
marv

TCP is in my pocket all the time except when I go to the post office. Best .380 I've owned. Maybe you can get the price down on this one. I'd recommend it for the right price. You know it runs, no sales tax, No Paper Trail. Something to consider.
Old January 14, 2013, 02:13 PM   #24
Alabama James

Feed problem with new PT 738

Wife purchased new Taurus PT 738. Have not fired the gun yet but have tried to feed live round through it. Problem is that the rounds keep hanging on the trough leading to the barrel instead of sliding up the trough into the barrel. Only thing I see that I question is when the slide is open you can move the barrel freely back and forth and up and down. Shouldn't the barrel be held solid so the round can be feed into it?
Old January 14, 2013, 06:28 PM   #25
tristar viper

That's how these guns are. Mine does the exact same thing and so does my buddies. You have to really "slingshot" the slide to chamber the first round, or you can even slap the back of the slide with your hand. If you call Taurus, they will tell you that's a normal thing and that it does not cause a problem. And I've had my TCP for almost 2 years....I have NEVER had a malfunction with this gun, other than my wife's very light reloads. This gun has been as good as my Glock, and it's better in every category than any LCP if you ask me; better trigger, better grip, less recoil, more accurate. And that's personal experience talking, I've shot a number of LCP's and I simply would not have one. Most awful little monster I've ever shot. I can shoot this Taurus all day at the range, and I have. I love this little gun.