The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 4, 2011, 10:29 PM   #1
lostinthewoods

Buckshot through turkey choke?

I have an 870 that is occasional hd and sometimes squirrel gun for the "old lady". Added the choke to extend the muzzle past the mag extension. Just wondering if buckshot was safe and maybe sabots for hd. Any feedback will be appreciated.
Old July 5, 2011, 10:50 AM   #2
mete

Turkey chokes are not safe for buckshot or sabot IMHO.Sabot rounds are designed for rifled barrels !!
Old July 5, 2011, 11:30 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Even if it were safe, it would likely deform the shot enuff that you would suffer more "flyers" than it is worse.

For HD, put in a regular sort of choke that patterns well in THAT gun.

You don't need to worry about mag extension beyond muzzle until it is like more than a foot beyond or more.

If you are trying to protect the mag extension, mag or the threads from accidental impact... The barrel would be destroyed if you bang the choke tube that hard on something.

Brent
Old July 5, 2011, 12:47 PM   #4
shortwave

I don't know if I'd go so far to say that shooting 00buck out of a turkey choke would be 'unsafe' but as hogdogs said, probably not a good idea for the reason he stated. Pellet deformation and to many fliers.

Assuming your bbl is a smoothbore. If you want to shoot sabot slugs, get a rifled IC choke.
Old July 5, 2011, 01:49 PM   #5
columbia_shotguneer

I agree with the others, buckshot just doesn't pattern that well through anything tighter than a full choke. If you are deadset on keeping that setup you wear now, use #4 buckshot.
Old July 5, 2011, 01:51 PM   #6
lostinthewoods

Thanks guys. Guess I need to pattern with 6 lead and 00 buck. Got improved, modified, full and extra full to play with. Glad I only bought one box of those hornady sabots, says right there on the box for rifled barrells only.
Old July 5, 2011, 07:07 PM   #7
Gehrhard

No. And I have seen aftermarket choke makers publish as much.