The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 15, 2000, 05:25 PM   #1
rr41mag

I am apt to stay in a stand for up to 8 hrs and take a supply of goodies to munch on but was wondering do any of yall take coffee with you without the hassle of lugging the big thermos? A camel back would be nice but will they hold hot stuff?

------------------
A son is the best friend you'll ever have!
Old November 15, 2000, 09:42 PM   #2
BadMedicine

No, camelbak's aren't for hot stuff, though that would be nice and warm Maybe they make them for hot too, or a competing brand, but the ones I've seen were "for cold beverages only." We usually take a themos on hunts. It may be a pain, but it'll keep you warms, and awake all day.
Old November 16, 2000, 09:52 AM   #3
Strayhorn

A thermos is about the only option for hot stuff. However, I brew my own using the GI-issue canteen cup and cooker with a trioxane bar. To protect the wood of the stand, I use the top off a can of sardines (another staple of tree-stand eats!) under the trioxane bar. For coffee I use those coffee bags, similar to tea bags, from Folgers. I swipe powdered creamer from the snack bar here at work.

The other thing to consider about coffee is what happens later. If you don't want to whizz off the stand and leave a stink for the deer to find and avoid (not to mention the effect if the wind is in the wrong direction), I make "piddle packs" similar to the ones military pilots use by putting a cheap, disposable sponge in a Zip-Loc baggie. I toss it in a dumpster after use.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC
Old November 16, 2000, 02:30 PM   #4
Bruegger

I believe that the winter-sports models of the Camelback can hold warm stuff as well. Maybe not boiling hot stuff, though. Check out the "Zoid" for example at www.camelback.com
Old November 16, 2000, 03:23 PM   #5
Robert the41MagFan

Drinking anything from a tree stand is a bad idea. I'm not into using attractants or hiding scents, don't really believe that they work much. But the smell of human urine is to strong to ignore. Once you relieve yourself around a hunting area, it is generally ruined. A good tree stand hunt last about 4 to 6 hours and a good location is one that can be hunted frequently during the season. Pee before entering your hunting area, drink only to wet your mouth and relieve yourself while you are waiting for the game to go down (Most always get strong bladder pains after a kill shot. Why is that?).

Robert
Old November 16, 2000, 03:34 PM   #6
CD1

Since we're on the topic...the BEST thing Ive found to piss in is a 32 oz gatorade bottle (the plastic one). The mouth is big enough to hit even when cold and with gloves on, it seals in any scent, and its just the right size to not be a burden. Just dump it out when you get to the road, rinse it out at home, maybe a little descent spray and youre good to go for next time. As a bonus it fits perfectly in the frame of my Old Man tree stand while Im hunting.
Old November 16, 2000, 09:04 PM   #7
jbgood

I've carried a stainless steel "thermos" filled with hot coffee with me for years. I use the 1 qt. size...small enough to handle and fits nicely into a small pack.

When it comes to the after effects... well, I've worked in healthcare for years and usually manage to get away from the workplace with one of those cheap, disposable, plastic urinals that have sealing lids on them. I leave it stuck upside down on a limb a good distance from my stand, pick it up on the way in, empty it and stick it back on the limb on the way out. Never seems to bother the deer and lasts all season.
Old November 18, 2000, 11:42 AM   #8
blackamos

The last deer I shot in a tree stand was while drinking coffee and eating a snack. I had to drop the snack set down the coffee and grab my gun while the deer was only 75 yards away. It did not seem to bother him.